Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Old 11-07-2014, 02:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2012, 01:08 PM
New User

BigBrett23601 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ok so here goes I have a 98 f150 nascar edition. THe ac is blowing ONLY thru the Defrost. I checked under the hood and the vacum lins all appear to be ok. the line that runs thru the fire wall however I did take it loose from the t connection and I have vacum there. but when I take the Control unit out of the dash I have no Vacum . I also can not find the black line to save my life behind the glove box below the glove box . So can some one help me out and walk thru this please.
Thanks a Ton!!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
remove the oval panel on the top of the dash on the right hand side. Near the firewall above the plenum you will find a plastic splice that the black vacuum hose goes to from the control head and the line in from the firewall. It may be unplugged there.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 07-16-2012, 07:06 PM
New User

TexasSawmillGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine is doing it again. This is maddening.

I've replaced all the lines except the one that runs from the vacuum reservior down behind the firewall and into the pass side foot area. None of the lines are disconnected.

This prpoblem is intermittent and I suspect the reservior "intermittently bad" - I hear a ball rolling around inside when I remove it, so is it possible this ball which is the ncheck valve is not seating properly sometimes but sometimes it is?

I can plug the line at the pump and the pump will shut off immediately so I assume this means the pump is strong.

???
Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It is very possibly the tank or the check valve. There is usually an external check valve in the engine compartment. If you have EATC the control head could also be leaking.

My Missing Michelle
Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerWinzlow View Post
It is very possibly the tank or the check valve. There is usually an external check valve in the engine compartment. If you have EATC the control head could also be leaking.
I'm not sure what EATC is, if it's part of the 4WD system this is a 2WD.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Postmaster

EATC means electronic automatic temperature control. It would have a digital display rather than 3 control *****.

My Missing Michelle
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 PM
New User

Okay, I don't have that.

After letting the truck idle with the a/c on for 15 minutes in order to let the cab get a little cool before I drove it to town to get some things, when I climbed in the air was coming out the a/c vents again. That's how intermittent this problem is. I think it must be the reservior, because if it was a leak in a line it wouldn't be intermittent, it would be permanent. Is this what you would think also?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSawmillGuy View Post
Okay, I don't have that.

After letting the truck idle with the a/c on for 15 minutes in order to let the cab get a little cool before I drove it to town to get some things, when I climbed in the air was coming out the a/c vents again. That's how intermittent this problem is. I think it must be the reservior, because if it was a leak in a line it wouldn't be intermittent, it would be permanent. Is this what you would think also?
Yes, unless it was a crack with a very small leak. Ive seen on some vehicles that have a water valve with the line pulled off give intermittent operation or a weak check valve. I would just go buy a used reservoir, shouldnt cost much and you can verify it. I have a vacuum tester that I use but that would cost more than another reservoir and you would use it about once every 20 years at home. Another alternative of course is take it to a technician to isolate the problem. Sometimes a diagnostic fee saves a lot of hit and miss fixes that could end up costing a lot more than a professional to look at it.

My Missing Michelle
Old 07-22-2012, 05:39 PM
New User

Jasonwillis84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minitrk View Post
Just did this on my 2000 Expedition last night, I think it took all of 15 minutes to change the 4 o-rings, what a difference in sealing ability. I put it back together and it now works GREAT. Mine was a little different though, as my solenoids and plenum are spot welded on a metal frame, and not screwed to a plastic one.
Mine is also spot welded, how did you take yours apart?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:46 PM
New User

strtglid is starting off with a positive reputation.
o-rings

Great write-up. Got my orings from grainger, pack of 100, if anybody needs some hit me up.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:08 AM
Freshman User

ryno_rx8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well I'm back to square 1, 02 f150 blowing out defrost only. Thought about the o-ring idea but as my mom has a navigator with the same controls, I swapped controls and still have the same issue (her AC blows where its told lol). Looking at the vacuum lines, does anyone know which color goes where? And which solenoid on the firewall controls what?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:07 AM
New User

SoCal HD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Signed up to say thanks

Thank you so much Marauder2004 , less than an hour & I'm grinnin' ear to ear!! Max A/C was blowing in the Def only, but all the other positions worked normally. But your directions, and 45 minutes, everything works perfectly.

I bought a $10 maxcraft o ring kit from Napa for the 4 o rings. But now I'll have o rings for the rest of my life...lol.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 PM
New User

03trouble is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up Thanks Marauder2004!!

Thank you so much Marauder2004 , you Rock!!!!! Click the image to open in full size.

In no time at all, turned a $1,000.00 pain in the butt problem into an awesomely cheap and effective fix. Have 96 more #007 o-rings as well, anybody needs some.. let me know...

I owe you a case of Beer... Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM
New User

ljburrescia is starting off with a positive reputation.
A/C to defrost problem

I have a 2004 ford explorer and the a/c blows though the defrost only and I have read there might be a vacum problem but can't find the vacum hoses.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a very good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a very good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a very good reputation on FTE.
yes, you have a vacuum problem. Read all of the posts. You can have a bad hose under the hood at the fire wall, at the vacuum accumulator, rotted hoses, the hose thru the dash, or a leak on the controller at the dash. Need to start narrowing it down. Pull a hose, check vacuum, suck on the hose and see if it leaks, etc.
2001 SuperCrew 4 x 4 5.4 XLT -235K miles -GONE
Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 PM