1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 tickets at one time

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Polar Skipper
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you for the info. I'm moving to Ontario in July from the NWT and have just purchased a 2011 F-350 with a GVWR of 10,800lbs, primarily to use for pulling my 9,000lb boat and trailer. I was getting real worried reading this thread until I read your post

Originally Posted by Headviking
I found this on an the MTO wen site.
-------------------------------
Vehicles That Are Exempt From Inspection

A Daily Vehicle Inspection Is Not Required On:

General Vehicles
a truck with a registered gross weight and an actual weight of 4,500 kg or less, whether towing a trailer or not and regardless of the trailer's weight,
a personal use pick-up truck,
a truck leased by an individual for 30 days or less to move their personal goods, or to carry passengers without compensation,
a truck and towed trailer that is being road-tested, for the purposes of repairs, within 30 kilometres of a repair facility where the vehicle is being repaired by the holder of a valid certificate of qualification as an automotive service technician or as a truck and coach technician issued under the Apprenticeship and Certification Act, 1998 or by an apprentice under that Act,
an empty truck operated under the authority of a dealer plate or in-transit permit,
a historic truck that has a vehicle permit for a historic vehicle,
an ambulance, fire apparatus, cardiac arrest emergency vehicle, hearse, casket wagon, mobile crane, and a tow truck,
an emergency vehicle and towed trailer while responding to or returning from an emergency,
a truck and towed trailer while providing relief from an earthquake, flood, fire, famine, drought, epidemic, pestilence or other disaster by transporting passengers or goods,
a trailer converter dolly that is not carrying a trailer, and
a road building machine.
Recreational Vehicles
a motor home and a truck camper with the camper installed, including any type of trailer or vehicle towed by the motor home or truck camper,
a truck, regardless of size and weight, that is towing a house trailer that is being used for personal purposes,
a house trailer being used for personal purposes, and
a car tow dolly.
Farm Vehicles
a two-axle or three-axle truck or tractor, not drawing a trailer, that is primarily used to transport primary products of a farm, forest, sea or lake produced or harvested by the driver or the driver’s employer. (includes farm plated trucks) (primary products include livestock, horses and poultry),
a self-propelled implement of husbandry, farm tractor or any towed farm equipment, and
farm equipment towed by a truck.

And this regarding a personal pickup
------------------------
personal use pickup truck
means a pickup truck;
that has a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 kg (13,227 lb) or less, and
is fitted with either,
the original box that was installed by the manufacturer, which has not been modified, or
a replacement box that duplicates the one that was installed by the manufacturer, which has not been modified.
and
is being used for personal purposes without compensation, and
is not carrying, or towing a trailer that is carrying commercial cargo or tools or equipment of a type normally used for commercial purposes.
Note:
the personal use pickup exemption applies regardless of the pickup's registered gross weight or any actual weights of the pickup or trailer.
a pickup that is normally used for business purposes, including a farm plated pickup, qualifies as a personal use pickup if it complies with and is being used in accordance with the personal use pickup rules above.
a trailer that is normally used for business purposes qualifies as a personal use trailer if it complies with and is being used in accordance with the rules above and is towed with a personal use pickup.
some 450 and 550 series cab and chassis trucks are converted to large pickups or are fitted with fifth wheels for towing house or other types of trailers. This type of truck does not qualify as personal use pickup because the vehicle manufacturer did not install the box and the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating will likely be over 6,000 kg. If the registered gross weight or actual weight of this type of truck is over 4,500 kg, the truck and any towed trailer, including a personal use trailer, are subject to daily inspection. However, this type of truck is exempt when towing a personal-use house trailer.
The following considerations may assist in determining whether a pick-up is being used for personal use:
pick-ups towing house trailers, camper trailers, boat trailers, all terrain vehicle and snowmobile trailers, etc. used for recreational purposes are examples of personal use trailers.
stockcar and racecar trailers, when operated for recreational purposes, are normally considered personal, even though a purse may be involved in the racing.
The following is offered as guidance when towing horses;
personal use would include moving a horse to or from;
fairs, exhibitions, horse shows, ploughing matches, pulling competitions.
boarding facilities, where the horse is not included in a for-profit business.
business use would include moving a horse to or from;
a racetrack sanctioned by the Ontario Racing Commission, for the purposes of racing, training or breeding.
a horse used for riding by a facility where the public pays a fee to ride the horse.
a horse transported by a person in the business of breeding or boarding horses for profit.

