Oil & Lubrication  

I think I made a petron plus rep cry...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:52 PM
bruce381
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chlorinated parrafins or olephins or fatty acids will all form a anti scuff layer on crank
metal and bearing and they will work well even the hotter it gets they will lube very well, infcat the Big EMD electro motive diseal locomotives used to use in the engine oil a few percent of chlor parrifin as a replacement for ZDDP.

The problems are that at higher than a few percent as in using the "snake' oils the chlor will decompose to hydro chloric acid at >250F or so. This will cause rust and bearing corroision when all the TBN has been used up maybe sooner. This is OK for a race car or a car that may have "normal" 3,000 mile oil changes but is trouble for any longer dian or stop and go with not much highway to burn off moisture,.
bruce

Old 07-20-2007, 08:02 AM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by side oiler
people like you, cant be helped you know everything about everything. but know no squat about petron plus.my 88 van has almost 400,000 miles. other then a couple of water pumps "i did put a timing chain in it on 2nd one" and change fluids in engine,trans. and rear when called for,brakes tires,batterys,starter,and alternator thats it.i use petron products in everything.would jump in and go cross country right now. dont knock something till you try it.bet you didnt eat any vegetables when you where a kid either.. ha,ha, just kidding.i wont blow my horn again about this believe what you want. "side oiler"

Dude, you should have read this before repling to a very old thread that pertains to your magic elixure.

NO MLM Dealers, Wholesale Buyers Or Retailers allowed

Especially snake oil!

Old 07-22-2007, 01:31 PM
duffman77
Elder User
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
as far as the no oil engine run I have personally been involved in organized events at "bug-o-rama's" where you guess how long the VW motor will run without oil the winner gets a set of .041 heads or a set of dellorto carbs. or whatever the sponsor is selling, I never won as I allways guessed way too low at 66 minutes (my lucky number) I never saw 1 go less than 90 mins. I saw 1 go 3 1/2 hours!! & they wire open the throttle (allways a single port so not much air or rpm)
Here is a good example of what an old loose engine can do. Although they are giving it water which is probably helping it along, but they are definately beating the sh** out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyAwFw0eXwE

Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM
speedfun
New User
Petron Plus works

I have been using Petron for over 18 years in my race cars and Daley drivers,
I have no idea to this day whats in it but I all I can say is it works..
I like many of you were a non believer in snake oils, Petron gave me some samples in 1995--
story 1
I had just got a Audi 500 turbo, the next day I left Green bay and drove to So Cal Lancaster, when I got there I figured this thing needed a oil change so Mobil 1 and I remembered the petron sample in the trunk- so what the hell I pored it in and was driving back -- the fuel mileage on the way there was average 26 mpg on the way home it went to 32mpg!! the first day I was back it was 10 degrees below but this car spun over like it was had a block heater in it-- the turbo spooled up so fast and you could here it---I was starting to believe
so that year I was racing at Crandon Wi in a pro buggy with a VW rabbit 16-1 compression ratio you know the kind a ticking time bomb-- the oil pump was **** the oil light was coming on going down the strait away and staying on around the corners-- well about 3 laps from the finish the V belt came off and cooked the motor--
On Wednesday I pulled the motor and first the head came off I had holes on the top of 3 pistons and one combustion chamber - I'm thinking this thing is junk-- so rolled the motor over and started taking off the rods-- now remember the stock oil pump was junk-- OK I removed the first rod cap- and I couldn't believe what I was seeing! the bearing looked like it had never been run! pulled of another same thing A friend happen to walk in from B&B racing engines he watched me pull off the next rod cap I handed it to him and told him to read this bearing and tell me what you think? He said It hadn't been run but a few minutes or broken in yet! I rolled the motor back over and showed him the holes in the pistons and the head and the junk oil pump-- nether of us could believe what we were seeing --
I have been using this stuff ever sense so does The Doctor Warren Johnson and most of the top fuel cars running today because it works! it does not have Chlorine or ptfe's or graphite or in fact none of us know what makes this stuff work but if you go to southwest testing labs (I think that's there name) that does testing for the government on all the oils on the market and all the snake oils this stuff test's #1
when slick 50 and Prolong got the boot for PTFE's and prolongs chlorine based junk they tested Petron right along side them and it passed with flying colors.
I don't get paid to write this I did this because this stuff works and is the best product on the market today.
the owner Gary Clark has a 1988 6.2 diesel (pos) suburban with 1 million miles on it and noting in the motor has ever been changed but some seals and I think he said the Injection pump 1 time.. transmission and every wheel bearing is from the factory never been replaced because the day it wa new the changed every oil grease lubricant with a PETRON product. I rode in this thing back in 1995 when it had over 300 thousand miles...
you want your truck to get better gas mileage and last you should buy some you will see what myself and many many pros use----Petron

Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by speedfun
I have been using Petron for over 18 years in my race cars and Daley drivers,
I have no idea to this day whats in it but I all I can say is it works..
I like many of you were a non believer in snake oils, Petron gave me some samples in 1995--
story 1
I had just got a Audi 500 turbo, the next day I left Green bay and drove to So Cal Lancaster, when I got there I figured this thing needed a oil change so Mobil 1 and I remembered the petron sample in the trunk- so what the hell I pored it in and was driving back -- the fuel mileage on the way there was average 26 mpg on the way home it went to 32mpg!! the first day I was back it was 10 degrees below but this car spun over like it was had a block heater in it-- the turbo spooled up so fast and you could here it---I was starting to believe
so that year I was racing at Crandon Wi in a pro buggy with a VW rabbit 16-1 compression ratio you know the kind a ticking time bomb-- the oil pump was **** the oil light was coming on going down the strait away and staying on around the corners-- well about 3 laps from the finish the V belt came off and cooked the motor--
On Wednesday I pulled the motor and first the head came off I had holes on the top of 3 pistons and one combustion chamber - I'm thinking this thing is junk-- so rolled the motor over and started taking off the rods-- now remember the stock oil pump was junk-- OK I removed the first rod cap- and I couldn't believe what I was seeing! the bearing looked like it had never been run! pulled of another same thing A friend happen to walk in from B&B racing engines he watched me pull off the next rod cap I handed it to him and told him to read this bearing and tell me what you think? He said It hadn't been run but a few minutes or broken in yet! I rolled the motor back over and showed him the holes in the pistons and the head and the junk oil pump-- nether of us could believe what we were seeing --
I have been using this stuff ever sense so does The Doctor Warren Johnson and most of the top fuel cars running today because it works! it does not have Chlorine or ptfe's or graphite or in fact none of us know what makes this stuff work but if you go to southwest testing labs (I think that's there name) that does testing for the government on all the oils on the market and all the snake oils this stuff test's #1
when slick 50 and Prolong got the boot for PTFE's and prolongs chlorine based junk they tested Petron right along side them and it passed with flying colors.
I don't get paid to write this I did this because this stuff works and is the best product on the market today.
the owner Gary Clark has a 1988 6.2 diesel (pos) suburban with 1 million miles on it and noting in the motor has ever been changed but some seals and I think he said the Injection pump 1 time.. transmission and every wheel bearing is from the factory never been replaced because the day it wa new the changed every oil grease lubricant with a PETRON product. I rode in this thing back in 1995 when it had over 300 thousand miles...
you want your truck to get better gas mileage and last you should buy some you will see what myself and many many pros use----Petron
It appears that you joined FTE specifically to hype this product in a thread that hasn't been touched in over five and a half years. You obviously did a search and came up with this ONE thread.

The above is your VERY FIRST, Number One post at FTE, and "just happens" to be about the suspect product.

Can you give us some references about yourself? Other posts in other forums that would lend some credibility to your automobile and lubrication knowledge? What are your screen names there?

Or, did you come here with a specific purpose?

Why am I reminded of AMS?

Are you a spammer?

Are you a troll?

Are you really who you say you are?

Do you know me?

Have you ever seen me before?

How do you know you see me now?

