Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Fuel Tank Selector Valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:01 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As noted, the switch from AZ is not a bolt on deal, it is a universal switch. The hose hookups will not work with the factory lines, the hose ends have to come off to use it. The nipples are designed for hose, not the plastic fittings with the o-rings inside. The pigtail has to be ordered, although since the unit is universal, it is my opinion that it should be included, but... When talking to the guys at the counter, many do notrealize this is a universal switch, so buyer beware. I caught one of our guys trying to sell it like it was a factory replacement on an 88 gas truck, which uses that wonderful pressure switch mechanism. It can be made to work, but is not factory type replacement.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 AM
maxdiesel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fellro86 can you get the AZ part number for the pigtail? Is it a GM weather pack connector?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:44 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
I would have to go look at the 83 I have sitting around to be sure, but it is very similar to a GM unit. I'll try to remember to look that up when I go in to work tomorrow. I have seen valves and pigtails on ebay pretty regularly. As stated before, it is special order, so unfortunately, I won't have one to hold in my hand...I can't come up with one online through the AZ site, but I know I can get it to come up on the system at work.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
i just buy pasted my mine

Old 08-21-2009, 12:49 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
That works fine if you only want to use one tank. For those of us that get some distance it is nice to have more fuel capacity.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:05 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
i plane to get it fix when i get my wiring straited up

Old 08-21-2009, 01:23 PM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
I replaced my FTSV a few months ago with one I bought from FTE/PARTS-GUY. Yes I might have paid a little more for it but I didn't have to wonder about buying the plug and figureing out the wiring. Just unhook the old FTSV and replace it with the new FTSV. Same plug and everything. Haven't had any problems since I changed it out. I'm running SVO but not from either front or rear tank. I"m using a seperate tank and keeping the two systems totally seperate so if there is a problem, I don't get stranded.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:48 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Of all the retarded things AZ can do, they don't appear to offer the wiring harness to hook up these valve... guess I won't be any too likely to ever sell any. I couldn't find any info on such pigtails. Didn't even come up on the related parts search at work...

Old 08-22-2009, 10:22 PM
maxdiesel
New User
Thanks for looking. Like I said I think it's a gm weather pack connector which you can pick up on e bay. But it would have been nice if AZ had the pig tail to go with the valve they sell.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Swatter
Senior User
If by AZ you mean Auto Zone then the part number is (FV5C = $17.00) as I posted on page one of this post. The part is (213 Duralast Fuel Socket Assembly) but the AZ lookup number is FV5C. I know because the pigtail is right behind me sittting on the table 2 feet from me.

Anyway, you could just spend $98 and get the whole deal (pigtail included) from advanced Auto, or jcwhitney has it $82.99

Old 08-23-2009, 04:27 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I try that on the online system, and it doesn't come up. I didn't have that number with me when I was at work, so I couldn't look it up by number, but it was not coming up on Z-Net either. I will have to try again Tuesday when I go in with the number, but it really shouldn't be that much trouble to find the darn thing. It is also possible the vendor has quit making it available to Autozone for whatever the reason...

Old 08-23-2009, 04:31 PM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
When I posted earlier that I might have paid a little more than the parts houses, I also paid less than the "listed" FORD price. Not that much more than the parts places that have been listed.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Success!!! I found the part number today in the Wells parts book (Wells makes our electrical parts) The actual usable part number is simply 213, fuel socket assembly. Lists for $17.99 I had pretty much given up, but had to find a connector that the web site claimed we had in the related parts, but was not there for a crank sensor upgrade on the Dodge Neons, and I found it in the Wells book. I got to thinking maybe I could find this in there as well, and there it was!

( Now that I look back, it was right in frontof me... thanks for making it too obvious... )

Old 11-11-2009, 09:57 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dyoungen
I replaced my FTSV a few months ago with one I bought from FTE/PARTS-GUY. Yes I might have paid a little more for it but I didn't have to wonder about buying the plug and figureing out the wiring. Just unhook the old FTSV and replace it with the new FTSV. Same plug and everything. Haven't had any problems since I changed it out. I'm running SVO but not from either front or rear tank. I"m using a seperate tank and keeping the two systems totally seperate so if there is a problem, I don't get stranded.
ok,so this autozone FSV doesn't sound like its worth the hassle.its $60 for the valve and abut another $20 for the pigtail for $80 total approx.then you need to follow wire diagram/and or test,solder,crimp,and then heat shrink.fine.but not for $80.

im not finding anything via a search for FTE/PARTS-GUY.
it seems now he might be going by partsguyed or something?
is this the correct site?
www.partsguyed.com
if so,i sure dont see a 93 6 port FSV.
help lol.
i like just plugging it in and it works if the price is right.how much was it? can you post the link?
how fast was shipping?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 AM
maxdiesel
New User
What is the price of the valve from www.partsguyed.com with shipping? I couldn't get into the catalog or find it using the search. On the plus side of the conversion, once it's converted if the valve goes again it would be much less expensive to fix.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Selector Valve