Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Elder User

shanes66charger is starting off with a positive reputation.
dana 44 ball joint installation questions.

Hey guys, I may have just made a mistake! I am putting my front end back together, and am putting the knuckles back on after putting in new ball joints.

The top joint has a threaded and tapered insert that threads into the axle housing. WELL, I wasn't thinking and just threaded it in so it was flush with the surface. I preceded to tighten the ball joints, but I think I sucked the top joint through too far and may have ruined it.

After thinking for a moment, My question is this. What is the procedure for tightening the ball joint? Is there a specific torque rating?

I am thinking that you tighten the bottom one first, Then, thread the insert down until it snugs against the top joint. THEN tighten the top?

Any info, is appreciated. thanks!

I am sure someone knows exactly the correct way???
Old 07-29-2009, 06:16 AM
Postmaster

teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.
When I did mine, I tightened the bottom one first. It seemed the easiest, but I don't specifically know if that is the correct procedure.

Old truck: 74 F250 Converted 4WD sold
Some other 4 wheeled vehicles also reside in the driveway
Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Posting Guru

4x4 Bart is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When I replaced my ball joints a couple of years ago, they came with instructions and torque specs. I have since lost them. Jeffs Bronco Graveyard list the upper at 110 to 140 and the lower 100 but does not list the torque for the sleeve. This sounds slightly high to me, you might call where you bought your ball joints to double check.
You tighten the lower first, then tighten the upper sleeve, Next tighten the upper and finally re-torque the lower.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Freshman User

Darin Pierson is starting off with a positive reputation.
I work on front ends. tighten the lowe till tight. then run the upper insert down till the balljoint stud cant spin and then tighten the nut up. about 100 lbs if you want to be that persice
Old 06-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Junior User

YooperUno is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Darin u say to tighten the bottom up to the specs of 100 #s and then run that bushings down so that the upper stud don't turn, and then torque the upper ball joint down now how freely does the socket turn from side to side loose or snug.
Thanks YooperUno
manual tranny
Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Senior User

KIKKUP is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.KIKKUP is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just did mine the other night so still fresh in my mind.

I had to lightly pull in the top in order to keep the lower from spinning. My manual on the lower says 70 ft lbs. Next torque the sleeve to 40 ft lbs. (obviously removing the top castle nut. Then install top nut and torque to 100 ft lbs. If you need to turn the nut to line up the holes, tighten never loosen. The specs also say to measure tension with a spring gauge at point of steering bar. Effort should be 25 Ft lbs to move back and forth. If it takes a lot more effort then you might have "memory" steer problems.

Note that spec listed are from my manual and specific to a 78 F-250 with Dana 44. Other years have slightly different specs and different kinds of adjustment sleeves.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Junior User

Thanks KIKKUP for the info but what or how do u torque the sleeve I don't quite understand what u r saying how can u torque that with the upper joint in the way, I'm missing something somewhere along the way.
Thanks YooperUno
manual tranny
Old 06-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Senior User

KIKKUP is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.KIKKUP is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperUno View Post
Thanks KIKKUP for the info but what or how do u torque the sleeve I don't quite understand what u r saying how can u torque that with the upper joint in the way, I'm missing something somewhere along the way.
Thanks YooperUno
The threaded sleeve should be torqued to 40 ft lbs after you tighten and torque the bottom ball joint. Note that if you installed the top nut, you must remove it and then insert a special socket onto the threaded sleeve, that way you can put a socket on it and torque it. After that, you install the top castle nut and torque to 100 ft lbs.

There is plenty of room to put a socket on the bottom nut and connect your torque wrench. You must do this before inserting the drive axle.

See my post with pic here:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/93...today-220.html

It's post number 5496.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Posting Guru

redroad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.redroad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
@KIKKUP to link to a specific post go to the post and left click on "(permalink)"
and then right click on address bar choose copy in the drop down box and then right click in the body of your new post where you want the link and then click on paste and your done ..
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/93...l#post14424184

Great job on the axle BTW
Old 06-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIKKUP View Post
The threaded sleeve should be torqued to 40 ft lbs after you tighten and torque the bottom ball joint. Note that if you installed the top nut, you must remove it and then insert a special socket onto the threaded sleeve, that way you can put a socket on it and torque it. After that, you install the top castle nut and torque to 100 ft lbs.

There is plenty of room to put a socket on the bottom nut and connect your torque wrench. You must do this before inserting the drive axle.

See my post with pic here:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/93...today-220.html

It's post number 5496.
ok thanks KIKKUP gotta go find one of them special tools I need for that sleeve have a good weekend
manual tranny
Old 06-14-2014, 01:20 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
44, 79, axle, ball, d44, dana, dana44, ford, front, install, installation, joint, joints, replacement, torque