2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cash For Clunkers

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cash For Clunkers

Went to the local Ford Stealership today and the *******s offered me 4500 for my 08 Lariat... It was unsolicited and meant as a joke, but I could literally turn it in to be crushed if I wanted to and get the rebate because of the mileage it gets. I think I'll keep it.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:40 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Funny. Turns out they strip the cars down and allow most of the parts to be resold with the exception of the powertrain. They actually fill the engines with a GLASS SOLUTION to make sure they don't get resold.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I think the Clunker program will end up being a huge scam that Dealerships are going to profit hugely from.

Suppose you have a later model car that is worth about $6-8,000 on the open market. You bring it in for a Trade, and the Dealership says "Sorry, it's only worth $4,500. We don't want it otherwise"...you eventually cave in and take the deal.

In reality, the Dealership will just do a normal transaction for the trade and claim it was part of the Clunkers program. Then they can flip your car for it's true value and have fleeced you quite easily.

BTW, anybody else see that the Clunkers program is already out of money?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:08 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tylus
I think the Clunker program will end up being a huge scam that Dealerships are going to profit hugely from.

Suppose you have a later model car that is worth about $6-8,000 on the open market. You bring it in for a Trade, and the Dealership says "Sorry, it's only worth $4,500. We don't want it otherwise"...you eventually cave in and take the deal.

In reality, the Dealership will just do a normal transaction for the trade and claim it was part of the Clunkers program. Then they can flip your car for it's true value and have fleeced you quite easily.

Everything I've been reading about it, and after talking to the dealer yesterday, it's people bringing in vehicles that are worth 1G and getting the 4500 rebate, dealer rebates, vehicle rebates, etc. People are making out on this one.

Then it gets sold to a recycler after the engine gets toasted. They strip it and have 180 days to crush it.

Congress just gave them another 2 billion to keep it going. they sold over 200,000 cars in 4 days the first time.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:47 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,090 Likes on 4,180 Posts
Originally Posted by tylus

There is an extensive paper trail that the dealership has to follow in order to claim a C4C deal. The customer must sign a form that acknoweldges the program.

ALL of the cars we have taken in were worth far less than the 3500/4500. There are however...a lot of misconceptions amongst the general public about how the program works. One of the most prevalent...at least from my experience...is that folks think they get the government allowance on top of their trade allowance.

I have run into quite a large number of folks who are asking me to "Bend" the rules for their benefit...so...it's obvious that there are scammers on both sides of the aisle.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:43 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
This Cash for Clunkers is in my opinion is a another waste of tax dollars ..

Why should my Tax dollars go to a program that promotes Commie Car companys..

There is a Dealer in Boston that is taking clunkers and reselling them again...

This program needs to be stopped....WASTE WASTE WASTE...

Old 08-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Roller150
Senior User
Thats when people need to be smart about their money. If you know your car/truck is worth more than $4500 why take that amount? I think the program is abused or not used right by everyone and the Government cant even get this right. HEALTH CARE THEY WANT TO HANDLE TOO??? OH GOD HELP US ALL!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 AM
hp246
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I used it with a 94 F-150 wd that the body was totally rusted out, the engine and trans were both shot. Had a lot less into than the $4500 I got for the cash for clunkers. Just figured I got something back for all the taxes I've paid for the past 38 years.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:45 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 851 Likes on 769 Posts
According to the gov web site.. wife's 04 Grand Marquis and son's 2000 GM qualify for "clunkers" while 93 Crown Vic (190K miles) does not. BK would know for sure, but, I heard the feds can't keep up with the paperwork....

Old 08-02-2009, 10:40 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 08-02-2009, 12:07 PM
AlbusPlaustrum06
Senior User
Sadly I just sold my 98 truck in May for about half what I could have gotten on the CARS program...would have worked out well for my wife getting her car last week.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:26 PM
stanger_missle
Senior User
I have 2 subordinates that are thinking about the C4C program. One guy has a 1997 Explorer Sport. Bought it in 2007 for $2000. Just had it in the shop. Needs new diff carrier bearings and new ujoints. Besides being beat to hell, its rusty, the front swaybar brackets broke and it has a ton of miles on it. It qualifies for C4C. There is no way he could get $4500 out of it selling it private party. He's looking at a brand new Civic (hes totally not into cars and has zero mechanical ability). I think its a great deal for him.

The other guy I supervise has a 1996 Lincoln MKVIII. It has 180k miles. The rear air suspension went along time ago. Its beat up, but runs good. He needs something that gets better gas mileage and goes better in the snow. EPA.gov rates his car at 18MPG combined, but on the C4C list, it does not qualify. According to C4C, it is rated at 19MPG combined. However the 1998 MKVIII qualifies. How is that possible? Its the same engine and transmission. He wants to get a Kia Spectra 5. Basic, cheap transportation with a good warranty.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:11 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,090 Likes on 4,180 Posts
Originally Posted by sglaine
This Cash for Clunkers is in my opinion is a another waste of tax dollars ..

Why should my Tax dollars go to a program that promotes Commie Car companys..

There is a Dealer in Boston that is taking clunkers and reselling them again...

This program needs to be stopped....WASTE WASTE WASTE...
Do you have a link to an article about the dealer in Boston...or...is this something you've heard???

I read both Boston papers and I haven't seen this published.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 AM
CCBennett_1
Senior User
I have a ’95 dodge ram V10 that looks about as good as it runs… terrible. EPA rated it 10-12 (I think) right out of the box. I wish I would have known about this program back in May when I bought my ‘04 Lariat. I kept the dodge because it was pointless to get rid of something that I might be able to use on the farm. Besides, the bees have made quite a nice home in it.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by BIGKEN
Do you have a link to an article about the dealer in Boston...or...is this something you've heard???

I read both Boston papers and I haven't seen this published.

It was on Channel 4 WBZ..It was the Honda Gong-Bong Dealer from there..

He said that the Gov owed him like 800 Thousand for the program so far and if he did not get paid he was going to sell the clunkers.

This Gov is all messed up on this..They bailed like GM and Dodge...Program should be for the Big 3 not these Gong Bong Car Companies..

And people taking Gas savings over safety...My God what are they thinking

Quick Reply: Cash For Clunkers