1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Drive line Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 09:02 PM
true blue
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive line Vibration

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-Oct-02 AT 10:04 PM (EST)]My Expedition has 100k of trouble free miles. I have developed a vibration at highway speeds though. It feels just like the driveshaft U Joints. I replaced them. No difference. I can feel nothing loose in the drive shaft. It happens when cruising above 65 and gets worse when you decelerate. It can be in O/D or out and still does it. It is not the tires. I have new shocks from ford. I am thinking of buying an entire driveshaft assy. from Ford for 350 bucks. Any Ideas? By the way it is a 97 5.4 4X4 with 3.73's and 17" tires

Old 10-15-2002, 10:43 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Drive line Vibration

I've seen this problem crop up before on the forums. Do a search for the word "shudder" in the "Expedition" forum. That should point you in the right direction. The usual culprits are either the tranny, xfer case, or both needing a thorough flushing. One guy said that the dealership replaced EVERYTHING but couldn't eliminate the shudder. Turned out that the internal shaft in the transfer case was warped. Evidently it solved his problem.

Hope you get this problem figured out.

XXL

Old 10-16-2002, 09:07 AM
adelyser
Elder User
Drive line Vibration

I have 98k on my '97 Expedition, and it just started the same exact problem. I just flushed and filled the tranny, no fix. I also have a squeak that only seems to exist when driving slow. Also, my vibration gets worse when you let off the brakes, and usually appears around 65 or 70, but will vibrate down to 50 when coasting. The squeak is coming from the center of the double-cardan joint at the front of the rear driveshaft. 3 reputable shops in the area indicate it is probably a center bearing for that joint, so a complete rebuild is in order. I take the driveshaft to the shop tomorrow, and I will post my results when I get it back.

True Blue, do you have the same double-cardan joint in the rear driveshaft? If so, did you replace those joints yourself, or let a shop do it. You may also need the new centering kit if it hasn't already been done.

Old 10-16-2002, 10:07 AM
true blue
Elder User

Drive line Vibration

adelyser,

Yes I have it. I replaced the joints myself. I did not do the center bearing. It had been a while since I replaced joints in a C/v joint assembly so I forgot about the center bearing. I did repack it though. It appeared fine. This is where the vibration seems to come from though. If I jack the truck up and run it in the air (I know safety hazard) it is worse and looks like it may wobble at this location. The transfer case looks straight. The bearings feel tight. There is some play in the splines as the shaft is inserted. I am hoping a new shaft will tighten this up. I will keep this updated as I replace the shaft. I pray it is not in the transfer case!

Old 10-16-2002, 01:01 PM
adelyser
Elder User
Drive line Vibration

If you are referring to the slip-yoke at the t-case end of the driveshaft, there is supposed to be a slight amount of play when inserted into the t-case. Every 4X4 with a slip yoke has had that play, and hasn't caused any problems. The warped shaft referred to earlier is inside the t-case. I am willing to bet its the center bearing.

Take your driveshaft out and to a shop and have them do a rebuild. You cannot buy just a center bearing for that joint. Spicer only sells a centering kit, which contains the new half-yoke also. That part alone is between $40 and $60, and you will definitely need a balance done after replacing it. I have been checking into all the parts for this, and it's just as cheap and easy to let a shop do it all. They also paint it whatever color I like, although I am just going with standard black. I was quoted $160 for the complete rebuild, using Spicer Life joints (their upgraded joints). I found that they charge more for just a balance, but less if you let them also rebuild it, so it comes close in the end.

Old 10-16-2002, 01:34 PM
true blue
Elder User

Drive line Vibration

Thanks for the advise. I will check into a rebuild. That sounds cheaper than a new shaft from Ford.

