Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonneau Covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 03:37 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonneau Covers

Ok one thing I am thinking about getting is a tonneau cover for the new rig. My last truck had a cap which I really like but always a pain to take off whenever I was hauling anything big. Still would like the ability to throw stuff in the back and keep it dry though so thinking about a tonneau. Do they make andy that you can still access a tool box? Thinking about the low profile tool box the mounts along the outside bed rail near the corner but undeicded as of yet. Or maybe I should just leave it open and get another tool box for the other side to throw gear in to keep out of the elements.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Robs06SuperDuty
Elder User
I have an Extang Black Max Tonneau cover on my 06, I gained almost 1.5 mpg out of using it. I think it was around $170-180 (back in 2006) Extang's come with a 10 year warranty. And you can adjust the tension on the cover for Hot and Cold weather

Old 07-10-2009, 08:17 AM
pbr man
Elder User
I have a Truxedo Lo Pro. It is very easy to use and works well at keeping the contents of the bed dry. It also has a lifetime warranty, even on the fabric, which I think is a good deal.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:13 AM
sandman3510
Senior User
Originally Posted by pbr man
I have a Truxedo Lo Pro. It is very easy to use and works well at keeping the contents of the bed dry. It also has a lifetime warranty, even on the fabric, which I think is a good deal.

X2 on the Truxedo Lo Pro. Love mine.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
If you are looking for a fiberglass cover keep an eye on craigslist. I bought a ARE fiberglass cover for $250, the guy gave me the original reciept and he paid over $1100 for it. Just keep a eye out you never know what you will find.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:38 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Had a Leer fiberglass tonneau on my old F-150 for 7 years and have a ******* fiberglass tonneau on my F-250 (for 2 years now). Both have been great. I would lean towards the Leer for my personal preference (fitment and flowed with the lines of the truck better). My only complaint on the ******* is the mounting. My Leer had a rail clamped to my bed making it fully adjustable, whereas the ******* is mounted directly to my bed. I hear that ******* has since gone to a bracket system that clamps to the bed as well.

One thing I learned with both: if you are going to get one painted to match your truck, make sure that the prep work is done right! My first one was sent from Leer already primed and was painted without cleaning/re-priming. The paint faded and started to flake off in less than two years. The second one looks like the same thing (I bought the truck with the ******* already on it).

Old 07-10-2009, 09:42 AM
T8R
Laughing Gas
been looking at the roll away hard covers - The Roll-n-lock looks the most secure with a cool looking cargo divider but the unanimous opinion seems to be in favor of the Retrax for longevity and ease of use. I'd love to find a deal or group buy on a Retrax.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:16 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I currently have an axxess cover on one of mine that was on the truck when I bought it. It's a decent cover and rolls up easily, but the velcro and getting it tight is kindof a pain, and I fear the velcro wearing out with repeated use. Maybe not a concern if you dont haul much... For what I use my trucks for, I probably would not spend the money on one if it hadn't already been on the truck. I also had a 2000 F350 that I had a really expensive retractable Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit cover. It was a neat cover, but I bought it to keep the bed contents dry and secure (satellite equipment at the time). It wasn't good at either, and I regretted it as I should have set my dislike for toppers aside and put one on that truck. The Pace Edwards cover was neither water tight nor secure, it could easily be opened with a screwdriver on either side, and the aluminum "lock rail" was very flimsy and made the bed very easy to break into. If you're looking for security, go with a solid hard tonneau or a topper. If it's just for looks and mileage, a soft roll-up tonneau would work fine. I'm pretty sure Axxess also makes a toolbox tonneau that's shorter and works with a toolbox. I personally prefer a toolbox with no tonneau, and I have a tracrac on my F350 that allows me to slide the toolbox right out the back of the truck when I'm hauling something big. The tracbox is the best of both worlds, secure, watertight, and easily removable. It just doesn't give you as much dry and secure space as a hard tonneau or topper. For me, this isn't a big compromise, as whatever doesn't fit in the toolbox goes in the back seat. All depends on what you need I guess...

Old 07-10-2009, 01:20 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have an Undercover on my 04' and really like it. You can remove it in about 30 seconds with two people and it is light also. You need no tools to remove it either. You can stand on top of it also and its half the cost of a fiberglass tonneau to boot. http://www.undercoverinfo.com/ Undercover makes a model to work with a truck toolbox also.(Long beds) http://boxbuddy.undercoverinfo.net/models.html

Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks guys for all the ideas. I do like the idea of the hard top tonneau, to be honest I didnt think the soft top ones were all that common anyone. Unless the modern materials are much better... seems like all I ever heard about them was they shrunk in the winter and were to stretchy in the summer. I like the idea of being able to put something taller though without removing the whole thing. But the main requirement is it seals good, no sense of putting one on there to me if it isnt going to keep gear dry underneath (well maybe for mpg to but most say it doesnt help much for mpg anyhow).

dkf - I asked a fellow at work about his cover and he said its an undercover so I might go take a closer look at it. I dont mind it being plastic versus fiberglass especially since its cheaper.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:17 PM
blue06
Junior User
I second the motion on the Undercover. Had it since February on mine 250 SD and love it. It has a LED light so when you open it in the dark you can push the button and find what you are looking for. Also bought the Undercover inside the bed swing out tool boxes that fit between the inner fender and the tailgate. You can lift them out if need be.

After I bought both the tool boxes and the bed cover I contacted Undercover and told them I wanted one key to work both bed cover and tool boxes and they sent me new locks and keys for the tool boxes to match the bed cover. Cost me $20 but very convenient.

Checkout their website listed in the previous post.

See next reply for more photos

Attached Images    
Old 07-11-2009, 02:41 PM
blue06
Junior User
More photos of bed cover light and tool boxes

Attached Images    
Old 07-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
How much where the bed boxes. I saw them in a mag the other day and was wondering how much they are?

Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 PM
blue06
Junior User
The are not cheap at $195.00 each. See the web site on how they operate. click on Swing Out tool boxes to see more info. http://www.undercoverfactoryoutlet.c...FR9N5Qod5nfdLg

Tonneau top web site http://www.undercoverinfo.com/

Old 07-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
I'm personally rocking the Access Roll Up Tonneau. I have one on my Ranger too, and I liked it so I got one for my SD. It has a tension setting, as well as velcro side sealers.

Quick Reply: Tonneau Covers