Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans shift problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 04:35 PM
FixAcft
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans shift problems

I have a 94 F-150 XL 4X4 automatic transmission. 195,000. Still runs great. BUT. starting to have some shifting problems. Some days it still shifts great, some days it shifts hard,. I have changed the fluid and filter over the years, about every 60,000 miles. Where can I start looking, start trouble shooting.
Thanks for your time on this

Old 08-23-2009, 05:12 PM
AQUASKIN13
New User
check out the uv joints,i just changed mine and truck is shifting alot better...

Old 08-23-2009, 05:40 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
some days it shifts hard

By shifts hard what exactly do you mean? "harsh" or holds to long then suddenly "slams" into the next gear?

At 195k you're probably at or very near the end of a E4OD's useful life? I don't recall to many making it that long or passed that kinda mileage with one. Some have I'm sure but I bet the numbers that have are fairly low?

Anyway it could be a valve body issue, dirty valve or valves sticking or weak spring or springs. Depends on what gears it occurs in to an extent, more likely to be the cause if only one, say first to second or second to third and so on.

It also could be the early signs of a PSOM failing, (Programmable speedometer odometer module). Computer is not sure how fast truck is moving at any given time, suddenly gets a "good" reading and then suddenly shifts. Doesn't throw a code for this one that I have seen.

One other possible cause is the VSS sensor at the rear axle but based on what you stated in your post I lean toward the PSOM as the culprit.

Could also be a number of other things, have you ran the self test to check for trouble codes? May have them even if the check engine light is not on.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:21 PM
FixAcft
New User
no check engine light, shifting could be best described as .... extended time ( 1or 2 seconds) longer than i think it would normally take, then hard change. Sometimes is shifts normal, quiet, smooth. BUT Next time i pull out, it could shift hard again. No pattern between hard or smooth, warm or cold.

Where should start?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Where should start?

I'd start by checking for trouble codes, it should or rather may help narrow down the problem. Best place to start at least.