Pop

Old 10-29-2013, 05:01 PM
s-a-v-e.us
New User
Petron plus

I know this is an old post. It is clear that most here know a lot about fords. However, I teach a class on tribology. I also know the Petron plus line well. I see it called snake oil. Let me give you a little info on the their oils and grease's. they have 1450 finished oils,grease,cutting oils,hydraulic fluids,auto transmission fluids. They sell to mostly large corporations. They own 6 US patents, not on a formulation of oils, but on the restructuring of the molecules of petroleum itself. According to the largest independent testing facility in the world located in San Antoine TX, they out perform all other oils. Their grease has a (Calcium Sulfate)ASTM four ball weld of 800kg( the ASTM machine can go no higher than 800). Mobil's comparable grease (sch 100) tops out at 315kg, Amsoil hits 620kg. Every oil is best in class, from their 0w20 synthetic to their 70w non street legal top fuel oil is best in class. sound like a sales pitch, nope its not. I don't care if you buy it or not. Saying its number 1 is not false, it just being honest..ASTM numbers don't lie....well let the hateful responses began...
I have been on this site for years and stumbled on very credible posters that have not done their homework,I had to reply

Old 10-29-2013, 09:53 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by s-a-v-e.us
I have been on this site for years and stumbled on very credible posters that have not done their homework,I had to reply
OK, I'll bite.....

You may have been on this site for years, but you joined in October, 2013. Hmmm, it IS October, 2013, still, this very day.

I looked up ALL your previous posts, all two of them, and BOTH are posts are recommending Petron products.

What are we supposed to think?

Give us some places you routinely post. How about a screen name at BITOG, where we can read your other thoughts on tribology?

Where do you teach a class?

Pop

Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 AM
s-a-v-e.us
New User
good point

I have browsed this site, I also visit bob is the oil guy's site for a long time. Most of the time looking for a post about a specific problem I am having (my 7.3 has been a pain in my *** since I bought it and have had many problems with the electronics) It seems that most people are set in their ways and my opinion is just that, another opinion. However I do have a company that focuses on helping companies use less petroleum products. And Petron is one of many Products that I have became very close too,as I promote the green initiative. Petron Plus is owned by the Patent holder named Gary Clark, of KS. I do not work for them. PPG will out perform extreme pressure agent like chlorine, but it is 100% oil. when I see people running there mouth over something they clearly no nothing about,it just kind of get under my skin when people are taking the highest tested(astm) oil of all time and blasting it as a snake oil. I do think we have it backwards, we insist that the guy working on our car is SAE certified, and yet the most important job involving your vehicle is oil and grease and yet we allow a 18 year old straight out of high school to change our oil and grease our bearings. I go in to cities and business and teach their fleet guys and gals about anti-wear vs E.P. why oil oxidizes and the 3 reasons why they are changing the oil in the first place. sounds simple. I have taught this class in front of at least 200 mechanics. and have never had one guy answer all three of the reasons correct

Last edited by s-a-v-e.us; 10-30-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: bad grammer
Old 11-02-2017, 06:28 AM
Michael Sellon
New User
I had to answer this thread, you wanted to know what was in it so here's the patent information.

