Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1989 F-250 460ci

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Avenged11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1989 F-250 460ci

Ok guys my dad just bought a 2004 Dodge with a cummins diesel and gave me his 1989 F-250 With a 460ci in it. It is a XLT Lariat. The Motor burns lots of Oil and gas so i am going to over-haul the motor. So what i need help is I am a Teenager who wants a good sounding truck if you catch my drift. So what i was thinking about doing is when i rebuild it Bore it 10 Over, put a bigger camshaft, it has blue top injectors (i think they are 24lbs) take those out and put next size bigger or Venom Injectors, and put Dual Turbos on this truck with Dual Cherry Bomb Extremes on it. Some Friends of mine told me to put a bigger intake on it but i think a 460 has a big enuff intake on it. I have thought this through and almost everything will cancel out... like the Turbos i was told it could help it and hurt the MPG depends on how you drive.

(note: i am a Teenager but i dont have a "heavy" foot)

please reply
Thanks

Old 07-21-2009, 12:27 AM
BucksTrucks
Senior User
I dont think I have ever seen a 460 with dual turbo chargers attached to it. The 89 460 is also a speed denisity fuel injection system, so you cant just change fuel injector sizes. You also have to be careful with cam shaft selection so your EFI system does not freak out with the lack of engine vaccum at idle. The cost of dual tubos has to be at least $3000, on top of around 1200 for a engine rebuild with a new cam shaft. You are looking at a lot of money for an old truck. If I was in your shoes, i would do a stock rebuild, with an EFI safe cam, maybe aftermarket cylinder heads if you can afford them, and end it all up with some long tube headers in to a single 3'' exhaust.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Neptoess
Senior User
twin turbos on a big block? that's blasphemy. If anything, I'd run a centrifugal supercharger. Yeah the roots blowers look cooler but ya kno gas isn't getting any cheaper, and i doubt you need full boost for taking off from red lights with a 460, those things can break all 4 tires loose stock and burn the tires off the rims. i'd just go with the rebuild and maybe headers delete the cat X pipe and glasspacks. If you wanna do much more you'd prolly need to do the MAF conversion or go to a carburetor, keep in mind though this is an 89 F250, you can hotrod the engine all you want, but it's still gonna handle and stop like a truck.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:45 AM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Just as Buckstrucks said you are limited on your options for upgrades with this motor unless you want to spend some serious money.Like upgrading to mass 2.computer. Keep it simple, only camshafts that are computer compatiable will work.Otherwise your performance and mileage will go to pot like 2 miles per gallon. and it will be a dog...I speak from experince on this one and hate to see you lose your inthusiasm for rebuilding motors. As this motor stands well on its own factory specs.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:57 AM
No_BS
Senior User
The only way to do all those mods efficiently is to switch back to a carb, which is a step backwards in my book.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
You're a teenager and you have the coin to afford all this work? You know how to do all tune it all to make it work right? IMO you're getting in way over your head for a first project. Start small. Rebuild the motor and maybe throw a few upgrades in but skip the dual turbo chargers.

BTW you don't get to decide how much to overbore a block. That's the machine shop's job. That right there says that you have no experience doing this kind of work.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Avenged11
New User
Originally Posted by andym
You're a teenager and you have the coin to afford all this work? You know how to do all tune it all to make it work right? IMO you're getting in way over your head for a first project. Start small. Rebuild the motor and maybe throw a few upgrades in but skip the dual turbo chargers.

BTW you don't get to decide how much to overbore a block. That's the machine shop's job. That right there says that you have no experience doing this kind of work.

I have a lot of friends that have car shops that said they would help me out. The only reason i said bore it 10over is because my dad told me about how my uncle had a bigblock 400 and that is what they did and it made it really come alive far as pulling and speed. and no i dont have exp. in this kinda stuff if i did i wouldnt ask strangers on there opinion. Im in an AutoTech class at my school this year so im hoping that i can learn alot about motors... so i guess ill just rebuild it stock but im going to keep the cherry bombs the same unless there is something wrong with that?

(this truck has a problem though when you start it the motor will idel at 300-500rpms we have but a air control modual on it... and the injectors are almost new that are in it... but when plugged up to a computer it still says left bank runnung lean. I have a Good friend that works at a Ford dealership that has worked on several of these and said he has never had this problem... )

Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Boring a block .10 over won't give you any power increase at all. A 400 that came alive had other stuff done to it besides having the block cleaned up.

It's cool that you want to get into this stuff, I definitely don't want to discourage you. But it's important that your first projects be small ones, or you will get overwhelmed and frustrated and give up on it. Honestly, rebuilding a motor is a big job. I've done lots of other repairs and have never rebuilt a motor.

It might be better for you to work on getting the truck running good first and then rebuild the motor if it needs it.

If the computer says left bank running lean then you might have a vacuum leak. If you put a vacuum gauge on it what kind of vacuum is it pulling?

What's the fuel pressure? Are there any codes in the computer?

Old 07-21-2009, 11:06 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Ok more on a positive note. this is the cam I installed in my 460. It is Competion #34-255-5 grind # FFXE256H14 it is about the only computer compatiable listed and is exceptionally smooth with lots of low end pull.. If Crane cams is back in business Crane#353902 grind #HMV 260-2 is good a little more torque and slightly rough idle it dosn't say computer compatiable but it is. You will have to get the stiffer springs for the valves, each cam manufacture can set you up with what you need.. Also this is a flat tappet set up,and with the stronger springs you will need the zddp. additive for the motor oil.
I have 9.5:1 pistons which means I had to run premium fuel or it pings so bad you will think it has a valve problem. I installed a Fitch fuel additive system and now run regular fuel with no more pinging, so that is an option to consider.
Mine is also balanced and blueprinted double roller chain and standard oil pump. I had the high volume oil pump and it put enough load on the distributer gear that it wore it out prematurely and took out the crane cam I had installed. Plus I installed roller rockers.
You might look into a roller tappet cam although it is more money.If I can think of more I will let you know. There was anouther young guy on here (Mikey) who had lots of info on his 460 rebuild. especially on the zddp. additive, it will be worth searching the site..
Goodluck with your truck and welcome to FTE...Doug