Old 10-17-2002, 08:13 PM
97exp72airstream
New User
Drive line Vibration

I have the same exp that you have. Ford has quite a few TSB's concerning drive line vibrations on this vehicle. I bought my exp with 80,000 miles on it. My drive shaft fwd end was welded on the shaft crooked by spicer $65.00 later and a balanced drive shaft the exps ride was alot smoother. However a decleration from 65-70 mph produced an intermitant vibration. The fix I found on mine so far is flushing my transfer case 3 times. I found out it has clutches in it and the first time the fluid was almost black. 2000 miles later it was milky red. 3000 miles after that it still showed some milkyness after the 3rd time though the vibration was gone. Hope this helps.

Old 10-17-2002, 09:22 PM
true blue
Elder User

Drive line Vibration

I will have to do that. To be honest I have never changed it. I have checked it and the color looked OK. I will flush anyway. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2002, 10:27 PM
Mattias
Senior User
Drive line Vibration

May I ask you all where you are "feeling" the vibration?

My one month old '03 has a slight vibration (sounds like a small piece is loose) and only occurs after 60 mph. The sound seems like it is coming from the top dash, under the middle portion of it.

Curious as to where your sounds or shuttering is coming from? I'm not too keen about Ford techs tearing up the car or going on long +60 mph test drives.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2002, 07:25 AM
true blue
Elder User

Drive line Vibration

I feel it down in the drive train. It occurs at speeds above 60-65. It is more noticible on decel. You can tell it is down below and to the rear though. There is nothing in the dash ect for me.

Old 10-19-2002, 11:35 PM
1999XLT
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive line Vibration

I had the same vibration. I had new tires put on and it is GONE. Thank god. It was making me nuts.

Old 10-21-2002, 01:53 PM
adelyser
Elder User
Drive line Vibration

Well, I got the driveshaft rebuilt on Friday, and my Expy now rides smooth as can be. It was the center bearing in the front Double-Cardan joint assembly.

I was feeling the vibration through the floor and back end of the vehicle. It would start around 65 or 70, and get worse as you go faster. When I would decelerate, it got real bad, and wouldn't stop until around 45. When I removed the driveshaft, you could move the entire joint from side to side in one direction, and it was smooth.

When I would move it side to side the other direction, there were 2 friction points, like it was going over a bump. When I got the driveshaft back, it was smooth in all directions. Glad that's finally fixed.

The tranny and t-case fluid resolution still baffles me. I don't quite understand how old fluid would cause vibration problem, unless there are some large chunks of debris in the fluid.

Old 10-21-2002, 09:19 PM
true blue
Elder User

Drive line Vibration

Aaron,

I am glad to hear this. I am certain this is my problem. I towed a trailer all weekend and it did not do it one time. Today after disconnecting it was awful. I filled up the tank and it got better. I have come to the conclusion that the weighted down vehicle changes the drive shaft angle. When there is weight on the back the angle is reduced. Makes sense. I am checking into a rebuild tomorrow.

Old 10-22-2002, 07:41 AM
rick995
Junior User
Drive line Vibration

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-Oct-02 AT 09:22 AM (EST)]Got truck('99 expy 4x4) back from Dealership last night VIbration is better than it was at highway speeds......there's a NEW TSB to replace the rear Lower control arms with arms that are 2 inches longer to give a lower pinion angle......can't remember the number but they should be able to look it up..........feels much more acceptable.......but have a slight bang when going over a dip that causes the suspension to go to extremes so have to have it looked at again to make sure there's no interference somewhere.........i wish they could get it all right at the same time i spend too much time in Enterprise Rent-a-loaners at least the last one was a TownCar

Old 10-22-2002, 09:00 AM
true blue
Elder User

Drive line Vibration

>Got truck('99 expy 4x4) back from Dealership last night
>VIbration is better than it was at highway
>speeds......there's a NEW TSB to replace the rear Lower
>control arms with arms that are 2 inches longer to give a
>lower pinion angle......can't remember the number but they
>should be able to look it up..........feels much more
>acceptable.......but have a slight bang when going over a