Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Possible purchase of 08 Edge

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible purchase of 08 Edge

Hey Guys,
I'm thinking about picking up a used Edge (08 or early 09) for my wife and am wondering what to look for and whether or not these are good vehicles? Probably going to pick one up from a local dealer so it should come with the remaining factory warranty. Any info or advice that you can provide would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brandon

Old 07-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Primetime1
Senior User
Hey there - we love ours and would highly recommend it. I would, however suggest getting an Oasis report on it to see if it had the PTU issue. If so, RUN away from it as Ford and dealers appear unable to fix it. Mine has been repaired 3 times for it with 11k on it so far. Check out Fordedgeforums.com for more info. Most people really love the cars, but the PTU issue sucks if you get one with that problem.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with checking out the Oasis. Just to reinforce the above statement about the PTU issue, make sure you look under the front end of the car to visually inspect for a leak. It is possible that some owners may not know/care about the issue and have never had it repaired. My mother-in-law has an early model Edge with no apparent issues. Read as, it has never dripped and they are not the type to climb under their car for any reason. When my Taurus X first had the issue, there wasn't a single drip on the driveway. I noticed it for the first time when I changed the oil. Had I let someone else change the oil, they may have never noticed it. Just be aware of what you're getting into.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Thanks for the info guys but after talking to the dealer here and hearing what they are offering on the Edge's, I think I am going to go with a GM. Not sure what FORD is thinking but their deals and financing options are a joke compared to what GM is offering. I was planning on the Edge but I'm no fool and I know when I'm being screwed over.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:04 PM
StephonGarnett
New User
I highly recommend that one for you and your wife. First of all, it is a ford truck. Ford is known for creating durable trucks so there should be any problem with that vehicle. I think you will love it. Just inspect everything in it, if all the parts are still in tact and if they are working so that you will not encounter any problems.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:53 PM
radio flyer
Junior User
Just buy an Edge with FW drive, not AWD, and you will not have a problem.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Jonas1022
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dunno about buying GM. I do know that my niece has a GMC front drive CUV, I forget the name. It lives at the dealership, lots of warranty work. Not something she is going to repeat that's for sure. She or her husband wind up driving the old Jeep Grand Cherokee about two or three days a month to work as the GMC is at the dealership. Great warranty...100K?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just remember, GM went bankrupt for a good reason. They can't build a good car. sure they would like to blame the unions for everything, and the imports, etc. But the truth is, their cars do not measure up in quality. Got stopped in traffic the other day because a 2009 Cobalt had stalled at the light. Another friend bought a Cobalt SS a few years ago. He says it was worse than his '94 Saturn. Yet another friend has a 2005 Cobalt and it has been in the shop a couple times. GMs trucks are ok, but their cars just plain suck.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Thanks for the input guys, something to consider. I am still in the market here and am looking at a few different makes and models. Will let you know what I end up with.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:01 AM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 304 Likes on 279 Posts
I got for my wife an 08 Edge AWD back in December. About a week later we had our first snow since getting it, which was a storm that dumped 12-14" on us. The conditions were bad enough that the Sherriff's office closed the roads except for emergency travel.

I got home about 5 minutes before her so I had the snow pile at the end of the driveway busted through with the truck. When she pulled into the driveway and got out, she was smiling from ear to ear so of course I asked her what was up. All that she said was that she loved her Edge because there was no slipping at all on the roads and the roads had at least 6" of snow on them that had also drifted. That made me feel real good that she was enjoying driving in the winter.

So I would say pull the trigger and enjoy it. BTW, ours had 7100 miles on it and now has about 11k on it and no issues what so ever.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Ford Fan
5th Wheeling
We traded our Expedition ( extremely well used) in on an 2008 Edge, FWD. It's a good automobile so far, 14k miles, 23/24 mpg. We don't have the snow to deal with,but in rain it does very well. She has brought it home muddy on occasion, so she has no complaints. Rides good, decent mileage, and not a GM. Looking for another 10 years before replacing.
Popsx3

Old 07-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Headviking
Posting Guru

Highly recommend the backup assist.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Primetime1
Senior User
Originally Posted by tiny1
I got for my wife an 08 Edge AWD back in December. About a week later we had our first snow since getting it, which was a storm that dumped 12-14" on us. The conditions were bad enough that the Sherriff's office closed the roads except for emergency travel.

I got home about 5 minutes before her so I had the snow pile at the end of the driveway busted through with the truck. When she pulled into the driveway and got out, she was smiling from ear to ear so of course I asked her what was up. All that she said was that she loved her Edge because there was no slipping at all on the roads and the roads had at least 6" of snow on them that had also drifted. That made me feel real good that she was enjoying driving in the winter.

So I would say pull the trigger and enjoy it. BTW, ours had 7100 miles on it and now has about 11k on it and no issues what so ever.

Yeah, the AWD system on the Edge's is pretty awesome in the snow. I sometimes think it is better than having my truck in 4wd - I know that doesn't make much sense, but it just seems like the car goes through deeper snow better than the truck.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:00 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 304 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Primetime1
Yeah, the AWD system on the Edge's is pretty awesome in the snow. I sometimes think it is better than having my truck in 4wd - I know that doesn't make much sense, but it just seems like the car goes through deeper snow better than the truck.
What is weird is that I know what oyu are refering to. I love taking it out on the roads when there is slush on them and it just barrels through it like nothing. Some vehicles will get pulled from one side to anoter doing this but the Edge does not move at all from side to side.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
CdnSoldier
Senior User
Originally Posted by tiny1

12" and closing the road? Damn we get that all the time here in the great white north. haha sorry. My wife is looking to buy a new vehicle, and that Edge is number one here. We took a ride in a Escape and they suck. The Edge is just as good as her Explorer. Wish it came with a 5 or 4.6 lt. Damn that be even better. So whats with the PTU? I spoke to the dealer and he said the new 2010s have that fixed. I myself dont like the audio. if the thing brakes, you won't be able to fit a after market one.

Quick Reply: Possible purchase of 08 Edge