6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

coolant filter is it worth the time.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:59 PM
bartric
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant filter is it worth the time.

If it is how do i do it and is there step by step instructions?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:55 PM
SHAWN056.0
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bartric
Depends on if you love your truck or not. Cheap insurance for the engine. Look in the tech folder.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:05 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
I installed one a few months ago and changed my first filter. I was very disappointed and happy at the same time that I did not find ANY casting sand in the filter. Some have reported major debris in their filter. I purchased mine from dieselsite.com

You can build your own kit from parts, but in my opinion this is a very nice kit. The best part of the kit is the scavenging "TEE" that is included with the kit. It is CNC machined aluminum...very light and very small. I have seen photos of guys that have built there own kits or bought brass to splice into the heater hose. It is alot of rattling material in that small space. My opinion.

Good Luck

Old 07-31-2009, 12:31 AM
gtdan01
Senior User
Dieselsite kit here on both my 04 and 06. My 04 was so bad the first filter was plugged in 200 miles. My 06 is not as bad but about 500 miles and it feels like it is starting to get restrictive. I cut open the one from my 04 and holy cow was there a lot of crap in there.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 AM
conger
Posting Guru
I installed my kit last year after having both EGR and oil cooler replaced. I'm on my forth filter now. First one changed after 3 weeks, cut it open and was surprised at the crap that was in it. 2nd change at 2 months. Not as much debris, but still worth changing. 3rd at about 6 months. Much less that time. The forth is in it now. I'll change it when I do my oil this fall.
I think these kits are good bang for the buck insurance, filters are cheap and easy to change.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:23 AM
bartric
Senior User
Thank you i will look into it what is a good price for the kit?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:28 AM
Cowboy65
Elder User
As you can see from previous post the amount of sand will vary from truck to truck. In some cases a coolant filter is probably not necessary, however you never know until you install one and check. IMO a coolant filter is on the list of essential reliability modifications. It's easy to install and relatively inexpensive.

Step by step instructions are provided if you purchase from DieselSite.

Thank you i will look into it what is a good price for the kit?
Prices are listed on this website:

http://www.dieselsite.com/

Old 07-31-2009, 07:35 AM
bartric
Senior User
ya i went to dieselsite.com and found one, 119.00 is a good deal i am wondering if i should do a coolant flush first at the dealership or when installing will i lose all the coolant and i guess i have to buy the coolant filter ball valves that are sold as a diffrent kit.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:47 AM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Like mentioned previously...you can actually build the kit yourself...but its pretty much sorted by getting it from Dieslsite or DFUser...the inline ball valves can be picked up at any hardware store.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Cowboy65
Elder User
ya i went to dieselsite.com and found one, 119.00 is a good deal i am wondering if i should do a coolant flush first at the dealership or when installing will i lose all the coolant and i guess i have to buy the coolant filter ball valves that are sold as a diffrent kit.
Depends on your mileage as to whether or not a coolant flush should be done. The flush doesn't do much as far as sand removal. I think the flush should be dictated by your mileage (I do flushes every 50K). You don't need any special equipment to do a coolant flush so this can be done yourself unless you just want the dealership to do it. There is a step by step procedure by the user Beachbumcook which works very well if your interested. BTW make sure you use Ford Premium Gold coolant and distilled water. Reference the following thread post #40 for the flush and refill procedure:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ocedure-3.html

I installed my filter when I did a flush but it doesn't have to be done this way. You will loose a little coolant if you install with the system full but not much. Also all of the hardware that is required for installation comes with the kit from DieselSite. If you want to install some extra valves you can but this is not necessary.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 AM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
You can use Zerex G-05 as well..

Old 07-31-2009, 10:24 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
Well put.....Longevity and reliability are the best modifications you can perform first.

Originally Posted by Cowboy65
IMO a coolant filter is on the list of essential reliability modifications. It's easy to install and relatively inexpensive.

Step by step instructions are provided if you purchase from DieselSite.

Prices are listed on this website:

http://www.dieselsite.com/

Old 08-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Mulepick
Senior User
Anyone find the damn coolant test strips yet?

Old 08-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
OK guys... I love these coolant filter threads becuase I believe in them so much... and why.... becuase a picture is worth a 1,000 words and they really work.

By the way... I bought the dieselsite.com coolant filter set-up and have never been happier. I also bought the valves to ensure no coolant loss when I change filters.

The photos that dieselsite.com have posted in the 6.0L section are my photos that I sent them (after being so surprised and happy in what their filter was doing for me and my motor)!!!!

I personally flush my cooling system every 50,000 miles as I believe that no fluid is a "forever fluid" and every 50,000 miles just makes me feel good!!! An low and behold... Ford now states to test one's coolant with a test-strip... but hey... just change it every 50,000 miles and use a coolant filter and never worry about it.

I paid $11.00/gallon for the Ford Premium Gold coolant (at my dealer) - bought 4 gallons.

I pay less than .99/gallon for distilled water at the grocery store - 15 to 16 gallons.

Total cost to flush my system better than the dealer can do.... $60.00!!!!

Have no idea what the test strip costs... but I personally like flushing my system every 50,000 miles and never worrying about it!!!

Maybe some of us knew something long before Ford realized it... that more frequent coolant flushes is the key... and the coolant filter is just a bonus!!!

Flushing alone will not remove the sand and junk in your system... it has to be presurized and running at temp to move the saned into and through the coolant filter... which only running your motor will circulate the sand... other wise it just collects in the low-points of your motor.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:56 PM
bartric
Senior User
I am going to do the filter it cant hurt and anything to help out the 6.0 has to be good i just dont understand why ford doesnt use it.

Quick Reply: coolant filter is it worth the time.