1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

cool seats not as cool now

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 AM
wkbrdtx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool seats not as cool now

My 2003 Expedition EB 117,000+ miles has the heated/cooled seats. The cool feature comes in handy this time of year in Houston. When new the seats cooled pretty good but now they are just not as good. The air is cool it just doesn't seem to flow as well and has gradually lost the cooling effect over time. The cabin and rear A/C are still blowing cold. I looked into changing the seat filters myself but it apparently entails removing the leather seat covers and I do not presently have the time to do that myself. I had the dealer replace the seat air filters about a year ago but it did not help and the seat cooling effect is still waning. I have a "trust" issue with Ford dealership maintenance folks but that is another story. So my question is - Have any of you had similar experiences with the cooled seats or have any of you replaced the seat filters in your Expedition? Did it help? Also, the dealership has informed me that the cabin HVAC for the 2003 Expedition does not have a filter. Can you confirm this?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:27 AM
bnovak
Senior User
Got a shop-vac? Might be worth trying to "Vacum" the seats. It might not be the actual seat filter, but the seat surface can get junk (clothes fibers, etc) rubbed into it. I'd guess that this could reduce airflow.

Also, I think the HVAC filters are "optional" equipment so it might not have one.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
The seat filters are under the seats, and pop out in the blink of an eye. They are accessed from the second row by moving the seat to it's furthest forward and up position. If they charged you more than $20 bucks for that they got you. That said, I don't think it is really your problem. The problem is the foam in the seat cushions has settled over time and is starting to block the air flow channels. To change those you need to take the seat covers off. There are few threads that touch on it, but nobody has ever come back and said they did the change themselves.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:20 AM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
The seat filters are under the seats, and pop out in the blink of an eye. They are accessed from the second row by moving the seat to it's furthest forward and up position. If they charged you more than $20 bucks for that they got you. That said, I don't think it is really your problem. The problem is the foam in the seat cushions has settled over time and is starting to block the air flow channels. To change those you need to take the seat covers off. There are few threads that touch on it, but nobody has ever come back and said they did the change themselves.
Agree with everything, except I have read where atleast one person changed the seat foam and had positive results. Can't remember who though.