Front door glass replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Front door glass replacement

Door glass replacement:
Here ya go to those that want to replace the glass themselves. Maybe mods can put into tech folder.

First step, removal of sail, light cover/reflector and door controls. The door controls are removed by prying up on the front. The sail has spring clips so it just pulls straight out. The reflector/light has a tab at the front of it.

This will reveal two 7 mm bolts that help hold the door skin in place. One under the light, one under the door controls. The door controls you will want to unplug and remove to be able to take the door skin off.

Next you can pull up on the door skin to remove it. Don't forget to unplug the light socket from behind the door skin.

Next you will want to remove the top rubber molding. It will give you more room to get the glass into the door.

Next will be the removal of the door speaker. Four 7/32 bolts and one plug.

Then you will remove the factory dust seal. It will peel off gently. It is stuck on with a very thin tape and if you remove with care and attention and do not stick your fingers into it you will be able to put it back on. You can also plug in the door controls, because you will need to adjust the height of the regulator to get to the mounting screws of the bottom channel that holds the door glass to the regulator.

Now we will see the bolts (in red) that you will need to remove/ loosen to be able to move the glass channel (green arrow). Once the glass is in the door you can move the channel to place the glass into. You will want to clean this channel all the way up and around the top of the door before you place the glass in. A blunt hook tool seems to work the best.

Here we see the back bolt that holds the door glass onto the regulator. 10 mm bolt that will need to be loosened off.

Here is the access for the front bolt. Also 10 mm. You may need to move the regulator up or down to get it to line up to the access hole. Once the front and back bolt are loosened/ removed the regulator channel will slide forward and and thus removing the door glass brackets. The new glass should have these already on the glass. (You will want to vacuum the inside of the door well to pick up the broken glass before you start to put in the new glass.) If not you will need to clean out the glass with a small chisel. If they are not on the new glass it is best to mount the glass into the door, loosely bolt these brackets back onto the regulator and then line things up before siliconing them back on. If you have to glue them on, you will want to raise the window to help keep them on tight and in place.

Once you have the glass in place and loosely bolted on, carefully run the window up and down to make sure they are in alignment. If all lines up then tighten the bolts and also the channel bolts that we loosened in above pictures(red circled bolt with green arrow showing channel)

Last picture showing roughly the spot that the door glass will be in to get to the the front mounting bolt of the glass to regulator.

Once the door glass is in place and runs up and down well, it is time to go backwards and mount everything back into its place. If the glass seems tight in the channel, you can spray a silicone spray int the channel to help it move more freely.

If there are any more questions please ask, because I do this often on vehicles and it is hard to document step by step when you do it so often as you tend to overlook things. Plus I did not actually have to put in the door glass so I do not have pictures of that process. The glass gets put in from the top, from the outside usually front down and in first at a slight angle. It should slip into the opening on the top and one person can hold it in place while the other lines up the mounting hardware and glass channels in the door. I did also pull apart the back door and it is virtually the same as the front door. Both drivers and passengers doors will be the same.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 07-21-2009, 05:07 PM
quietman
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
WOW!

Thank you very much, this was exactly what I was hoping for!

john

Old 07-21-2009, 07:50 PM
71-4R3SONS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent write up... rep points sent your way.

I'm going to have to replace my front glass someday... there was a TSB issued regarding the exterior door window "rubber swiper". My X was never fixed... therefore scratches.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice post wallz! Tried to rep...gotta spread it around...

Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Reps sent your way.

Now that were on the issue of front windows...the 2008 and up Super Duties from my understanding have thicker glass. Any idea if this glass would fit in the Excursions?

Old 07-21-2009, 11:30 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
Reps sent your way.

Now that were on the issue of front windows...the 2008 and up Super Duties from my understanding have thicker glass. Any idea if this glass would fit in the Excursions?
Thanks guys.

For the 08 door glass, I don't know for sure. That said I can't see it being any thicker. About 90% of every car out there use the same thickness. As for the size, I can't say if they will fit. I have not yet replaced anything glass wise on an 08 superduty. I am in a small town and don't have all that high tech access to say if it will fit, and I know the local dealer will have no clue. They even told me that the 08 mirrors won't fit, much less the power ones when I went to the lot to look into it.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 07-21-2009, 11:56 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wallz
Thanks guys.

For the 08 door glass, I don't know for sure. That said I can't see it being any thicker. About 90% of every car out there use the same thickness. As for the size, I can't say if they will fit. I have not yet replaced anything glass wise on an 08 superduty. I am in a small town and don't have all that high tech access to say if it will fit, and I know the local dealer will have no clue. They even told me that the 08 mirrors won't fit, much less the power ones when I went to the lot to look into it.

<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

I believe Ford did that to reduce noise levels in the cabin and that's why I would want to put them on the Excursion. They're shaped the same so I don't see why they wouldn't fit.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:15 AM
wallz
Postmaster
I will see if I can get a hold of our supplier and see if they know. That will be in a few days as I'm off till thursday.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 AM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
I will see if I can get a hold of our supplier and see if they know. That will be in a few days as I'm off till thursday.
That would be great, thanks.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:54 AM
J5 Bombardier
New User
Door Glass replace 2006 F250

I thought I would bring back this thread started by Wallz a few years ago. His pics and explanation were very helpful in changing the front window glass in my 2006 superduty. Thanks again Wallz !
J5 Bombardier

Old 08-21-2011, 02:46 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Thanks for reserrecting. I had the glass guys do this for me a few yrs ago after a smash 'n grab. It took the 3 Asia-made windows before they found one that fit well.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by J5 Bombardier
I thought I would bring back this thread started by Wallz a few years ago. His pics and explanation were very helpful in changing the front window glass in my 2006 superduty. Thanks again Wallz !
J5 Bombardier
No problem. I do this for a living, so it was actually hard to get a step by step put together without missing anything. A lot of times you take things for granted, without really thinking about them.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:12 PM
LMarble
New User
Hello, thanks for the write up.
I just replaced my 02 passenger glass. I used the 08 and newer glass. It was a PPG the Carlite was 3 days away. We placed it in from the outside of the door. I probably could have pushed a little harder from the inside.

The thicker newer glass fits well with no problems. Kind of tightens up those old window gaskets. I did silicon lube the track to help it slide. My 02 glass thickness per Starrett was .150 or 3.81mm the new 08 is .2 or 5.08mm. ish. It was night with a dial caliper.

Again thanks for the write up.
LM

Old 12-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Door glass replacement:
Here ya go to those that want to replace the glass themselves. Maybe mods can put into tech folder.
Created in '09, yet this is the first time I've seen the thread (contrary to popular belief, I don't read every single thread posted in the Ex forum ). And since it was posted in '09, this begs the question: Why didn't you lemme know about this great pictorial how-to thread back when I asked peeps to let know know about threads to be included in the tech folder, when I reformatted it?

Well done!

Stewart

Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess some write-ups rate and some don't.

Quick Reply: Front door glass replacement