Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.SPONSORED BY:
Click Here

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2009, 03:37 AM
Posting Guru

78bigbronco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tonneau Covers

Ok one thing I am thinking about getting is a tonneau cover for the new rig. My last truck had a cap which I really like but always a pain to take off whenever I was hauling anything big. Still would like the ability to throw stuff in the back and keep it dry though so thinking about a tonneau. Do they make andy that you can still access a tool box? Thinking about the low profile tool box the mounts along the outside bed rail near the corner but undeicded as of yet. Or maybe I should just leave it open and get another tool box for the other side to throw gear in to keep out of the elements.

09 F-350 V10 4x4 6spd CC/8' ordered 5/26/09 delivered 7/6/09
99 F-150 V6 4x4 5spd RegCab/Short bed
78 Big Bronco 4x4 (a work in progress)
Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Elder User

Robs06SuperDuty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Robs06SuperDuty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
@stemandbeans
I have an Extang Black Max Tonneau cover on my 06, I gained almost 1.5 mpg out of using it. I think it was around $170-180 (back in 2006) Extang's come with a 10 year warranty. And you can adjust the tension on the cover for Hot and Cold weather
06 F250 XLT 5.4L SCLB 4x4, "Hybrid", F350 Block Swap, Firestone Air Bags, Skyjacker 2.5" Coils, 295/70R18 Trail Grapplers, 08 Rear Diff Cover, 08 Tailgate, RC Dual Stabilizer, K&N CAI, Banks Monster Exhaust, SCT X3 with Custom Tunes from 5 Star, Cobra 29 with Wilson 1000 whip
Old 07-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Elder User

pbr man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a Truxedo Lo Pro. It is very easy to use and works well at keeping the contents of the bed dry. It also has a lifetime warranty, even on the fabric, which I think is a good deal.
Eric 1999 F350 4x4 Super Duty, Crew Cab Long Bed,7.3 Diesel, 6 speed, 4'' Diamond Eye exhaust, 4040 Aeroturbine, Dipricol Optix-boost and pyrometer, AIH delete, Hutch and harpoon, Tuff Country Add a Leaf

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner-liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Senior User

sandman3510 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr man View Post
I have a Truxedo Lo Pro. It is very easy to use and works well at keeping the contents of the bed dry. It also has a lifetime warranty, even on the fabric, which I think is a good deal.

X2 on the Truxedo Lo Pro. Love mine.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Postmaster

Firefighter 1406 has a good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a good reputation on FTE.
If you are looking for a fiberglass cover keep an eye on craigslist. I bought a ARE fiberglass cover for $250, the guy gave me the original reciept and he paid over $1100 for it. Just keep a eye out you never know what you will find.
Seth "WE WILL NEVER FORGET" 343 PAA#129
Not so Early 99 F-250 Super Cab 4X4 w/7.3 stroker w/ 260,000, 6637 filter, 4" MBRP turbo back, coolant filter, zoodad, Hx, AutoMeter Guages, AIC, Leveling kit, Warn Premiums, 285 Duratrac's, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000 XL's, Strobes,
www.roadsidehelpnetwork.org/
Old 07-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Postmaster

brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.
Had a Leer fiberglass tonneau on my old F-150 for 7 years and have a Gaylord fiberglass tonneau on my F-250 (for 2 years now). Both have been great. I would lean towards the Leer for my personal preference (fitment and flowed with the lines of the truck better). My only complaint on the Gaylord is the mounting. My Leer had a rail clamped to my bed making it fully adjustable, whereas the Gaylord is mounted directly to my bed. I hear that Gaylord has since gone to a bracket system that clamps to the bed as well.

One thing I learned with both: if you are going to get one painted to match your truck, make sure that the prep work is done right! My first one was sent from Leer already primed and was painted without cleaning/re-priming. The paint faded and started to flake off in less than two years. The second one looks like the same thing (I bought the truck with the Gaylord already on it).
Old 07-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Elder User

T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.
been looking at the roll away hard covers - The Roll-n-lock looks the most secure with a cool looking cargo divider but the unanimous opinion seems to be in favor of the Retrax for longevity and ease of use. I'd love to find a deal or group buy on a Retrax.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Elder User