I think he may have a case here.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:25 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa
What puts all pickups (even the hybrid 1/2 truck/1/2car Hondas and Chevy Avalanche) in California in the commercial category- is the bed. If you install a camper, you can file a form and get non-commercial (but you can't later remove the camper).
What about a tonneau?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:28 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Good info, right there. I was a little scared for a while, as I too tow from time to time, but nothing commercial. I have a "Not for hire" decal I stick on the windows when I tow though, just to prevent the police from pulling me over and giving me hassles.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:37 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
$1100.00 in Larimer County, Colorado...$1138.00 to be exact. We have the most expensive plates I've ever seen. 09, F250 PSD, SCrew
The initial purchase in Tennessee is half od sales tax (9.25%), which brings the purchase cost up a fe thousand dollars. Past that, the tags are only $24 a year, regardless of axles (in my county). In surrounding counties, there is a $60 per axle wheel tax which means $120 for duallys. Not bad considering. Thing that gets me is that when you buy a new truck you pay sales tax. When you buy a used truck you pay sales tax to re-register it. Some states even charge a reoccuring percentage of the truck's price every year you renew (they don't actually call it tax... hummm, perhaps they know what they are doing is unconstitutional). So here is my gripe? It lays out in the Constitution that double taxation is illegal. This was in order to protect citizens from unfair taxation from their individual states. Then why do they allow this practice to go on with vehicles and homes?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:38 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by orng1
We don't have that problem here, I can't believe you got away with $300 I pay around $550 and mine is a regular cab truck.

I let off a good smoke screen and chirpped them good on a cop a few weeks ago. Woops... My trans has been acting up but he just looked over at me and didn't mind or understood I guess.
You all have a lot more money to burn than me, apparently. Every time I want to smoke 'em up, I just look at the $300 a piece tires times four sitting on the rear of the truck and decide not to. If I want to peel out, I just go home and get one of my Mustangs where I can peel out at half the cost and still do a little evasion if need be.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:43 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
The initial purchase in Tennessee is half od sales tax (9.25%), which brings the purchase cost up a fe thousand dollars. Past that, the tags are only $24 a year, regardless of axles (in my county). In surrounding counties, there is a $60 per axle wheel tax which means $120 for duallys. Not bad considering. Thing that gets me is that when you buy a new truck you pay sales tax. When you buy a used truck you pay sales tax to re-register it. Some states even charge a reoccuring percentage of the truck's price every year you renew (they don't actually call it tax... hummm, perhaps they know what they are doing is unconstitutional). So here is my gripe? It lays out in the Constitution that double taxation is illegal. This was in order to protect citizens from unfair taxation from their individual states. Then why do they allow this practice to go on with vehicles and homes?
Allow me to clarify...That was $1138.00 for the TAGS. The sales tax was an ADDITIONAL $1400.00. Out the door with a sore @ss for a little over $2500.00.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
What about a tonneau?
It is all in how you declare the truck and how you use it.
To avoid commercial WEIGHT FEE you have to register it as an RV.
But don't cry when they will catch you hauling manure
I do have commercial license plates but just got fix it ticket similar to citations OP poster quoted even I am in California. My truck is privately owned and operated, but the cop makes me to apply for MCP. That require higher insurance and proof of it on special form. My insurance carrier raised the limit, but they have never heard about MCP65 form. I am working with DMV in Sacramento and my underwrites on it for 3 weeks and got nowhere yet.
BTW my registration stickers need to be moved from rear to front license plate now. The truck is 12 years old.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:57 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
Allow me to clarify...That was $1138.00 for the TAGS. The sales tax was an ADDITIONAL $1400.00. Out the door with a sore @ss for a little over $2500.00.

HOLY FRIKKIN' CRAP!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:59 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
It is all in how you declare the truck and how you use.
To avoid commercial WEIGHT FEE you have to register it as an RV.
But don't cry when they will catch you hauling manure
I do have commercial license plates but just got fix it ticket similar to citations OP poster quoted. Even my truck is privately owned and operate, the cop makes me to apply for MCP. That require higher insurance and proof of it on special form. My insurance carrier raised the limit, but they have never heard about MCP65 form. I am working with DMV in Sacramento and my underwrites on it for 3 weeks and got nowhere yet.
BTW my registration stickers need to be moved from rear to front license plate now. The truck is 12 years old.

That is some crap, mate. Glad I live in Tennessee, they don't really crack down on that sort of stuff here.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Don't worry. It is coming

Old 05-26-2010, 12:08 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Don't worry. It is coming

Dear Kajtek,
I do not like you anymore! I will be over here in my corner in the fetal position now...

I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 12:26 PM
5.4f250sd
Senior User
This is exactly why I bought a 250 and stayed away from the 350's. I don't need to get stop up here in mn all the time!!!! If you have a 350 you get different plates that have a 10000 and over gvw on them. That is good reason to have the cops stop to check you often.