Sponsored by: Moser

just got my new customed curved DUI

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 09:35 PM
ironhead86
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got my new customed curved DUI

hey everyone this will be going into my 75 f250 with the 460ci. my co-worker put one on his 74 about 3 years ago and loves it. my question is, when i turn my motor to point the rotor to my intake for a reference mark. i should be able to drop my new DUI unit in making sure the rotor points to the same spot Ive herd i might have to turn the crank to get it to seat all the way into the oil pump drive. my question is and it might sound ignorant. but my old duraspark dizzy has a #1 mark on the spark plug wire and the new DUI is a different cap design and does not have a #1 wire designation. Sorry for the silly question I have not done this before and wanted to do it my self instead of paying for labor at some shop. thank for any input. Mark

Old 07-20-2009, 04:28 PM
PerfDistIgnition
FTE Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ironhead86
hey everyone this will be going into my 75 f250 with the 460ci. my co-worker put one on his 74 about 3 years ago and loves it. my question is, when i turn my motor to point the rotor to my intake for a reference mark. i should be able to drop my new DUI unit in making sure the rotor points to the same spot Ive herd i might have to turn the crank to get it to seat all the way into the oil pump drive. my question is and it might sound ignorant. but my old duraspark dizzy has a #1 mark on the spark plug wire and the new DUI is a different cap design and does not have a #1 wire designation. Sorry for the silly question I have not done this before and wanted to do it my self instead of paying for labor at some shop. thank for any input. Mark
Make #1 the terminal that your rotor points to.

If you are installing a DUI distributor into an engine that has an ignition system presently, then this simple procedure will have your engine running in no time. On the old distributor, remove the distributor cap and the vacuum advance hose. Note the position of the rotor. We suggest cranking the engine over until the rotor faces the firewall and mark it with chalk. Remove the distributor hold-down clamp and bolt. Pull the distributor up and out of the engine noting the postion of the rotor as the distributor clears the engine. With the cap off of the new DUI distributor, position the rotor to where it was when the distributor was just removed from the engine. Slide the distributor down into the engine. Be sure the rotor turns back to the original position (mark on firewall). If the oil pump drive does not engage, check that the rotor is pointing in the correct direction. If not, repeat the installation procedure. If it still doesn't engage, bump the engine over until the distributor drive drops into the oil pump drive. Reinstall the hold-down clamp and bolt finger tight. Install the distributor cap and transfer the plug wires. It is recommended to open the plug gaps up to .055" and this would be a good time to change them.
We recommend setting your initial timing at 12 degrees BTDC while the engine is idleing very slow (+ or - 600 RPM) and with the vacuum advance disconnected and the vacuum hose plugged