1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Wheel Upgrade w/ pics 56K WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 AM
missin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Wheel Upgrade w/ pics 56K WARNING

Stories from a cheap b@stard!fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O></O>
<O></O>
<O></O>
So I decided it was about time to spiff up the truck. My 05 XL model is in serious need of some eye appeal. I have to do stuff on the cheap being a college student and all, so here’s a walk through of a simple, clean looking upgrade that you can do all on your own. I surfed Craigslist for about 2 months before I found a deal on a set of 4 35” BFG All Terrains in good shape mounted on some Eagle Alloys. I want to now point out the final price of this upgrade for me was $292.00 cash, American! This includes the wheels, tires, chrome lug nuts, prep and supplies, paint, and even the beer!
<O></O>
Wheels & tires:…………………… $160.00
Lug nuts (34):……………………… $42.00
Prep and paint supplies: …………….$60.00
Beer: (optional HAHA)……………..$30.00
<O></O>

<O></O>

<O
></O>
Step One: Clean<O></O>
<O></O>
Make sure to be thorough in all of this and realize that prep work is the most important step if you want a quality product. I began by power washing the wheels as they had some crud on them when I picked them up. Using a fine sand paper I sanded the surface to allow for better adhesion by the paint. I sprayed with simple green and used blue shop towels to ensure no little paper turds. I then used paint thinner to remove any oil or other contaminants. From here on out, do not touch the rim until the final coat is completely 100% dry. And start shaking that can of Dupli-Color wheel paint.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 AM
missin
Freshman User

fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O></O>
Step Two: Tape

<O></O>
Again, take your time and be patient.
<O></O>
Start off big! Cover the majority of the tire with large pieces of paper or plastic (I used pallet wrap I had laying around) and then work your way in to the lip of the rim with 1 or 1.5 inch masking tape.
<O></O>

<O></O>
<O></O>
Step Three: Tack coat

<O></O>
This is simply a light misted coat that provides a good base for the rest of the paint. It should look slightly splotchy.
<O></O>

></O>
Step Four: Layer it on!

<O></O>
After your tack coat sets up, it is simply a matter of layering on the rest of the paint as evenly as possible. I allowed 30 minutes between each coat and had a heat fan going the whole time. I used 1 entire can of Dupli-Color black semi gloss per wheel and half a can of the wheel clear coat.
<O></O>

></O>
AND HERE IT IS BEFORE AND AFTER!
<O

Old 07-22-2009, 09:31 AM
missin
Freshman User

fficeffice" /><O></O>

<O></O>
<O></O>

Step Five: Go the extra step!

<O></O>
This is all the extra touches that most will find unnecessary, but my long term plans for this truck include the little touches I am doing now. Besides, why the heck not? I taped off the holes from the front side and sprayed blue Krylon from the back to accent the holes. Then I spent too much time taping off the lettering and spraying it with some leftover blue oil base that I had laying around! Ha Ha I know, ridiculous.
<O></O>

<O></O>

<O></O>
Heres the final pictures: Enjoy!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:32 AM
missin
Freshman User

fficeffice" /><O></O>

<O></O>

<O></O>
The tutorial on the leveling kit I built to fit these is soon to come!
<O></O>
Thanks for reading. Feedback is welcome.
<O></O>
-Jacob
“gone missin, back later”
<O></O>

Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 AM
PERFORMANCE RED
Laughing Gas
Wow great job painting the wheels. I even like the blue holes. The blue lettering was a bit of an over kill and you did miss the KO part of the letter.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
nice work,it sure beats spending $1000 or more for new wheels

Old 07-22-2009, 11:32 AM
lucaslaw
Senior User
Are you running a lift? I want that size tire on my 2001 F-250 4x4 SD, I can tolerate a little rub, it takes a block to uturn that crew cab long be monster anyway., and good job. When I did the ones on my mustang the only difference was I used a rattle can epoxy paint and made a cardboard box into a spay booth. When I did the "Snowflake" wheels on my Bandit trans am I did the same thing, taping those off is a B^t^h.

LL

Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just a tip you can use oil based oil paint on the lettering and use a small very fine roller and with out taping anything off just roll it on. Have to be way careful and make sure you roll roller out on some cardboard before each application.

If your in school shouldn't you be studying and not spending all your time painting truck tires?

Nice job the blue makes them POP just a little what do you have planned for the truck?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice!
Amazing what a little creativity and elbow grease can accomplish.

Flashing back to my college days on 0 expendable income....
Oh, wait, I'm still a cheap bugger!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:34 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Great job on a budget! For less than $300 it almost looks like a new truck. Great job! You are far more patient than I am waiting for a deal to come along...

Old 07-22-2009, 07:14 PM
missin
Freshman User
Thanks for the replies guys! Glad to know i don't look too ridiculous. Ha Ha

I am running a 2.5" leveling kit that i made ( step by step tutorial to come soon) to fit these 35 x 12.5 tires, I have only rubbed twice (both on the drivers side) since i installed everything a month ago, once when i had it at full lock and got bound up on some logs at the ranch and once this past weekend at the Mudd Fest in Poth while pulling a Chevy out I have been extremely happy with the ride and reaction of this upgrade and have gained a little bit of confidence i can put towards some more major changes down the road.

My long term plans for this truck include (but are not limited to) a drive train overhaul including a 5.9 Cummins swap, manual transmission install, bumpers, headache rack, roof rack, and tire mount on the rear bumper, neoprene seat upholstery, 08 center console, and whatever else i decide i want to do

I am basically aiming at having a COMPLETELY different truck by this time next year, but it all comes down to when i catch a deal and when i have the time to do it... (full time job and school make that hard)

-Jacob
"gone missin, back later"

Old 07-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Desert 4x4
Senior User
Missin,
What kind of fender flares are on your truck?
Thanks Desert 4x4

Old 07-22-2009, 08:02 PM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I also like those fender flares.
Let us kow what kind ther are.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Great deal on the wheels! I like the blue lettering that looks cool but the blue holes look tacky. jmho.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 PM
jrab01
Senior User
pretty damn cool!

much more patience than I would have had. Rims look great. I didn't know if I liked the blue at first, but after seeing them on they work pretty good.

Quick Reply: Cheap Wheel Upgrade w/ pics 56K WARNING