1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

tie rod question

Old 07-19-2009, 07:22 AM
twise
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tie rod question

I installed a 3" drop axle from CCP and they are suggesting installing a solid steel tie rod for steering support. Has anyone installed a drop axle without changing the tie rod? If so how did your steering respond? Just don't want to buy anymore than I have to. Thanks

Old 07-19-2009, 04:18 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are not going to feel any difference in the steering; it's just stronger than the original which was hallow. I have one on my drop axle I can't tell the difference in the actual steering & handling

Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hades tim just save yourself the money and go buy a nice thick solid rod from mervis or ? and weld it solid to the spindles then it'll be really strong !!!!!!!! been looking at and thinking about how much " deflection " the oe hollow tie rod sleeve might have with the increased bump steer and weighing the different options . i also sent my pitman arm to a freind who's cutting it rewelding it then heat treating it to get the hardness back , to help try and eliminate some of it , the bump steer . if i didn't want the appearance and nostalgia of my straight axle and the simplicity of repair i'd have went with the clip off the vic i parted ............... i gotta 3/4 t0 1 inch diameter pto drive shaft we can weld on there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread