1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving on beach sand...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:18 AM
silly34
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Driving on beach sand...

Didn't want to hijack a thread so started my own that could be abused..

Going on vacation in August and plan to go drive on some very soft, possibly churned up sand to get to a good fishing spot. Not really sure about technique driving on stuff like this other than keep it in 4wd.. assuming 4LO? Tires are not really made for this kind of driving (big tread) but are not highway tires..kinda of an all-terrain type of tire. Any suggestions would be great.. I plan on having a shovel..my dad has a winch on his truck so it shouldn't be too bad.

B.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
air down is the biggest thing that will help besides having it in 4x4 so you don't dig.

So you need to provision for airing the tires up and down. How much air should you run, that I am not sure but I would guess somewhere around 20 psi.

Some others who have run in the sand quite a bit will chime in soon with some better advice.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:50 AM
MikeMcCasland
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the sand is loose and soft like you say it is, do yourself a favor and it hit as fast as possible in 4wd hi. Don't stop until you get to hard pack. These big trucks suck in the sand, yes you can do it, people do all the time, but in the loose stuff, it's going to get stuck if you stop.

Bring a shovel, a tow strap, and stick close to your dads truck. Don't try to gas your way out of anything if you start spinning all your wheels. Stop, get out, and dig. Do not sink that thing up to the axles.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:53 AM
silly34
Senior User
Excellent pointers thanks!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:59 AM
silly34
Senior User
Guess I need to find a small air compressor to air the tires back up when done..any suggestions..need something inexpensive at the moment since I don't do this regularly...

Old 07-29-2009, 07:08 AM
silly34
Senior User
was thinking about those cheap things at sears/walmart but not sure they can air the tires back up properly (55psi or so?)

Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 AM
reagan4ever
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving on beach

I have been driving on the beach for 25 years in Cape Hatteras. The key is to drop the tire pressure to 20psi. Never try to speed your way through. If you feel like the truck keeps bogging down, drop the pressure to 18psi. I have never been stuck by following this rule. Many locals in Hatteras leave their tires ar 20psi year round. When I am there for a week at a time, I leave it at 20psi and drive slow around town. Stop into the local fishing store and get a little toy that screws on to the valve that automatically reduces the air to 20psi. They work great and save the back! Have fun.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:41 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you will also need a small peice of plywood (3ft x 3ft) in case you need to use the jack. If you don't have plywood and you are dug in deep, you will have a tough time.

Also, a good tow chain or tow straps would help. There probably won't be many vehicles that could pull you out but it's worth having.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Like the man said, air down to about 20 psi, keep it in 4hi and keep your forward motion but don't spin your tires - if you do you'll just dig in.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 AM
silly34
Senior User
So any pointers on a good air compressor (small so I can keep in my toolbox) that will air up the tires quickly? Don't really want to take my 20gallon compressor.

B.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 AM
reagan4ever
New User
most beaches with off road areas have a local tackle shop with a high speed air compressor. Many are sponsored by the "Beach Buggy Association".

Old 07-29-2009, 10:09 AM
silly34
Senior User
Not this beach...

Old 07-29-2009, 10:14 AM
silly34
Senior User
Holy crap..just pulled up a google map and they got an airport now!! WTF!! St. George Island, FL

Old 07-29-2009, 10:16 AM
rugerman
Senior User
Another thing that might help is a piece of chain link fence about 12 ft long and 2 or 3 ft wide and a stake to hold it in place. When you get stuck start it under the tire so that the lugs just start to grip the fence then pull the fence out and stake it in the sand this will let you climb out of the sand and up on top so you can go on your way.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
T8R
Laughing Gas
The little cheapie ones work great for car tires - and while they're capable of making enough pressure... our tires have so much volume that they tend to burn out before the tire gets filled from such a low pressure. (Had this happen a couple days ago actually - melted the plastic gears and slagged the little motor)

If you're not going to run a hard line with a plug specifically for running a compressor - I'd suggest one that clips directly to the battery terminals. Most of the bigger auto parts stores have them, as well as being able to find them on line.

Other suggestions: spent the extra money to put a quick connect fitting on the end of the hose.

This way you can run a regular tire fill / gauge combo like you'd see at a gas station for topping tires off and still switch out for other fittings. Another favorite is to have is the little "old school" screw on tire filler. The quick release fitting will make it easy to spin on, and it'll save you having to sit stooped over your tire while it fills up. (12v compressors take time...) If it's a better one - you can even set the regulator to the pressure you want and just let it run for a bit while you do something else. (A lot of guys are fond of taking this time to drink a beer or start a conversation beginning with "My truck is better than..." or "My air compressor is better than....") Again - you can get by without it, but it's a nice convenience thing.
Airing a tire back up is more fun when you can sit back and finish your beer while admiring your own handy work.

Originally Posted by silly34
So any pointers on a good air compressor (small so I can keep in my toolbox) that will air up the tires quickly? Don't really want to take my 20gallon compressor.

B.

Quick Reply: Driving on beach sand...