. A friction reducing composition consisting essentially of;
(a) between 75 and 98 volume percent of a chlorinated hydrocarbon selected from the group consisting of chlorinated paraffins, chlorinated polyvinyl chlorides and chlorinated polyethylenes;
(b) between 2 and 25 volume percent of a rust-inhibiting compound selected from the group consisting of compounds which inhibit the corrosion of chlorinated paraffins substituted phenol or polyphenol, and long-chain saturated or unsaturated di- or tri-carboxylic acids; and
(c) up to 0.02 volume percent of an antimicrobial compound.
2. The friction reducing composition described in claim 1, wherein said chlorinated hydrocarbon comprises approximately 90 to 98 volume percent of said friction reducing composition.
3. The friction reducing composition described in claim 2, wherein said rust-inhibiting compound comprises approximately 2 to 10 volume percent of said friction reducing composition.
4. The friction reducing composition described in claim 1, wherein said antimicrobial compound is selected from the group consisting of trichlorophenol, triazine compounds; phenyl compounds; alkyl amine oxides and chlorides morphorline compounds; thiazolin; pyrimidine compounds; oxine; chlorobutrol; bacitracin; chlorocresol; actinomycin; benzalkoniun chloride; and carbenicillin.
5. A friction reducing composition comprising:
(a) approximately 95 volume percent of a chlorinated hydrocarbon selected from the group consisting of chlorinated paraffins, chlorinated polyvinyl chlorides, and chlorinated polyethylenes; and
(b) approximately 5 volume percent of a rust-inhibiting compound selected from the group consisting of compounds which inhibit the corrosion of chlorinated paraffins phenols and polyphenols.
6. The friction reducing composition described in claim 5, further comprising approximately 0.01 volume percent of an antimicrobial.
7. The friction reducing composition described in claim 6, wherein said antimicrobial compound is selected from the group consisting of trichlorophenol and triazines.
8. The friction reducing composition described in claim 7, wherein said chlorinated hydrocarbon is a chlorinated paraffin having a chlorine content of between 35 and 75 volume percent.
9. The friction reducing composition as described in claim 8, wherein said chlorinated paraffin has a chlorine content of between 40 and 70 percent.
10. A lubricant comprising:
(a) one part by volume of the friction reducing composition of claim 1; and
(b) 5 to 35 parts by volume of a liquid lubricant.
11. A lubricant comprising:
(a) 1 part by volume of the friction reducing composition of claim 5; and
12. A lubricant comprising:
(a) 1 part by volume of the friction reducing composition of claim 9; and

Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It would have been more fitting if you resurrected this old, dead, zombie thread a couple of days ago....

Old 11-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Michael Sellon
New User
I wanted to finally put it to rest. Bruce was 100% correct it's chlorinated paraffins, but they modify it so it doesn't break down to hydrochloric acid. Everyone on here arguing without any facts. Google has all the patent information available. When I was going to buy this product I used this thread to help determine if I was going to buy, unfortunately there was only hearsay. So I wanted to lay down some facts so that other people wanting to know find it, because this comes up in the first page on Google when you search petron plus.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:29 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Michael,

Can we get the Cliff's Notes on Post #24?

What does it all mean?

Pop

Old 12-10-2017, 08:08 AM
peelseel2
New User
Originally Posted by Michael Sellon
I wanted to finally put it to rest. Bruce was 100% correct it's chlorinated paraffins, but they modify it so it doesn't break down to hydrochloric acid. Everyone on here arguing without any facts. Google has all the patent information available. When I was going to buy this product I used this thread to help determine if I was going to buy, unfortunately there was only hearsay. So I wanted to lay down some facts so that other people wanting to know find it, because this comes up in the first page on Google when you search petron plus.
So did you buy it?

A long time ago ~1992 or 93 I lived next to a guy in Dallas who got the distributorship for Texas for Petron Plus. He hired me and we went down to the local swap meet on weekends (the swap meet attracted a large number of people every weekend) to sell this product. He had an engine that had the oil pan off. That thing would run all day long. Every once and a while he would add some Petron to it. I was impressed, so I used it in my vehicle at the time. I recall it seemed to help the gas mileage. Anyway, I went a different way after that summer and was not too interested in selling oil additives. I have often thought of that over the years. I have googled it every once and a great while and never came up with anything really. Thought it was a dead product. I googled it this morning while reminiscing and this thread pop'ed up. I even found their website. I can order from Amazon even.

I am a computer guy. Really know **** about cars. I like it that way. I was thinking about it for my Jeep. It has 200,000 miles on it now.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:30 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Maybe consider thinking about it this way, after all this time, all the claims made, all the vehicle manufactures needing an edge, why is it that this product & others like it, Don't carry any certifications & not one vehicle manufacturer adds this product at the factory, nor specifies it for regular, or scheduled maintenance use?

Old 12-10-2017, 05:40 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Some VERY good questions, there, for which there are never appropriate answers!

Pop