1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Rear I.D. lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Cass, can you post up both day and night pics?

Old 08-09-2009, 12:03 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
bpounds, I assume you used gel filled wire taps? If not you would have corroded wires in a short amount of time. Either way, I prefer to cut the existing wires, then tie them back together with the new wires "doubled up" on one side with the butt connectors that have shrink tubing on either end, or solder them. Of course, I have alot more corrosion problems up here with the road salt than some southern states, but none-the-less, for guys adding these lights in, make sure your connections are sealed well or they will not last.

For my truck, I used a 15" bar made for a trailer. It's clear plastic, has the 3 LED ID lights as well as both sides light up with the turn signals and brake lights. Very nice inexpensive unit. I did have to drill holes though, as the spacing is a little smaller than the factory holes. On an older truck, I made my own with some aluminum channel and LED lights from Northern.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
When I did mine, I used incandescents. They just look more "natural" to me.

But that's just me. The LEDs use far less current.

And yes, waterproof connections last a lot longer while remaining trouble-free. Reliability is much more important to me than go-fast.

It's what happens when you get old.....

Pop

Old 08-09-2009, 12:22 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by wizardsr
bpounds, I assume you used gel filled wire taps?

No, I didn't. I've had perfect luck with those wire taps, but now that you mention it, that may be the worst place on the whole truck to use them. Although the loom under there wasn't very dirty. Anyway, like you said, we don't have the salt considerations that other places do.

As for soldering, I will never solder unsupported wire splices. I know that goes against the grain here on this group. All I can say is, there is a reason why stranded wire is used on machinery, and solder just turns stranded wire into solid wire, unless it is properly supported.

Time will tell, and it won't be a big problem either way.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:58 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Originally Posted by bpounds
No, I didn't. I've had perfect luck with those wire taps, but now that you mention it, that may be the worst place on the whole truck to use them. Although the loom under there wasn't very dirty. Anyway, like you said, we don't have the salt considerations that other places do.

As for soldering, I will never solder unsupported wire splices. I know that goes against the grain here on this group. All I can say is, there is a reason why stranded wire is used on machinery, and solder just turns stranded wire into solid wire, unless it is properly supported.

Time will tell, and it won't be a big problem either way.
I would, at a minimum, wrap them in good electrical tape (super 33+ is my preference). The one you'll have problems with the most is the "hot" one for the taillamps, it will turn green pretty quick unless protected from moisture. In my younger "less experienced" days, I've had wires corrode and actually break from corrosion (the wire taps fall off with nothing but green powder in them). Imagine my surprise when I came back after 4 months of the truck being parked to find I had no taillights due to a broken wire...

As for solder, that's a new one to me. You're solding a 1/2 inch section of stranded wire... So what if that 1/2" section doesnt flex. I've never had, nor have I ever seen, a problem of what you're describing. I think you're going to be far better off soldering a 1/2" of unsupported wire than using a wire tap with no protection from moisture. Heck, I even solder the wires on the back of my trailer plugs and they hold up a whole lot longer than dielectric/taping/etc. A lot easier to do it right the first time than have problems later on down the road. Again, no offense intended, just providing my insight.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:42 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by wizardsr
Again, no offense intended, just providing my insight.
Of course, no offense taken at all. I'm not a fan of those taps either. Not for anything critical. In this case, the worst that can happen is my center light would go dark. Like it was before I installed it.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:11 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still for adding the OEM connector in. Just so you don't have to splice more than once if anything ever happens to the light bar...

Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find that the best waterproofing is the type of heat shrink tubing that contains a melting adhesive inside it. The adhesive melts as the tubing shrinks, forcing it throughout the splice. Waterproofs and provides support for soldered joints. I even use it over crimp splices.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:48 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
That's referred to as "self-potting".

Good stuff.

Pop

Old 08-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Cass
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Furian,
I don't have any of them working, I will have to take some photos. Will try to post them tomorrow evening.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by Cass
Furian,
I don't have any of them working, I will have to take some photos. Will try to post them tomorrow evening.
That's cool Cass! Whenever you have time... Thanks!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:22 PM
n4aof
Senior User
No fancy pictures yet but I used an LED combination ID Marker and Brake light (ebay item 350237480478 "LED combination 3 light bar, high mount brake light red" from "randpcarriages)" mounted in the usual location centered below the tailgate. I just installed a flat four-connector trailer plug on the wiring from the light and plugged in into the unused connector (my trailer uses the 7-pin plug).

Works like a charm on my '04 F250 SD. Almost invisible when not lit. Looks good as a marker light when the taillights are lit. Also serves as a center brake light (although not really high enough to give all the benefit of a CHSL) but bright enough to be noticed -- especially if you are following a bit too closely.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:26 AM
hawk
Posting Guru
i actually picked one up at wal-mart a few years back had to hit it with some black spray paint then wired into the parking lights.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 PM
CHIEFEAVES
Senior User
jonrjen, where did you purchase the 60 in kit? I would like one for my F250. Harley

Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 PM
enduro4231
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I bought a stainless LED ID bar similar to the OP's from Autozone and grounded it directly through the bed via the bolts, then ran a single power wire to my driver's side taillight. Voila, comes on with parking or head lamps, and no issues.

Quick Reply: Installing Rear I.D. lights