Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Oil & Lubrication
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oil & Lubrication NO MLM Dealers, Wholesale Buyers Or Retailers allowed (except sponsors)
SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2002, 09:01 AM
Senior User

76_F150_390 is starting off with a positive reputation.
"Stop Leak" products

My 390 has got a slow leak at the back of the engine(intake, maybe rear main...) I don't really have time to change the seal right now. So I was thinking about TRYING one of those "stop leak" fluids in my oil.I know that it might not work, but I'll only be out a couple of dollars.

My questions are...Will this hurt my engine at all? and What do you guys think of Bar's stop leak products??
Old 12-20-2002, 09:16 AM
Senior User

Border3899 is starting off with a positive reputation.
"Stop Leak" products

See my post below yours entitles Bars leak, some people recommend it some dont because it can cause further problems with clogging things up.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:17 AM
Senior User

"Stop Leak" products

Sorry not Bars questions, it's entitles Oil Question.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:13 AM
Senior User

blownbronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
"Stop Leak" products

DON'T USE IT! Or any other oil additive for that matter. I once put STP engine oil treatment in my Mercury Sable, it caused the head gaskets to blow. I'm talking 5 minutes! Good thing I just bought that car as a fixer upper!
Old 12-27-2002, 05:45 AM
Postmaster

jschira is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
"Stop Leak" products

25 years or so ago, I put some of that "stops oil burning" stuff in my '67 Charger (young, no money for engine work). I got to tell you, it really worked pretty good. Was using 1 quart every 500 miles or so. Went a whole oil change (3000 miles) without adding oil or cleaning the plugs.

That was an old car with lots of miles on it, looser tolerances, etc.

My dear old dad warned me that I would be out of the will if he ever caught me using any stop leak product. "Plugs everything up", he always claimed. My guess is that he was speaking from experience, but he never told me the whole story.

I say if your only alternative is an engine tear down and rebuild, then it might be worth a shot to try. If the leaks are that bad, a rebuild is going to be necessary eventually. Stop leak will only buy you some time (if it works at all).

Old 12-27-2002, 08:46 AM
Senior User

"Stop Leak" products

If you do use it make sure you do a very thourough (sp?) flush of the system before you put everything back together so you dont have further problems with the radiator.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:00 AM
Post Fiend

Ratsmoker is starting off with a positive reputation.
"Stop Leak" products

First before you put anything in your engine seal off the rear of the intake. This is hillbilly but it works. Take some carb cleaner and completely clean aal the gunk off of the rear seal area. Then take some silicone blue and glob it into and on to the crach where the rear intake seal goes. Be very genereous. Let the truck set for a day and it will stop the intake leak.. Many people mistake this kind of leak for a rear main seal leak. If you have a rear main leak use the gold eagle brand "engine sealer". It will swell the seals up instead of dumping garbage into your engine. I see no way how any engine sealer can cause head gaskets to blow.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:44 PM
Senior User

"Stop Leak" products

What I used wasn't an engine sealer. It was an oil treatment (supposed to quiet engine make oil last longer). When I tore down the engine the stuff I used was gummed up on the oil pan. It was stuck on the cylinder walls. It looked like peanut butter. This caused my engine to overheat which is what blew the head gasket!!!
Old 12-28-2002, 02:10 AM
Postmaster

BigMattXXL is starting off with a positive reputation.
"Stop Leak" products

Why don't you throw some 10-30 Valvoline MaxLife in there? It might help. Probably can't hurt, either.

Good luck!

XXL
Old 12-28-2002, 03:36 PM
Senior User

"Stop Leak" products

Man, I junked that car a while ago!!!
Old 12-28-2002, 09:26 PM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
Post "Stop Leak" products

Old 12-28-2002, 09:26 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Oil & Lubrication

Tags
390, bars, ci, engine, ford, leak, leaks, oil, product, products, rear, seal, stop, stp, work