1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Too much stress in this forum IMHO

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 PM
alanco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much stress in this forum IMHO

I will be abandoning this forum for the next several months for two reasons:

1. I think that the main reason is that I will be busy at Hot August Nights, as I am taking a lot of body parts to the Swap Meet. Shortly after that are the Reno Air Races where I am a volunteer. I will be very busy getting the vacation trailer in shape, tagging all the parts, and finishing my landscaping projects..

2. But the second reason is that from the perspective of a car and truck builder, I find many posters want to get technical information without buying the basic books that they need for the hobby. There is also a social order that feels threatened if a builder who must do things correctly out of pride and reputation has an opinion that differs from one of the self appointed experts.

It is also interesting that I have sold far more F-100 parts on the HAMB Classifieds than on the Ford Trucks (this) website. This website has been better in the wanted parts of the classifieds. The use of the classifieds is the primary reason that I am a Supporter. I have met a lot of good people through the different classifieds on this website, many from other years, for 4WD related parts. I am a supporter of the HAMB website, but am not active on the forum much, just the classifieds.

Since this is my second '53 build, I will be documenting the build with pictures and text and posting later in the year. The body is off, and the chassis is cleaned and mostly painted, but much welding needs to be done prior to installing the body and finishing the cab. These postings will be duplicated on the DarkSide Forum.

Anyone wishing to flame me is invited to use the PM to me as it is not likely that I will have time to go to the forums. You could also directly e-mail me at alanco@starband.net.

Regards,

Alan

Old 07-20-2009, 04:27 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sad.. I find no stress here.. I will miss your contribution..

never see anything on the swap meet or merchandise section here.. don't visit it often because of that..

good luck with all the sales and your busy schedule.. I've got one coming too..

Sam

Old 07-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Woodsman_30350
Elder User
Good luck with your sabatical. I find the Internet a blessing and a curse. While I purchased and referenced a library of manuals for the F-1, I cannot find anything more valuable than exchanging information directly with folks with similar interests experiences.

If I have a chance to read a book or speak to the author, I do both.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:37 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think this is a great site, where else can you find this many people that love old Ford Trucks. I've been a mechanic for over thirty years and I can tell you one thing if you put two mechanics together there will be a differance of opinon. Theres allways more then one way to do something, you just hope the way you pick is the right way if its not you just do it again. I love everybodys opinon because everybody on this site is after one thing its to roll down the street in a great looking old Ford truck.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:14 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I too find it annoying at times that people don't have the basic shop manuals for their trucks. I don't see how you can work on these trucks without a shop manual and I have stated this in many of my posts. Hopefully as the new comers to the site get into their trucks they will purchase the shop manuals. But, there are a lot of things not covered in the shop manual, or not clearly stated in the manual. I'm a long time member of this board and I try to help out whenever possible but I just posted a question about the rear axle on my F-2. I didn't realize until today that there was a specific area, away from the main axle section, that had my answer. Sometimes we don't take the time to do a thorough reading of the manual and we need a gentle nudge in the right direction.

I also agree there are "experts" on the board who don't always agree with others and like to impress us with their wizdom but this board is like society in general, if you don't like the response just ignore and avoid them. There are way many more members who will offer help and encouragement.

I also like talking trucks whenever possible so people who ask questions that can be found in the manaul are just another chance for me to talk about old Ford trucks. I don't have many people around me who are interested in my obsession with these trucks and this is the best place to go to commensurate with fellow truck nuts.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:28 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alan

Don't go - you give very good information and you ask very good questions. The books are required as far as I am concerned.

I try only to "expert" where I know that I'm flat out correct AS I UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM and where my 50+ years of experience helps out.
If I am one of the experts that wrinkles your undies - ignore me - but please don't leave because of me.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Please don't go. I haven't posted much lately but find your knowlege a nice thing. I have manuals on my truck but many time the manual does't cover my problem. If you must go, I look forward to your return. Kurt G.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:35 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
I have a shop manual and i still ask dumb questions. I don't get it..

Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
And I don't have any manuals.. but then, I am not doing anything stock either.

sam

Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM
vintage tin
Senior User
i for one think this is the coolest site ive ever been on.i just got my 50 merc f68,i dont have a manual yet,but i will soon. the thing is 1st my truck "shouldnt "take to much to get it on the road,so my money needs to go to the things i need for that first,imo,2nd,a manual would not have helped me get the 53 f-1 front hubs on to my axle,with out your help it would be far more diffacult.also the manual im sure would not have offered to buy a fuel pump for me from the usa,and ship it to me in canada because they are 1/3 the price down there.this site is very important to me ,all my live i have seen so many "exprets" that wouldnt show you a dam thing,in many differant trades.for me i leanered most thing by myself trail and error lots of error.
sorry for going on like this ,but sites like this are very helpful and important to me if it wre not for poeple like you guys i would be lost even with a manual.
please come back soon if you do leave,im sure im not the only one out here that needs you guys and ladies

thanks roy

Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
councilman
Senior User
Seven peoples positive replies. I'll leave it at that.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 PM
51MHF5
Senior User
I don't see much stress here either. I know I asked questions in order to get some work done while I was waiting for my manuals to arrive. And then dang if one of the questions I asked wasn't answered in the manual. "How do you tighten the belts on this flathead". And double dang if the answer wasn't supplied by a member of this site "lay a 2x4 across the fenders, tighten a chain around the generator and lever the ...blah, blah blah" Now that's why I use sites like this. Sorry to see you go. I personally think that stress is self induced. I know I don't get stressed about ANYTHING unless I allow myself to.

Cheers

Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
I guess we all participate for various reasons..... I'm not gennie so I have more interest in what other's are doing. I agree if you want to play in this world you need to get the basic info since it's easy to obtain.

With engines I'm an expert and with Ford Trucks I'm a student.... It depends on where you are in the food chain. All I can share is what experience taught me. Nothing more, nothing less. 99% of the time I leave the topic to others. Once in a while I actually know some stuff that might help.

I'm not too concerned about what I can get out of this forum. I just like to see what other folks are doing, I like the friendship and humor and maybe I can help once in a while.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:15 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
So easy, a caveman can do it!!! Not really.

Only stress I endure is seeing my truck in a thousand pieces and I can't do anything without any funds. Hope you come back soon, and I'll be watching on that "other" forum. Enjoy your vacation!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Mr Mayo
Bring out the best!
I am sorry to see you go, and wish you well in your endeavors. Hope to see you back here in the future.

Quick Reply: Too much stress in this forum IMHO