1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need a little HOLLEY help here...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need a little HOLLEY help here...

Hi Folks,
I need some help here... About a year ago I bought this holley 4bbl carb from a guy who had it on Craig's list. I want to put it on the 351W that I am going to put into my '53 F-100. I need to get a kit and rebuild it but I have no idea what to ask for or where to look on the carb for any sort of identification. It is a double pumper and it's supposed to be a 600 or 650 but I can't remember which. I have also seen that there are adjustable metering blocks available for these but there again, I wouldn't know what to ask for. We do have a real parts store here, (as opposed to AutoBone, etc.) so I think they can help if I at least know something about it when I go in.

A little help here please.

Later Folks...

Old 07-31-2009, 09:27 AM
twise
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of Holley's part #'s are stamped on the front of the air horn. Write those #'s down and do a internet search. Also you can call the Holley Tech line. Phone #'s should be on their website. Make sure when you take it apart to soak it overnight in a carb cleaning solution. There are many small pin holes in the carb that gum up and only submersing them in the carb solution will clean it. I found that out the hard way, rebuilt one then had to take it apart to soak it later. Good Luck.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 AM
rockher_man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Holley...

Hey Dave...

Can ya post the list numbers...or any numbers for that matter...and
some of us can check in our reference manuals for ya and see what's
what...

At least it should CFM...maybe some other pertinent info...

Couldn't hurt......

Old 07-31-2009, 09:47 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Hey rockher_man,

Thanks... I'll check it ouit today and get back with that info. your help is appreciated.

Later Man...

Old 07-31-2009, 09:49 AM
RicManSr
Cross-Country
What ever you do, don't buy a rebuild kit UNLESS it's a HOLLEY kit. It must be manufactured by HOLLEY. Not an off brand that fits holley. This will save you from buying another kit later.

Also, I don't think that is a double pumper carb. I'm looking at it & only see ONE metering block, not two. I had that same carb on my 65 cobra. I could be wrong, (I'm not the expert here) But I believe thats a 4 barrel with vacuum secondaries. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in. Check this site: www.holley.com

Here's the links for rebuild kits: http://www.holley.com/types/Trick%20...ild%20Kits.asp

HTH
Ricky

Old 07-31-2009, 09:53 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Hey twise,

I'll see what I can do about finding those numbers and get back to you guys and the Holley site. You are preachin' to the choir on that one buddy. I've been down the re-do road several times myself. I also purge every port, passage and hole with pressured solvent and then lots of good dry air at about 100 PSI. Thanks for the help Man.

Later Man...

Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 AM
rockher_man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Holley original parts!

It might sound silly...but I HAVE to agree with RicMan on this
one brother...

Kinda of a been-there-done-that thing......

Save yourself the headaches early-on......

-

Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 AM
LM14
Senior User
That looks like a 3310-1 which is a 750cfm vacuum secondary, it is not a double pumper. Look on the front of the choke air horn on the driver's side. It's an early carb since it has the pot metal manual choke housing. It could also be a GM 650 or one of their odd sized carbs. Really need the number off the air horn. You can decode all the numbers yourself on Holley's site. Any parts store should be able to get you a rebuild kit for a vacuum secondary Holley. Stick with either Holley, Barry Grant, Quick Fuels or Bo Laws pieces and you won't go wrong.

Let me know if you need more,
SPark

Old 07-31-2009, 11:29 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Howdy,

Holley, has an excellent support site you can easily look up your carb "list" number.

http://www.holley.com/TechService/ListNumber.asp

http://www.holley.com/TechService/

http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...%20Listing.pdf

Cheers,

Rick

Old 07-31-2009, 11:31 AM
RicManSr
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by rockher_man
It might sound silly...but I HAVE to agree with RicMan on this
one brother...

Kinda of a been-there-done-that thing......

Save yourself the headaches early-on......

-
It's NEVER silly to agree with RicManSr.......even when I'm wrong, I'll never admit it.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
OK Folks,

I looked at the carb and it is marked as follows:

LIST 3310-2

0816 (date code I believe)

That may be enough info to get a kit. I am going to check this afternoon. I looked at the Holley site but they seem to want to know way too much about the vehicle and none of that is available or would apply in this case. All I want to know is what I asked in the first place.

Thanks...

Old 07-31-2009, 01:14 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RicManSr
What ever you do, don't buy a rebuild kit UNLESS it's a HOLLEY kit. It must be manufactured by HOLLEY. Not an off brand that fits holley. This will save you from buying another kit later.

Also, I don't think that is a double pumper carb. I'm looking at it & only see ONE metering block, not two. I had that same carb on my 65 cobra. I could be wrong, (I'm not the expert here) But I believe thats a 4 barrel with vacuum secondaries. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in. Check this site: www.holley.com

Here's the links for rebuild kits: http://www.holley.com/types/Trick%20...ild%20Kits.asp

HTH
Ricky

Ricky,
Yeah, now that you mention it, I believe you are right. Obviously, I'm not the expert either. So, what is the big problem with non-Holley kits??? Are they lacking in essential parts or just poor quality?

Here is a picture of the number on the carb:

I couldn't find in in their kit list.

Later Man...

Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LM14
That looks like a 3310-1 which is a 750cfm vacuum secondary, it is not a double pumper. Look on the front of the choke air horn on the driver's side. It's an early carb since it has the pot metal manual choke housing. It could also be a GM 650 or one of their odd sized carbs. Really need the number off the air horn. You can decode all the numbers yourself on Holley's site. Any parts store should be able to get you a rebuild kit for a vacuum secondary Holley. Stick with either Holley, Barry Grant, Quick Fuels or Bo Laws pieces and you won't go wrong.

Let me know if you need more,
SPark

Well, you are darn close. As you can see by the pic I posted here, the number is 3310-2 I don't know what the difference is between the 1 and 2 or if there is a difference. Boy is my face red on the double pumper thing. I should know better. I had a 750 DP on a 429 in a dirt track car 30 years ago so I should know better. I guess I just aid that without thinking. Actually this ought to work better for my application anyway. It's going on a 351W with an RV cam in one of my '53 F-100s. I'm not looking to build a racer, but it will keep me from being embarrassed by the rice burners between lights.

Later Man...

Old 07-31-2009, 01:49 PM
RicManSr
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by dave boley
Ricky,
Yeah, now that you mention it, I believe you are right. Obviously, I'm not the expert either. So, what is the big problem with non-Holley kits??? Are they lacking in essential parts or just poor quality?

I couldn't find in in their kit list.

Later Man...
Poor quality on the aftermarket kits. The holley kit is only a couple of dollars more. Spend the 5 dollars more & get the RIGHT KIT. If not, you'll be getting it anyway after you quit cussing at the carb during the first re-build.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RicManSr
Poor quality on the aftermarket kits. The holley kit is only a couple of dollars more. Spend the 5 dollars more & get the RIGHT KIT. If not, you'll be getting it anyway after you quit cussing at the carb during the first re-build.

Yeah, I don't think I need that agrivaiton...

Quick Reply: Need a little HOLLEY help here...