2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 F150 radio remove

Old 07-30-2009, 01:44 PM
dougsbart
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150 radio remove

i have just purchased this truck and i want to pull out factory radio am/fm w/single cd to see if it has pre amps or something for my ipod and or my sirius. it has an aux button, but no jack. if not i want to replace w/aftermarket radio. looking for procedure for removing wood trim and radio w/out breaking the trim. i know ford is usually pretty good about eassy removal in my experience, but this trim doesn't act like it just pops out and i see no hidden screws. i have pics but dont know how to post them. thanks

Old 07-30-2009, 10:24 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
On an '05 don't bother looking for an Aux input or pre-amp outs, you don't have them. Start looking for an good double din HU. To remove the trim around the radio, open the ash tray and gently pull out on the trim bezel, there are three or four clips on either side. You will also need to remove all the AC control harness from the back of the bezel.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:22 PM
dougsbart
Freshman User
What is a double din Hu

Can you tell me what a double din HU is? I would like to keep a stock radio if possible, but don't want to put out what ford would want for a new one. My radio does have an aux button on it.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:23 PM
paperhanger
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dougsbart
Can you tell me what a double din HU is? I would like to keep a stock radio if possible, but don't want to put out what ford would want for a new one. My radio does have an aux button on it.
Look on ebay for a Shaker 500 radio out of a mustang. And be sure to buy one from the same year as your truck. I have one in mine and it rocks.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:32 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
The trim does pop out. I started with a finger on each side by the slide out cup holders, once those two pop out the others are easy. The AUX button on your radio is useless without a PIE adaptor:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=813

You will have to get one of those or just change the radio.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:33 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dougsbart
Double Din (DD) refers to the size of the headunit (HU). The F150 has a big radio that is twice the size of a standard radio. Most people see this as a positive thing because that means our trucks will accommodate most aftermarket navigation or DVD headunits.

Lots of Ford radios have aux buttons, that does not mean there is an aux port. Some even have a phone button but, alas they have no way to integrate a phone. It just means Fords A/V supplier uses the same parts and faceplates for their higher and lower end units. Depending on your model number you may be able to buy and aftermarket aux input adapter. You can go to PACs website and see if one is available.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:47 AM
rayrohret
Freshman User
I am trying to remove the trim so I can get to the ashtray. It won't stay closed. How do I remove the trim?

Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rayrohret
I am trying to remove the trim so I can get to the ashtray. It won't stay closed. How do I remove the trim?
Originally Posted by bridge
To remove the trim around the radio, open the ash tray and gently pull out on the trim bezel, there are three or four clips on either side. You will also need to remove all the AC control harness from the back of the bezel.
Does this help?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:17 AM
rayrohret
Freshman User
I'm trying it, don't want to break any expensive plastic!

Old 09-02-2009, 05:31 AM
Zenkem
Freshman User
We had a thread on this subject about six months ago that disappeared. I installed this system in about thirty minutes and have been enjoying my Zune ever since. It's a plug and play I had to get a constant power source from the cigarette lighter then grounded it to the chasis. The unit it self mounted nicley on top of the ash tray assy (use short screws). Everything is hidden 'cept the jack which I put next to the cigarette lighter. I highly recomend this system to anyone....

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_469FRD4...er.html?tp=422

Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM
magnet1
Senior User
I purchased a cheap interior removal set from Harbor Freight for about $7.00. It is a 7 pc. set of different size pics, chissels and knives all made out of plastic just for interior panels. They work great by not allowing you to put too much pressure on the pieces when prying them out. Also when you get your new head unit; Make it easy on yourself and get a plug adapter from the main harness to the new unit. You can get these from Best Buy for around $20.00. It seems on the pricey side, but will save alot of time and aggravation.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:17 PM
rcsutton
New User
Originally Posted by paperhanger
Look on ebay for a Shaker 500 radio out of a mustang. And be sure to buy one from the same year as your truck. I have one in mine and it rocks.
I have been told that the mounts in the F150 are not the same, did you jsut bolt in and plug in, or does it require a wiring harness and different mounts?
Thanks!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Gearbanger 101
Senior User
If you're looking for an easy way to add Ipod and Sirius to a stock radio....look no further than the bottom of my post. I had this PAC set up that I'm selling in my truck for a few months and it worked flawlessly.

The only reason I changed it was because I wanted DVD, GPS, IPod and Bluetooth all in one and opted for an aftermarket head unit.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
crowndog1
New User
Hey paperhanger, I bought a Shaker 500 for my screw for the mp3 capabilities but I have a stupid question. Where do you plug in the mp3? am I missing a wire that plugs into the back? Any help or even pictures would be appreciated.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Brack1
Junior User
Originally Posted by crowndog1
Hey paperhanger, I bought a Shaker 500 for my screw for the mp3 capabilities but I have a stupid question. Where do you plug in the mp3? am I missing a wire that plugs into the back? Any help or even pictures would be appreciated.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that just means that you can play CDs with MP3s burned onto them. Not quite PMP integration, but still pretty cool to be able to fit hundreds of songs on one CD complete with Title and album information.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 F150 radio remove