1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

My Truck is officially No Longer an Oil Tanker....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Erich.Vongeist
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Truck is officially No Longer an Oil Tanker....

Well as of yesterday, my F600 is no longer a fuel/oil tanker. I disconnected all the controls that relate to the pumping system, removed the hose and reel, and the dispensing system. Basically the rear compartment that holds the pumping equipment is empty and totally cleaned out. I have had the three top hatches open for a couple of days to dry the compartments out good because I am going to start cutting the partitions out this week. At least now I have a good bit of storage/stowage. As I open up the rest of the tank, I will have a nice classic looking box truck.
Thanks,
Erich

Old 07-26-2009, 01:16 PM
grm61
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Erich, before you get to far along.....did you ever consider selling the tank/pump to a construction company or a sand and gravel outfit for fueling loaders and such, and using the money to put a bed on your truck? That thing oughta be worth a few bucks......

Here is my shameless plug for a flatbed dump, I've hauled cars, my Jeep, tractors, brush, trash, dirt, gravel, firewood.....Handiest thing I have ever owned.

I would think that tank and pump oughta be worth a couple grand to someone that wanted to set up an on site fuel truck.

Just a thought,

Greg

Old 07-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Erich.Vongeist
Senior User
Hi Greg,
Yeah, I had been trying to sell the tank setup since I bought the truck with no luck. I had wanted to put a bed like your truck has but couldn't get rid of the tanker part, and I don't want to sell the whole truck.
I think that the truck looks very "classic" with the tank body, but since I am no fueler I don't need the tank, so clearing it out is the cheapest and easiest alternative. Maybe I will be the only person in the US with an oil tanker converted to box truck?
Who knows,
Thanks again,
Erich

Old 07-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Erich, how thick are the wall's of the tank?
the reason i ask is it might not be wize to remove all of the inner walls they provide necessarry structural support for the tank wall. depending on how it is you may need to leave a rib for support, just somthing to think about.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Erich.Vongeist
Senior User
Hi Bill,
If you look inside the tanks there are vertical and horizontal supports. Until you mentioned it, I hadn't thought about that . Should I cut out the partitions about 4-6 inches from the outside wall? I wonder if that would be enough.
Thanks,
Erich

Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Erich.Vongeist
Senior User
Hi Everyone,
I think I am gonna nix the idea of cutting the partitions out of the tank. It is going to be a lot of very dangerous work. I am going to have a guy I know weld a heavy duty bracket on the back of the I beams for a pintle and bal hitch combo. With the rear compartment cleared out I can fit a lot of equipment/tools/etc in there and anything larger I'll just use a trailer. If I come across a dump box/bed, etc around here I will probably make the swap.
After a lot of really good advice I really think its the best idea. Or I might just trade it for an H-series....who knows. It's really up to Big Lou!
Thanks,
Erich and Big Lou