2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sct tuner not letting engine rev

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 AM
countryboy69
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sct tuner not letting engine rev

ok yesterday i got an sct limewire 9600 for my 2006 f-150 with 5.4l.

It has all been updated. when i do a tune it still wont rev past 5200 rpm. trans and engine seem to be tuned but wont go past the stock rev limiter. in drive or manual 1.

87 tune in it and only changed the rev limiter setting to 6000 in drive.

what gives?

thanks for any help

Old 07-31-2009, 07:24 PM
countryboy69
Junior User
the more i use this programmer the less i like it.
no fuel economy display like the edge, very little pid data to chose from. i cant even find 6 pids to display that i would want to look at.

very little performance difference. mostly trans in 87 octane. haven't tried 91 yet.

still dosen't rev any higher.

for the price of this tuner it is not worth it.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm very happy with my SCT X3 so far. Trans shifts better, some fuel mileage improvement, and huge throttle response improvemnt even in the 87 tow tune.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:18 PM
countryboy69
Junior User
yes the trans shifts better and there is better throttle response, but was expecting more options to adjust. i'm not real impressed that i have to buy custom tunes to get some more rpm's out of it. my buddies edge is set whatever he wants.

0-60 times are the same for stock and 87 tunes. so whats the point of this? cant see trans temp for when i'm towing which is why i got the livewire. no mpg pid. very disappointed.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know anyone who has been totally happy with the Livewire. I shied away from it also due the cost and some of the shortcomings I heard about. I have thought about getting an Edge to monitor things. I don't need an mpg PID as I hand calculate every tank and I know by the trip odometer and fuel gage when I need gas. I've never had a huge variance on fuel mileage or range, so that's all I need. Tranny temp and some other features would be nice, though.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:57 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The reason why SCT doesn't allow too many adjustments is because most people have no idea what they are doing with the tuner, and this is an example of that. Increasing the rev limiter in drive will NOT increase the shift point mph/rpm. You have to raise each shift point for the particular shift. (1-2, 2-3, 3-4 and etc) Besides on a stock or mildly modified truck raising the shift points will NOT increase the performance of the truck and in most cases make it accelerate slower. The stock canned tunes that come with the Livewire are fairly mild tunes and the shift and TQ lockup strategies are not much different than stock. A custom tune from a shop that knows what there doing will be much better than a canned tune. Where did you buy the tuner from?

You should of did your homework before purchasing the Livewire. You should have bought an XCal3 for the tuning and a Scangauge II to monitor trans temp among many other things its capable of doing.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:03 PM
fitz888
Senior User
There are hundreds of pids to chose from you have to use livelink to load the ones you want.I added trans temp and several others to mine and love it with custom tunes

Old 08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
magnet1
Senior User
I agree....Should of went through Mike at 5 Star Tuning to not only get the right tuner for you, but to get the proper service to back the product up. With the money spent, you should be able to ask these questions to who sold it to you and get results. I have the Xcal and am very happy with all aspects of it.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
need to read your manual a bit more, and buy some custom tunes.

as fitz888 mentioned, you have to use the software to load up the PID's. There are only so many loaded into the onboard memory at any one time

I gave the Livewire alot of serious though for my old FX4...but then I got to talking with the Mustang guys and some of the hardcore performance F-150 guys.

I heard nothing but bad things about the Livewire from them all. Several guys were on their 2nd Livewire. The 1st just randomly bricked up one day on several of them.

The SCT X-3 is a wonderful product though. I plan on grabbing it for my Mustang. And eventually an Edge for my Expy if they ever come out. I'd love the Livewire functionality...but it's still a basket case full of issues, and a major PITA to mount on the dash

Old 08-03-2009, 02:42 PM
countryboy69
Junior User
i did my homework. Everybody on this site is pretty much for the sct.
they have also recommended the livewire to get the guages as opposed the buying a x-3 and separate guages on this site. the sct site is not specific as to what user options are adjustable or what pids are available with what application.

i try to read the previous posts so i dont have to bother people with another which tuner to buy thread.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Did you buy from Mike from 5 star? I got the x3 with custom tunes. 87 econ 91 tow and 91 performance. All of them have gave me noticable power compared to stock. I was going to get canned tunes but Mike talked me out of it and said to get anything noticable to get the custom tunes. Maybe thats what you need. From what I hear the livewire is the same as the x3 but can hold canned and custom tunes up to 6 so I hear. I have raised my rev limiter in Neutral and it revs up high. I dont know whats wrong with your livewire other than they are canned tunes. Try emailing mike. His website is
www.5startuning.com Sorry to hear about your problems though. Try that website for the pids you want. I will look and see what I can find too. My x3 is great though.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Originally Posted by tylus
need to read your manual a bit more, and buy some custom tunes.

as fitz888 mentioned, you have to use the software to load up the PID's. There are only so many loaded into the onboard memory at any one time

I gave the Livewire alot of serious though for my old FX4...but then I got to talking with the Mustang guys and some of the hardcore performance F-150 guys.

I heard nothing but bad things about the Livewire from them all. Several guys were on their 2nd Livewire. The 1st just randomly bricked up one day on several of them.

The SCT X-3 is a wonderful product though. I plan on grabbing it for my Mustang. And eventually an Edge for my Expy if they ever come out. I'd love the Livewire functionality...but it's still a basket case full of issues, and a major PITA to mount on the dash
Hey Tylus I just visited the Sct website and they had a banner that said they now 07-09 F150 and Expeditions. I know you said you wanted an edge but Sct has the product for your expedition.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Still Smoking
Hey Tylus I just visited the Sct website and they had a banner that said they now 07-09 F150 and Expeditions. I know you said you wanted an edge but Sct has the product for your expedition.
yeah, saw that...they've been supported since the vehicles first arrived on the scene. it just took a while for the tuners to catch up.

but I'm set my mind on a Edge for my Expy, and a X-Cal III for my Mustang. Just heard of too many problems with the Livewire.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Ya dont blame you. I didnt know they had anything for the expy yet. I didnt really look but I would imagine you can get the x3 for the expy to but not sure.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:43 AM
fitz888
Senior User
My livewire has been in for 7 months now and I've never had any problems with it.I have never tried the canned tunes but 5 stars custom tunes make a huge improvement over stock.I will never own another ford without tunes.

Quick Reply: sct tuner not letting engine rev