Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Freshman User

dougsbart is starting off with a positive reputation.
2005 F150 radio remove

i have just purchased this truck and i want to pull out factory radio am/fm w/single cd to see if it has pre amps or something for my ipod and or my sirius. it has an aux button, but no jack. if not i want to replace w/aftermarket radio. looking for procedure for removing wood trim and radio w/out breaking the trim. i know ford is usually pretty good about eassy removal in my experience, but this trim doesn't act like it just pops out and i see no hidden screws. i have pics but dont know how to post them. thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Postmaster

bridge has a great reputation on FTE.bridge has a great reputation on FTE.bridge has a great reputation on FTE.bridge has a great reputation on FTE.
On an '05 don't bother looking for an Aux input or pre-amp outs, you don't have them. Start looking for an good double din HU. To remove the trim around the radio, open the ash tray and gently pull out on the trim bezel, there are three or four clips on either side. You will also need to remove all the AC control harness from the back of the bezel.

Put Out to Pasture
2011 F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel FX4; 2006 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 5.4L 3V 4x4; 2006 EB Expedition 5.4L 3V; 2002 Mustang Convertible GT 4.6L; 2001 Eddie Bauer Expedition 5.4L
Old 07-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Freshman User

dougsbart is starting off with a positive reputation.
What is a double din Hu

Can you tell me what a double din HU is? I would like to keep a stock radio if possible, but don't want to put out what ford would want for a new one. My radio does have an aux button on it.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Freshman User

paperhanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsbart View Post
Can you tell me what a double din HU is? I would like to keep a stock radio if possible, but don't want to put out what ford would want for a new one. My radio does have an aux button on it.
Look on ebay for a Shaker 500 radio out of a mustang. And be sure to buy one from the same year as your truck. I have one in mine and it rocks.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Postmaster

bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.
The trim does pop out. I started with a finger on each side by the slide out cup holders, once those two pop out the others are easy. The AUX button on your radio is useless without a PIE adaptor:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=813

You will have to get one of those or just change the radio.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Postmaster

bridge has a great reputation on FTE.bridge has a great reputation on FTE.bridge has a great reputation on FTE.bridge has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsbart View Post
Double Din (DD) refers to the size of the headunit (HU). The F150 has a big radio that is twice the size of a standard radio. Most people see this as a positive thing because that means our trucks will accommodate most aftermarket navigation or DVD headunits.

Lots of Ford radios have aux buttons, that does not mean there is an aux port. Some even have a phone button but, alas they have no way to integrate a phone. It just means Fords A/V supplier uses the same parts and faceplates for their higher and lower end units. Depending on your model number you may be able to buy and aftermarket aux input adapter. You can go to PACs website and see if one is available.

Put Out to Pasture
2011 F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel FX4; 2006 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 5.4L 3V 4x4; 2006 EB Expedition 5.4L 3V; 2002 Mustang Convertible GT 4.6L; 2001 Eddie Bauer Expedition 5.4L
Old 08-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Freshman User

rayrohret is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am trying to remove the trim so I can get to the ashtray. It won't stay closed. How do I remove the trim?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Posting Guru

Fishin76 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrohret View Post
I am trying to remove the trim so I can get to the ashtray. It won't stay closed. How do I remove the trim?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge
To remove the trim around the radio, open the ash tray and gently pull out on the trim bezel, there are three or four clips on either side. You will also need to remove all the AC control harness from the back of the bezel.
Does this help?
2000 F250 SD XLT SC LB 4x4 PSD Ebony and Grey 260K, TS 6-pos Chip, 6637, CCV - my DD now.
1994 F150 XL RC LB 69K 5.0L 2wd, My son's DD.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Freshman User

rayrohret is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm trying it, don't want to break any expensive plastic!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:31 AM
Freshman User

Zenkem is starting off with a positive reputation.
We had a thread on this subject about six months ago that disappeared. I installed this system in about thirty minutes and have been enjoying my Zune ever since. It's a plug and play I had to get a constant power source from the cigarette lighter then grounded it to the chasis. The unit it self mounted nicley on top of the ash tray assy (use short screws). Everything is hidden 'cept the jack which I put next to the cigarette lighter. I highly recomend this system to anyone....

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_469FRD4...er.html?tp=422
Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Senior User

magnet1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I purchased a cheap interior removal set from Harbor Freight for about $7.00. It is a 7 pc. set of different size pics, chissels and knives all made out of plastic just for interior panels. They work great by not allowing you to put too much pressure on the pieces when prying them out. Also when you get your new head unit; Make it easy on yourself and get a plug adapter from the main harness to the new unit. You can get these from Best Buy for around $20.00. It seems on the pricey side, but will save alot of time and aggravation.
-MB 17"s
-Hell Bent 2.5" leveling kit
-Blacked Out Headlights
Old 06-25-2010, 02:17 PM
New User

rcsutton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post
Look on ebay for a Shaker 500 radio out of a mustang. And be sure to buy one from the same year as your truck. I have one in mine and it rocks.
I have been told that the mounts in the F150 are not the same, did you jsut bolt in and plug in, or does it require a wiring harness and different mounts?
Thanks!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Senior User

Gearbanger 101 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gearbanger 101 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you're looking for an easy way to add Ipod and Sirius to a stock radio....look no further than the bottom of my post. I had this PAC set up that I'm selling in my truck for a few months and it worked flawlessly.

The only reason I changed it was because I wanted DVD, GPS, IPod and Bluetooth all in one and opted for an aftermarket head unit.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
New User

crowndog1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey paperhanger, I bought a Shaker 500 for my screw for the mp3 capabilities but I have a stupid question. Where do you plug in the mp3? am I missing a wire that plugs into the back? Any help or even pictures would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Junior User

Brack1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowndog1 View Post
Hey paperhanger, I bought a Shaker 500 for my screw for the mp3 capabilities but I have a stupid question. Where do you plug in the mp3? am I missing a wire that plugs into the back? Any help or even pictures would be appreciated.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that just means that you can play CDs with MP3s burned onto them. Not quite PMP integration, but still pretty cool to be able to fit hundreds of songs on one CD complete with Title and album information.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:50 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
150, 2005, 2006, ash, ashtray, aux, auxiliary, close, f150, ford, port, radio, remove, removing, tray