Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hitch capacity / tongue weight question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 PM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hitch capacity / tongue weight question

Hey fellas... I have a potential trailer that I may be hauling...

My trailer hitch is Class IV rated at 750 lbs tongue weight.

This trailer is a travel trailer rated at 40 ft long, 10,500 lbs and states it has a dry hitch weight of 1600 lbs.

How can I haul a trailer such as this? I know my truck will pull it, but whats up with the tongue / hitch weight???

How do I make this work?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:37 PM
sideshow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm no expert, but i'd say not unless you upgrade your receiver. get a class V (2 1/2 inch receiver) and a weight distribution hitch. something like this http://www.etrailer.com/pc-WD5~66006.htm. i have seen class v receiver (http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=45007) that are rated to carry almost that weight without the distribution bars, but i'd not recommend it. it will ride A LOT better with the wt. distribution. i used to have a 6 ton hudson trailer that I towed my 7500 lb skid loader on (total trailer weight of about 10500lbs) and it rode almost as smooth as my gooseneck.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:50 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll agree the weight distribution hitch is the way to go. Don't know if you need the 2 1/2" receiver frame. All my heavy towing is with a gooseneck.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:05 PM
sideshow
Elder User
i don't know if the 2 1/2" is necessary, but most of the class v's i've seen were. most of the 2" one's weren't rated but for 1200-1500 tongue wt even with the WD. i just recently traded for a little 26 ft TT. i was building a covered porch and the customer said they'd trade the camper for building the porch 4' longer. sounded good to me. i'll mainly use it as a jobsite camper, to crash in on the jobs that require weeks of work 2-3 hrs away.

anyway, i'm not familiar with TT's and how much they weigh. mine was light enough that i pulled it home with just my pintle combo. rode perfectly level, and with ZERO sway. your trailer is a lot longer and with what seems like a rather large tongue wt. may be normal, but like i said, i'm a rookie with campers. i'm usually towing a landscape trailer, or the 25' triple axle gooseneck.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:07 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another vote for the weight distribution hitch. Pulled our previous Travel Trailer to Florida & South Dakota with it - 32' and about 8K lbs.

a 40' Travel Trailer is a big boy.....make sure your brakes are all good to go.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:16 PM
afonda
Laughing Gas
understood

I have a 1200 lb weight dist hitch. Question is... how do I use it to tow this trailer just once with out drilling the frame and mounting the spring bar hooks??

This is what I have.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/product...ch%20Bar,66084

Thanks...

Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Are you talking about drilling the frame of the trailer or truck? I guess I'm not understanding fully.

As far as the truck is concerned, the hitch assembly should just slide into the receiver on the truck & lock with a locking pin. But the trailer - you'll need no mount the sway bars & chain brackets. But it looks like you are over the capacity of the Reese hitch.

How far do you need to tow it?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:12 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Also,

Check out Jim's Camping forum....

http://www.jimscampingforums.com/forums/

Lots of great folks there also - especially when it comes to campers & hitches.....

I've had a 5th wheel for the past 5 years so my my memory is a bit rusty on the subject. It's a big Travel Trailer so get it set up right the first time......

Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
About a month ago, i hired out my truck to tow a 30' 9k Airstream 230 miles, i used a borrowed 8k-10k weight distribution hitch for the job...i had to keep checking the rear view to make sure the tailgater was still there...i couldn't tell i was towing anything...hehehe...you'll be fine, but definately get the weight distribution hitch...my reciever is just the factory, i did ask a local camper dealer what that hitch was rated for, and was told...and i quote..."that factory hitch will tow 10k with what you've got now, if you're adding a distribution hitch, you could tow up to 16k without a problem"...so, have fun and don't worry about the details...hehehehe

Old 07-17-2009, 01:34 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
I have a 15k W/D hitch and when hauling my backhoe have at least 2k on the tongue and hardly know its there
I pulled it from North Georgia to SW Fla (750 miles) most the time never under 80 MPH and past 90 quite a bit

Old 07-17-2009, 06:04 AM
equine hauler
New User
Originally Posted by afonda
I have a 1200 lb weight dist hitch. Question is... how do I use it to tow this trailer just once with out drilling the frame and mounting the spring bar hooks??

This is what I have.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/product...ch%20Bar,66084

Thanks...

If you are refering to drilling holes in the trailer frame for the sway bars, you can pull it without them. I have and only noticed the differance during high wind gusts or passing large trucks on the hwy. But as a rule and because its already there, I usually use them. There are other swaybars options that can be purchused as well.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:43 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Here is a pic of my W/D Hitch.

Notice the 2 bolts that attach to the front of the trailer frame.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:31 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I would drill them. I have a similar set-up. I am going to pick my TT up from getting inspected in a few minutes and I will take some pics to compare. I have towed it with, and without the WD bars and I won't do it again without them unless it's for a short distance and 45mph or lower. Mine is a 30 foot and dry weight I think is 7700lbs. It moved around quite a bit on me. Now keep in mind I have D rated 315's on 16 inch rims so I have a lot of sidewall flexion possible. I don't know what tires and rims you have, so you may not experience as much movement as I did.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Those brackets for the weight distributing hitch clamp to the trailer frame, you don't have to drill anything from my experience.
Pulling a 40' long trailer you will definitely want the weight distributing hitch, and the anti-sway if you can swing it. Pulling our 28' bumper pull TT last year at highway speeds it didn't take much to get it swayin' in the breeze. I was just using a regular draw bar- no equalizer hitch or anti-sway.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Those brackets for the weight distributing hitch clamp to the trailer frame, you don't have to drill anything from my experience.
Pulling a 40' long trailer you will definitely want the weight distributing hitch, and the anti-sway if you can swing it. Pulling our 28' bumper pull TT last year at highway speeds it didn't take much to get it swayin' in the breeze. I was just using a regular draw bar- no equalizer hitch or anti-sway.

Did you look at the pic? There are 2 pieces that attach to the frame on each side. Are you saying they both just clamp on? and I dont need the front piece bolted on?

Quick Reply: Hitch capacity / tongue weight question