wizardsr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wizardsr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I currently have an axxess cover on one of mine that was on the truck when I bought it. It's a decent cover and rolls up easily, but the velcro and getting it tight is kindof a pain, and I fear the velcro wearing out with repeated use. Maybe not a concern if you dont haul much... For what I use my trucks for, I probably would not spend the money on one if it hadn't already been on the truck. I also had a 2000 F350 that I had a really expensive retractable Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit cover. It was a neat cover, but I bought it to keep the bed contents dry and secure (satellite equipment at the time). It wasn't good at either, and I regretted it as I should have set my dislike for toppers aside and put one on that truck. The Pace Edwards cover was neither water tight nor secure, it could easily be opened with a screwdriver on either side, and the aluminum "lock rail" was very flimsy and made the bed very easy to break into. If you're looking for security, go with a solid hard tonneau or a topper. If it's just for looks and mileage, a soft roll-up tonneau would work fine. I'm pretty sure Axxess also makes a toolbox tonneau that's shorter and works with a toolbox. I personally prefer a toolbox with no tonneau, and I have a tracrac on my F350 that allows me to slide the toolbox right out the back of the truck when I'm hauling something big. The tracbox is the best of both worlds, secure, watertight, and easily removable. It just doesn't give you as much dry and secure space as a hard tonneau or topper. For me, this isn't a big compromise, as whatever doesn't fit in the toolbox goes in the back seat. All depends on what you need I guess...

05 F350 pickup V10, 03 F350 flatbed V10, 03 F550 V10, 01 F250 5.4, 97 F150 4.6, 2011 Subaru Outback
Old 07-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
I have an Undercover on my 04' and really like it. You can remove it in about 30 seconds with two people and it is light also. You need no tools to remove it either. You can stand on top of it also and its half the cost of a fiberglass tonneau to boot. http://www.undercoverinfo.com/ Undercover makes a model to work with a truck toolbox also.(Long beds) http://boxbuddy.undercoverinfo.net/models.html
Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Posting Guru

78bigbronco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks guys for all the ideas. I do like the idea of the hard top tonneau, to be honest I didnt think the soft top ones were all that common anyone. Unless the modern materials are much better... seems like all I ever heard about them was they shrunk in the winter and were to stretchy in the summer. I like the idea of being able to put something taller though without removing the whole thing. But the main requirement is it seals good, no sense of putting one on there to me if it isnt going to keep gear dry underneath (well maybe for mpg to but most say it doesnt help much for mpg anyhow).

dkf - I asked a fellow at work about his cover and he said its an undercover so I might go take a closer look at it. I dont mind it being plastic versus fiberglass especially since its cheaper.

09 F-350 V10 4x4 6spd CC/8' ordered 5/26/09 delivered 7/6/09
99 F-150 V6 4x4 5spd RegCab/Short bed
78 Big Bronco 4x4 (a work in progress)
Old 07-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Junior User

blue06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I second the motion on the Undercover. Had it since February on mine 250 SD and love it. It has a LED light so when you open it in the dark you can push the button and find what you are looking for. Also bought the Undercover inside the bed swing out tool boxes that fit between the inner fender and the tailgate. You can lift them out if need be.

After I bought both the tool boxes and the bed cover I contacted Undercover and told them I wanted one key to work both bed cover and tool boxes and they sent me new locks and keys for the tool boxes to match the bed cover. Cost me $20 but very convenient.

Checkout their website listed in the previous post.

See next reply for more photos
Attached Images

Chuck Nixon
2006 F 250 4X4 6.0 PSD
Old 07-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Junior User

More photos of bed cover light and tool boxes
Attached Images

Chuck Nixon
2006 F 250 4X4 6.0 PSD
Old 07-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Postmaster

Firefighter 1406 has a good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a good reputation on FTE.
How much where the bed boxes. I saw them in a mag the other day and was wondering how much they are?
Seth "WE WILL NEVER FORGET" 343 PAA#129
Not so Early 99 F-250 Super Cab 4X4 w/7.3 stroker w/ 260,000, 6637 filter, 4" MBRP turbo back, coolant filter, zoodad, Hx, AutoMeter Guages, AIC, Leveling kit, Warn Premiums, 285 Duratrac's, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000 XL's, Strobes,
www.roadsidehelpnetwork.org/
Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Junior User

The are not cheap at $195.00 each. See the web site on how they operate. click on Swing Out tool boxes to see more info. http://www.undercoverfactoryoutlet.c...FR9N5Qod5nfdLg

Tonneau top web site http://www.undercoverinfo.com/

Chuck Nixon
2006 F 250 4X4 6.0 PSD
Old 07-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Posting Guru

Pinky Demon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm personally rocking the Access Roll Up Tonneau. I have one on my Ranger too, and I liked it so I got one for my SD. It has a tension setting, as well as velcro side sealers.

Click HERE for my full review w/ pictures of the Banks Powerpack Exhaust System.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:51 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners

Tags
access, bed, cover, covers, craigslist, explorer, f150, ford, fort, retractable, review, roll, tonneau, tracbox, worth