1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Too much stress in this forum IMHO

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come back when you are able to return. I respect people who are honest and says what they think. Contribute when you can, listen when you are interested, ignor the ones you question. Don't believe anyone until you have checked the information. We have some really knowledgable people here and on the other end, new builders, the rest of us are somewhere in between. All are needed, this is what makes our forum great. We have more team help here than any other forum that I have viewed. chuck

Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Alan, I know how you feel sometimes. I do agree, get a book. The younger generations often, but not always, lack the proper guidance, and they stick out like sore thumbs here. I was fortunate enough to have great parents. If I had a question about something, they told me to look it up. If I didn't know what a word meant, mom gave me the dictionary. If I didn't know how that part worked, dad handed me the motor books. It does get stressful sometimes. I've ranted before, and I know I will again. I have taken breaks. They are often very much needed. Before mom died, I was on here all the time. Worked out some major planning with a bunch guys and gals. Things fell apart when mom died. I wasn't on here for more than two months, and got a phone call one day from one of the members. I came back to the board to a surprising number of folks that were sending their support, even though we had never met, and likely never will. I butt heads with people, mostly Julie, but I have a great deal of respect for that woman. Personally, the site sometimes looks more like a youth convention in a local Wal-Mart parking lot than a site that combines hundreds of years of old Ford truck experience. Yeah, we all lose sight of the bigger picture often, but spen a hour or two on FTE, and you might refocus your lens. I peruse the threads daily. I may or may not post, but I check. I check more for members with a question I know I can answer. I've lost most of my memory of the F-100 thru F-350 trucks, but have gained mountains of knowledge about the Big Jobs, and more mountains about road tractor mechanics. Take a break, do what you got to do, and we'll see you in a month or two. BTW, while at Hot August Nights, look for a black '55 Chevy gasser from Oregon. Blower sticking out the hood, and 3" pipes out the side, connected to electric cut outs. I helped build that car, and man is it a screamer. There might also be a purple Vega drag car that says Flyin' Hawaiin on the back. I've helped work on that one too. Good luck, and we'll see after a bit.....Joe

Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
I'd get a manual, but the only things left stock on my truck will be the sheet-metal. As I'm going into uncharted territory (for me), I like to pick the brains of those who have gone before me. I look at it this way, If I ask a question, others are free to choose whether or not they respond. Likewise, if somebody else asks a question, if I'm able to help, I do.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:24 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't get the stress alan ...... i haven't seen any here . a few disagreements a lot of smart a-- replies meant to illicit a laugh .... and a lot of stuff that smells pretty bad being spread around but that's about it . i find the hamb a stressfull place as i don't like computor rambo's who send me threats , including one who lives here in town { and won't come out of hiding ! } a pain . and the oh you wan't to question my authority so i'll ban you childish mentality , stressful , but not here . anyway good luck and check back in . were not ogres , we just look the part ........................

Old 07-21-2009, 08:25 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
It's always sad to here that we are or about to lose a member from this site and will admit that I too would be sorry if you weren't around. I feel that you have alot of knowledge and experience to share. The stress thing I believe is self induced as I feel at times that if a person on here is not building something to your liking then you don't have the time for them and would rather run them down for what they personally would like out of thier truck. You have stated that you have built trucks that were not to your personel liking but still made a living doing so. I was always told that there was not a dumb question, although once we get the answer we may feel dumb, but we now have an understanding. What I'm trying to say is that you likely have the answers to the dumb as well as the brilliant questions but need the patience to answer or to ignore the ones you shouldn't answer. And to let you know that there is no ill feelings from the past as we are all intitled to an opinion. Hoping to see you here in the future.
John

Old 07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good Riddance

In my experience with him, he was a complete jerk, and he said two wheel drive trucks were for sissies.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:34 PM
JDMick
Senior User
Any stress associated with this forum didn't make any sense until I read this little exchange.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-controls.html
Life's too short. I'll just leave it at that.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
your classifieds experiences suprise me a bit. I've had good luck with both sites in the past, but looking at the stats on each:

hamb:
Threads: 309,867, Posts: 3,754,927, Members: 78,135

FTE:
Threads: 857,798, Posts: 7,704,435, Users Registered: 517,383
and in this forum 31k threads and 302k posts...

