Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2009, 08:04 PM
New User

arich is starting off with a positive reputation.
1975 ford f 250 wont start starter cable heats up

tried to start my truck after i just drove it wouldnt start lights r on dash ill turn the key it will click around solenoid and make slight noise ( but wont turn over) in the starter.and i will hook jumper cables to another vehicle for a boost but still nothing ,i tried over riding solenoid but nothing even though its 2 days old,but after trying for about 5 minutes my starter cable which is new will heat up my pos cable to solenoid gets hot,and my neg terminal to ground gets hot as well any body know what i can try?

i did post earlier but maybe didnt put forth enough details thanks
Old 07-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Elder User

ShamelessMT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bad starter. Take it out, take it to any auto parts store and have it tested to verify. If you're jumping across the solenoid (assuming you have power in your battery and not a dead battery) and nothing's happening, your starter is shot.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:02 PM
New User

arich is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks nice truck thats how i want mine to look mine looks identical but 1975 see ya for now
Old 07-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Elder User

ShamelessMT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thank you for the compliment. My truck isn't a beauty queen but she always gets me where I'm going and sure catches a lot of looks, even though she's sporting her faded original paint.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Posting Guru

wyoming4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
starter???

IF your new starter still has issues. Need to look at your grounds. Make sure your ground on battery to engine block is good. One quick way to test is your jumper cables battery ground to engine block and see if it starts better. I off road my truck and bounce around and these old trucks loose ground or at least cause resistance. I have extra grounds on my truck because of the dual electric winches. Ground from battery to block and block to frame. Also new ground to cab. Also ground from bed to frame. If you notice you taillights a little dim it might be because of a weak ground. Something to check into. When I off roaded down in texas near salt water it was hard on truck and noticed things a yr later having issues because of salt water. Something to consider.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:33 AM
Posting Guru

Holiver31 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Holiver31 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check all of your grounds. Get the starter tested. Starters that are drawing alot of current are on their road to death.
It's an internet forum, get used to it. It's like having a drunk conversation with every single person in the bar minus the "I love you man". "I've seen far more abnormal and unexplainable things at Wal-Mart than I have out in the deep woods." "My drinking crew has a racing problem, or vice versa..."
Old 07-25-2009, 03:35 AM
New User

raggity is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have the same problem and will make sure to clean out the groud wires.
wyoming4x4 what truck do you go off roading in?
Old 07-26-2009, 01:01 AM
Posting Guru

wyoming4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
1977 4wd with mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggity View Post
i have the same problem and will make sure to clean out the groud wires.
wyoming4x4 what truck do you go off roading in?
My rig is a 1977 ford 4wd f-150 with 60frt/70rear air lockers automatic 205 and 472 big block. link suspension air bagged. winch frt/rear ramsey's 40" hawgs and 38" boggers depends on what I"m doing. I've had this truck since highschool and its been many things from stock to mudracer to now mountain rig. Its fun to drive and a lot of good memories over the yrs. I've had other trucks but this is my first truck. Its currently getting a new upgraded tranny because I broke my torque converter just recently. Crap happens when you use it.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:29 AM
Senior User

65f100_352 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
try giving the starter a few good whacks (but not too much) with a hammer, it might be sticking, if that's the case then you need a new starter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe View Post
If you take a 352 and add it to a 351M, then subtract a 302+1, you get a 400. The 'M' gets lost in the conversion. It's just that simple.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:43 AM
New User

Errorinspelling is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fried Starter too.

My F-250 Just had the same problem today. Brushes were worn WAY down and the act of really trying to force it to turn melted away a couple of contacts on the armature of the starter. Doing things like banging on the starter and holding the starter on during REALLY slow cranking very likely lead to this. I'll post a couple picts of the starter tomorrow when I get the truck back home.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM
New User

Gothiccowboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
(: Hello, My 1979 F100 is doing the same thing. I just replaced the bad 302 with a 360/390 from a 1975 F250 2X4. I ran the truck 100 miles and then the next day I tried to start the truck, (has a push button starter with key switch) and the starter solenoid started buzzing. I have ran all the wires down nothing is grounding, (except, the small brown wire on the switch has both pos. and neg. when I tested. I replaced the solenoid switch a few days ago, and the battery is only about 4 months old. The starter might be bad, but would it just go out like that?
I sure hope someone can help.
Thanks, Gothiccowboy
Old 08-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Post Fiend

mikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to behold
What you're describing (buzzing solenoid) is the classic symptom of (1) bad/dead battery (2) bad battery cable connections, or (3) bad battery ground connection, it is grounded to the engine block isn't it?
You need to be sure the battery is charged up, then make sure ALL cable connections are clean AND tight. Make sure also, that the cables themselves are good and aren't corroded internally.
If it was the starter, when you pushed the button you would hear a single clunk untill you released the button, not a buzzing sound.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:27 PM
New User

levi300strt6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
my truck wont start

so i have a 78 f250 custom with a 300 inlie 6, and it wont start, i just got a new battery and everything, made sure all the cable are hooked up, the starter cylinoid is good, im gettin spark from the plugs and everything looks good, but it wont fire off. it turns over and over and over, but start fire off, can anyone help?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Post when I get chance

bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi300strt6 View Post
so i have a 78 f250 custom with a 300 inlie 6, and it wont start, i just got a new battery and everything, made sure all the cable are hooked up, the starter cylinoid is good, im gettin spark from the plugs and everything looks good, but it wont fire off. it turns over and over and over, but start fire off, can anyone help?
Are you getting fuel?

77 F250 4x4 Highboy 521 stroker
75 F250 2wd Supercab 460
Old 11-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by arich View Post
tried to start my truck after i just drove it wouldnt start lights r on dash ill turn the key it will click around solenoid and make slight noise ( but wont turn over) in the starter.and i will hook jumper cables to another vehicle for a boost but still nothing ,i tried over riding solenoid but nothing even though its 2 days old,but after trying for about 5 minutes my starter cable which is new will heat up my pos cable to solenoid gets hot,and my neg terminal to ground gets hot as well any body know what i can try?

i did post earlier but maybe didnt put forth enough details thanks
x========x========x==========x=========x=====x
Are those new cables heavy enough? All cables are not equal.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:02 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1975, 1976, 1977, code, f150, f250, ford, fseries, heating, orange, paint, start, starter, truck, wont