Modular V10 (6.8l)  

air hog vs. K & N

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:50 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
air hog vs. K & N

I have a 2v V10 that i put a fram air hog on years ago.
Are they as good as K & N or should i buy one of those?

Old 07-16-2009, 07:29 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Glad to hear your v-10 is so awesome. back to your ?, if you have mas/maf sensors the oil in oil treated filters can cause your sensors to go bananas. Major problem. My advice is to stick with dry filters. take it or leave it. I will try to help even a gasser if its a Ford.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Glad to hear your v-10 is so awesome. back to your ?, if you have mas/maf sensors the oil in oil treated filters can cause your sensors to go bananas. Major problem. My advice is to stick with dry filters. take it or leave it. I will try to help even a gasser if its a Ford.
Not really. As they are from the factory, no problem. This urban myth of oiled screwing up your MAF came from the fact that many morons over oiled their filters when they cleaned them. The truth about K&N though is that they sacrifice filtration for air flow. While this might not be a problem in generally clean environments, it does your engine no good in the dust and dirt. That's why I looked into the Volant CAIs, because of their use of Donaldson Powercores.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:31 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
After running my truck in bad dust for 50k with the air hog the intake is clean.
I know not to oil them to much.
Right know i have an Air hog.
Is the K&N better?
is there a better air intake set up to replace the stock one?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 PM
rustyfuryiii
Senior User
bill,

Not sure what you're after. If it's a performance gain, I highly doubt you'd ever see much of a difference between the two. If it's a mileage difference you're seeking, then I doubt you'd ever recoup the money spent on the new system. If you're asking if there's a difference between the two filters ablity to filter dirt, it's unlikely anyone here has spent the time and money on the equipment necessary to measure that difference. Though I think bobistheoilguy.com may have done some research in the whole gauze air filter schtick, not sure

Don't know what year your truck is, but I thought the '04 and up V10 flowed all the air needed up to 5000rpm. I have a stock air intake on my '96 wagon, and it flows all the air that stock engine needs up to 5000rpm as well. The air intake systems on most cars and trucks built in the last 10yrs or so do more than an excellent job of pulling cool air from the front of the vehicle and not from the hot engine bay. In fact, I had used a K&N CAI filter on my '93 F150XL w/ the I6. Trueth be told that system actually required me to scrap my factory cold air induction and strap on their filter to my intake duct. At that point I was sucking in the hot air from the engine bay. I ran that K&N CAI for 130,000 miles, I washed the filter and oiled it 4 times in that period. Never had a problem with it, and never noticed any grit in the intake ducting, throttle body, or intake manifold. I stuck a thermocouple inside the K&N filter once and recorded temps up to 145deg F while at idle and crawling thru traffic. But, as the speed increased over 35mph, the engine was soon pulling the much cooler air from outside the truck.

K&N and other CAI setups can offer real performance gains, but only when other engine modifications are factored into the equation. Aside from the increased engine noise I was less than flattered with what the K&N system cost vs what my old '93 F150 got out of it. And as such decided to leave my V10 alone. Others on this site have added CAI kits to their V10s, should only be a matter of time before someone chimes in with their results.

Though as I said, I've seen many a so called CAI system that required you to abandon your very real, very functional factory cold air induction so you could bolt on their kit. Only to have it suck in hot engine bay air.

Bottom line, I'm not sure what you're after to offer a valid response to.

Enjoy,
RustyFuryIII

Old 07-16-2009, 11:33 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
That is what i wanted to know.
So a Air hog filter and stock intake is the best way to go.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
come on, us V10 guys are not that bad.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:36 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The oil getting all over the MAF will only happen if the filter is over oiled. Your statement is the typical forum response, mainly made by people who have no actual experience using the product.

I have a 2v V10 that i put a fram air hog on years ago.
Are they as good as K & N or should i buy one of those?
I'd keep the airhog if its in good shape. You won't notice any difference in performance with the two.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:33 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Glad to hear your v-10 is so awesome. back to your ?
You can stop it now ...

if you have mas/maf sensors the oil in oil treated filters can cause your sensors to go bananas. Major problem.
There once was a problem with K&N over-oiling their filters from the factory. It happened around the 1997-1998 time frame, I bought one for my '96 t-bird and it was dripping wet. After they fouled quite a large number of MAFs (leading to the urban myth that all K&N's cause this), they fixed the production issue and there are no more problems.

I now run that same filter in my '97 Cougar, after redoing it myself and there is NO OIL on my MAF when I clean it.

My advice is to stick with dry filters. take it or leave it. I will try to help even a gasser if its a Ford.
Yes, with a jab or two mixed in. If you want to "help", leave them out

--

To the original poster:

I ran an Air Hog in my V10 for quite a few years, after going through quite a number of paper filters. Around here (Metro NY), diesel soot clogs up the paper filters and I can tell the difference in only a few thousand miles. With the Air Hog, there was no performance drop-off noticeable, and there was never EVER any dust or other matter inside the air intake tube.

As for which one is better, I don't really know

I do have a Volant CAI now, which helped low-end torque (helped spin the tires from a stop a little better) most likely because it changes the entire intake tube and removed an abrupt almost 90-degree angle right after the air box. However, that was after putting ebay headers on, so I can't say for sure how much it would help a totally stock engine.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:32 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow you guys are touchy over here. I only offered this advice because I have seen and known guys to over oil. You know the old saying if a little is good then more is better.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:44 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by rustyfuryiii
Though as I said, I've seen many a so called CAI system that required you to abandon your very real, very functional factory cold air induction so you could bolt on their kit. Only to have it suck in hot engine bay air.
Just for the record, the Volant CAI does not suck hot engine bay air. The air box extends through the hole in the radiator support that the stock air box snorkel goes through.

It's one of the few setups that replace the entire intake tube and air box and doesn't get hot engine bay air

Old 07-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Zedrive
Senior User
I've only had 4 personal vehicals since I first got a car 30 years ago. They must last to me, they are not disposable every couple of years.

Ford advises; changing the paper air filter to frequently can cause premature engine wear. Think why

Hows about using an oiled one in place of your in cabin air filter. Yea, you could flow more air thru the vents sweet.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:42 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Zedrive
Ford advises; changing the paper air filter to frequently can cause premature engine wear.
Where does it say that?

Old 07-18-2009, 04:57 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=Zedrive;7732518]I've only had 4 personal vehicals since I first got a car 30 years ago. They must last to me, they are not disposable every couple of years.

Ford advises; changing the paper air filter to frequently can cause premature engine wear. Think why

So you're saying that Ford relies on partially restricted intake air flow to maximize longevity? I don't think so. The only premature wear from changing filters too frequently might be your wallet.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Zedrive
Senior User
First my appologies. I attributed this to Ford but I can only find it written on All data under Intake air system.

From the back of a K&N filter box.
As dirt builds up on the outside of a K&N filter, it acts as part of the filter media further extending the filters service life.
All filters have inherent to their service life a period of optium filtration It is not at the beginning and it is not at the end.
So to flow for 50,000 miles how big of particals do we start with.
Paper good
Now, for race day

Quick Reply: air hog vs. K & N