FWIW

I can relate with you on both accounts. for the last year I've been too busy with work for much of anything truck related (a good problem to have these days.) I've barely made one car show in that time. I fetched a truck for some parts and listed it to part the excesses and have not had time to touch it since. and as far as the drama, I have an impecable ability of ignoring such things. I'm sure when you get caught up and have the time, you'll return, like me. If my experience is replicated, you'll find you 'need' this fix as much as it needs each of its' members.
JML

Old 07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
low54
Elder User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
And I don't have any manuals.. but then, I am not doing anything stock either.

sam
Well said, Here's my flame...take your time coming back...between Joe's complaining about stockers to your sayin folks should buy a shop manuel...its taking up thread space for project build threads, tech support, idea's being discussed...I've found a wealth of knowledge here, I support and dig everyone's piece of advice...But the cantankerousness sometimes is just to much...I've never met any of you in person but have some friendships here that are pretty cool...I'd even sip a brew with ya's, you don't want to share your knowledge with us, fine, your right you need a break from the forum...By the way...I have a shop manuel...but couldn't find anywhere in it that should how to fab a angle iron frame for a rear gas tank...Oh...I think someone here gave me that info! DOUGH!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:05 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I've spent a lot of time on several different forums over the last few years. Here on FTE, a few Ford tractor boards, and over at the Ford Falcon News. This kind of post pops up from time to time. They read a little different, but it's always the same thing. In my dim view of the universe, if you were really unhappy or displeased, you'd just leave with no sob story or commentary. But posting a farewell and making a big show of packing up your shovel and pail before you exit the sandbox is nothing more than a staged dramatic interlude. You're simply afraid that nobody would notice that you're gone if you didn't point it out. If you don't like individual members or the direction that forum is going, then by all means, bug out. We'll motor on here without you. If you want to come back later, there will always be a stool available at the bar. But don't expect a parade in your honor or your own national holiday if you do. You're just one of many just like the rest of us. There's always someone willing and able to take your place.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:29 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Aint no reason to get nasty and call names. We all vent from time to time. It's that venting that makes uss all seem more human, than just text on a site page. Every one in this thread has vented, I've seen it, we've all done it. I've done it. I've gotten my fruit of looms in a bunch, we all have. It's called being human, and there is no science, or medicine in the world that will take the human factor away. My ranting is over for a while...maybe it'll come back next week, or maybe tomorrow, maybe never. Yeah, we all want to know if we're gonna be missed. Again, that's the human factor. If you're not missed, then wants the point of living, since obviously you've not made any impact on anything in the world. Personally, I've talked to Alan, and in my opinion, he's not a jerk. He's extremely intelligent, and very talented. A lot of what seems to come in todays society, is the definition of a truck. Trucks were purpose built, for the everyday driver to haul their oen stuff, without having to call a delivery company. They were not invented to scrape the highway, or be all luxurious. That's why Caddy, and Lincoln were developed. Now, with an increase in the worlds population, more city folk wanted a truck, and of course, the dressing up created a whole new world. I use my dually as my grocery getter, but I also use it to do service calls. My trucks are trucks, and they are used as trucks. No show and shine, no undercarriage chrome, all dirty, and greasy, and covered in work. Always have been, may not always going to be. Different strokes for different folks. Oh well, that's the way the world turns. Still aint no need to be getting all bent up out of shape calling names. Starting to sound like an elementary school playground. Perhaps it's time to kill the thread.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:06 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
“Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain”. – The Wizard of OZ<o></o>
<o></o>
If you replace “curtain” with “Internet”, you will find many wizards, mentors, geniuses, egotists, charlatans, troublemakers; The list is endless. Most have a name with no face. You tend to deduce their character through their writing. You are free to ignore those with whom you disagree. You are free to not answer questions that you deem are dumb. You are free to share your knowledge with those that ask for help. <o></o>
<o></o>
I have found over the years that “being right” is less important than how you interact with others. Facts and opinions often intertwined and the urge to do battle is best left unsatisfied. You will garner more respect and avoid unneeded stress in the process.
<o></o>
You have a lifetime of experience and knowledge to share. I look forward to your return.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Last time I "VENTED" I got 2 points. I wonder how many one can get and still
be allowed on FTE?

I'll be good today

Kevin Bigwin

Old 07-22-2009, 07:07 AM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I got a warning because I "called him a jerk". Hahaha, all I can say, is if it walks like a duck....

Old 07-22-2009, 09:33 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
What are the points for and how do you get them? It appears I have 10 well at least on the user cp side it says 10 points.

Chuck

Quick Reply: Too much stress in this forum IMHO