1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ghost in the 215 Machine

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:37 PM
oldblue92
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghost in the 215 Machine

Today I enlisted the help of a fine woman to crank the engine while I looked for spark from the high tension leads and coil. This seems straight forward and easy enough. But, when I attached my tester and asked her to turn the key and push the ignition button, there was only a click. I thought, "oh no, the battery is out of juice." and put the charger on it. After a short time I checked the voltage, got set again and asked her to crank it - "click". So I was confused. A few minutes later I started pulling on a lead (no. 4) and the engine started cranking on it's own, "Chug chug chug chug..." My helper started screaming, she hadn't done anything, couldn't stop it, and it *was* really strange. It stopped in a minute. So, why do you think it turned over by itself??? and what exactly does the key do? I have two guesses, a ghost, or something funny w/ the solenoid. Plus, how should I make sure it doesn't happen when working on it - Lucky my hand wasn't in the metal fan.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I think you answered you own question;

Originally Posted by oldblue92
Today I enlisted the help of a fine woman to crank the engine

Old 08-01-2009, 12:41 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I check the starter button. Sounds like it could have a short. The button grounds the wire leading to the solenoid, if the wire on the back of the swich isn't fasten correctly or the wire is worn you might not have a good contact but then something might have nudged the wire and it grounded out.

If this isn't your problem then refer back tho Old F1's post.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:03 AM
oldblue92
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol... i'll be quiet and check the switch