airconditioner compressor click

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Deebo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airconditioner compressor click

I have a 2001 super crew with the 5.4
When I run the air, the compressor clicks every rotation. I checked it out and there is some oil on the frame that looks like it is coming from the compressor.
The air is still cold and seems to work fine.
so if I'm losing oil can I change a seal and add more oil?

Old 07-11-2009, 06:23 PM
spoogie
Junior User
Think your out of luck. New compressor time. Drive it until it quits blowing cold air.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Deebo
Senior User
Thanks,
I kind of figured that, just didn't want to hear it. It's sad... I bought this truck new in july of 2000. It only has 46K on it. Must be setting too much.
Any idea on the cost for a new one?

Old 07-11-2009, 07:03 PM
spoogie
Junior User
Gee,
I don't know. Compressor several hundred dollar job???
Just a guess. Somebody here may know more about it.
Sorry.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Deebo
Senior User
Thanks again,
I would say a new compressor, probably around $350 to $450.
I could change it out but then the charge is probably $150.
Either way a lot of money.
I'm afraid if I run it out of oil it will lock up and then throw the belt off and tear up some more stuff. And of course it will be while pulling my camper and out in the middle of no where.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:56 PM
spoogie
Junior User
Cost me 75 at the Ford dealer for a vacuum and refill. Replacing a compressor is really no big deal if you are handy with tools. Me, I would autozone one and slap it on and have it filled. You could save a pocketful of cash. Enough to go camping.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Deebo
Senior User
Thanks.
That's what I will do.
I Don't know about the camping... It's not as cheap as it used to be.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:53 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the compressor is leaking oil, it's likely because the High side pressure is too high and causing it to blow oil past the case seals. Rarely do those seals just randomly leak, it's a symptom of another issue not the cause. The compressor is damaged regardless.
When you replace the compressor, also pull the orifice tube and check it for debris. The 2 main culprits of leaking case seals are a weak clutch fan or a ruptured desiccant bag in the accumulator. Inspecting the orifice will determine which.
Do yourself a big favor and don't buy a compressor from Auto Zone, the quality control on those compressors is dismal. You "might" get a good one, but if you do you should also play the Lottery. You'll most likely be replacing it again in about a year or so.
If you "drive it until it quits blowing cold air" the compressor will likely grenade and run the cost of the repair up a few hundred $$ more.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:55 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by spoogie
Cost me 75 at the Ford dealer for a vacuum and refill. Replacing a compressor is really no big deal if you are handy with tools. Me, I would autozone one and slap it on and have it filled. You could save a pocketful of cash. Enough to go camping.
Spoogie,
Doing it that way could also cost him a lot more money in the end. If the orifice is blocked the new compressor could be damaged and further trash the system.
Cheap, half assed repairs can be very costly mistakes with an AC system.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:08 PM
spoogie
Junior User
we can go even further with this and the need to have the whole system flushed out due to the fact he has a bearing noise already in the compressor. orifice tube wont catch everything. fine metal and desiccant could lurk throughout the system. No camping for you. your getting close to 800$+-. I'm not wealthy, I will not pay ford prices. I've had very good luck with auto zone. Half the price is a easy pill to swallow.
Jay

Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
The determination to flush or not would come after inspection of the orifice.

There's no need to pay Ford prices for a compressor, but there's also no need to throw money away on a junk Four Seasons (or whoever they are this particular week) compressor from Auto Zone that will more often than not fail just out of warranty. Even Advance Auto, Pep Boys and Checkers carry better quality compressors.

I'm not rich either, but I also don't have money to waste on junk parts just 'cause they're cheap.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Deebo
Senior User
Thanks guys,
I will check into this..
Can I relieve some pressure and see what happens? I have noticed the clutch fan not raising at a light or while setting still. Ofcourse the truck only has 46K on it?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:58 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Deebo
Thanks guys,
I will check into this..
Can I relieve some pressure and see what happens? I have noticed the clutch fan not raising at a light or while setting still. Ofcourse the truck only has 46K on it?
Removing refrigerant (relieving pressure) will not accomplish anything. It will just make the system undercharged.
Right now your choices are:
- replace the compressor and fix what caused the seal failure.
- disconnect the compressor to prevent further damage.
-run it until it quits and risk causing collateral damage to the system.

Deebo,
I see you are in Ohio. Whereabouts? Maybe I can help.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:58 PM
spoogie
Junior User
My clutch fan is real quiet too. If your not running hot at idle, you're probably OK. Get yourself a lifetime warranty compressor and expand upon this as fat as your wallet will go. You don't have to go to any place in particular for a compressor. I make jet engines for GE, I don't work for any auto parts store. Your truck is like new, its a shame a dry seal can cause you so much trouble.
Jay

Old 07-11-2009, 10:12 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by spoogie
My clutch fan is real quiet too. If your not running hot at idle, you're probably OK. Get yourself a lifetime warranty compressor and expand upon this as fat as your wallet will go. You don't have to go to any place in particular for a compressor. I make jet engines for GE, I don't work for any auto parts store. Your truck is like new, its a shame a dry seal can cause you so much trouble.
Jay
Jay, Jay, Jay...
A weak fan clutch will cause issues with the AC Loooong before you notice a problem with engine temperature.
The seal in his compressor didn't fail because it was dry. It very likely failed due to too much pressure.
The source of the compressor does matter when you're trying to save money. The old adage "you get what you pay for" really comes into play at the low end of the price range. It's very possible to go too cheap. You of all people here should understand this. Does GE use "discount" parts with lifetime warranties on their jet engines?

Quick Reply: airconditioner compressor click