2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairing non working rear window on Lariat easy way

Old 07-10-2009, 08:20 PM
krane operator
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Repairing non working rear slider window on Lariat easy way

I came to the conclusion that the rear window stops working when i wash the truck or go through drive thru car wash, due to the soaps and wax in the water that trickle their way into the cable.(my theory anyway) Some how it causes a glue like substance and causes the motor to stick(the cable that is wound up inside motor that moves window).Long ago I removed the seat and gave the motor a good tap with a hammer and it started to work. I even went as far as removing the motor and shooting alot of lubricant inside, but still sticks after a couple of months when i dont open and close it often after washes. So this is what i did today and it workd for me. May work for you. Please be careful and this only works in Lariat with fold down armrest. To check if this indeed is your problem your interior lights should dim when hitting the switch to open. This means you have power to motor and its stuck.
Name:  rearwindowfix033.jpg
Views: 13127
Size:  20.5 KB[/IMG]
Locate center of height and width
[IMG][/IMG]
With fingers press really hard and locate a "bump" . It wil be in center twords the bottom. It will be the only bump. This is the center of the motor.
[IMG][/IMG]
Right here is bump(center of motor)where sdriver is pointing
[IMG][/IMG]
Use a hammer to hit the bump dead center, not to hard ,a good whack(not resposible if u brake something. May have to play with it.Motor case is metal and braket it bolts to is metal. At the same time............
[IMG][/IMG]
Have someone toggle the swith to open as you hit the motor.
Window should open.
[IMG][/IMG].
Lube all the cables on both sides of window with lubricant to help the cable. Hope this helps someone. It will also help to open close the window after a carwash so it dont stick. Even a couple of hours later. Remember also to lube cables often.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Jonas1022
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me get this straight. You want me to wack a glass window, at least indirectly with a sledge hammer...

Old 07-10-2009, 09:04 PM
krane operator
Tuned
its a little sledgie hammer that i used and you are hitting far away from glass. The motor sits on bracket that hangs and will ABSORB the hit , the motor part does not touch the rear wall. DONT HIT IT WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT. Tap hit it. IF you were to remove the rear seat and open and close the window, you will notice that the braket will flex back and forth. The Motor hangs in mid air.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Jonas1022
Elder User
It was all too obvious of a remark and I was just wanting to pull your chain.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
nice idea

btw, the my old FX4 had that setup as well...so your fix will work on them as well

not sure if the cloth seats have that arm-rest, if they do, then your fix is applicable to all of the F-150 Supercrews regardless of trim

Old 07-13-2009, 10:12 PM
pb34
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tylus
nice idea

btw, the my old FX4 had that setup as well...so your fix will work on them as well

not sure if the cloth seats have that arm-rest, if they do, then your fix is applicable to all of the F-150 Supercrews regardless of trim
Unfortunately the cloth seats do not have the arm rests so it is only applicable to leather.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
that is a shame...but to be honest, I had my truck for 2 yrs before I even noticed I had a rear passenger armrest

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-23-2009, 08:38 PM
XL1200LTD-Keith
Senior User
I have 85,000 miles on my truck, and my slider stopped working shortly after the warranty expired. I have to say that this is such a simply fix. I had concerns about cutting the fabric, so I used the rubber end of "The Club". I gave it a gentle bump and was surprised to see it work.

Thanks for the tip Krane Operator.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:38 PM
red403
Junior User
Originally Posted by pb34
Unfortunately the cloth seats do not have the arm rests so it is only applicable to leather.
The rear leather seet in my truck doesn't have a arm rest either.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
this is a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally cool trick, and will keep it in mind but mine's not stuck yet. Have never lubed anything, so where exactly does one put the lube, and do you have to dis-assemble anything first? & what kind of lube? WD40 ok?

Old 07-24-2009, 05:51 PM
krane operator
Tuned
Glad it worked for you xl1200. It realy does not take much ,just some light continous tapping while pushing the open switch. Big Red Lariat , I would shoot some silicone lube on the window track itself which is plastic and wd on the cables. They are located on each side of the slider on bottom part.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:42 AM
red403
Junior User
wd40 is a good cleaner but I don't care for it to lube up anything. Would silicone spray not be a good to use on the cables if you don't want to go to a motorcycle shop for cable lube?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:56 PM
bullredguy
Junior User
so your saying the window leaks what happens to the rest of the water that happens to leak inside the truck

Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 AM
krane operator
Tuned
I never said it leaked, as there are no water stains on seat or carpet. i said my theory is that it TRCKLES ( couple of drops , not water pouring in)through the bottom part of the slider during a car wash.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:50 AM
BatteriesNotINCL
Senior User

Lightbulb I think I know why...

I have a good idea how moisture is getting back there...I did all the custom work and posted a vid on how to remove your back seat. In the back there are 'pressure relief' vents in the back. They aren't the heaviest plastic vents so they open with a simple door closing.

It could be quite possible that they are allowing some type of condensation into the rear of your seats and since there is a 'back drop' behind the seat you would never see it unless you removed it like me to install an amp...it now makes sense why there was some buildup on the amp terminals....

Check out my vid and pause it at 1:37, you will see a small black shadow just to the right of the amp..there is your 'window of oportunity.'
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KeUcR0faIMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hope this helps!, And I'm Going to try it out and see if tappin' it will get it goin again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Repairing non working rear window on Lariat easy way