1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Rant regarding aftermarket and OEM products

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:29 PM
86f1504x4Extended
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rant regarding aftermarket and OEM products

I've been restoring my 86 F150 and have purchased a lot of items for her. For those of you that have bought items recently, have ya'll seen the quality drop over the last couple of years. Man, it seems like I have to purchase at least 2 or more of each item. I've purchased items from LMC, NPD, Jegs, Summit Racing, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, Auto Carpet, Rock Auto, Performance Distributors, and even Ford Motor Co, just to name a few. Each one of the above listed companies I've had to return at least one item for poor quality and this is all within the last 18 months! What is it with the quality control of these companies? She's even getting repainted again due to bad prep work when I had her painted last September and I'm about to throw in my 3rd AC compressor. Does anybody care about what they are selling or servicing?!?

Damn, that feels good to get that off my chest.

Any comments?

Preston

Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Jmeyer1990
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 86f1504x4Extended
I've been restoring my 86 F150 and have purchased a lot of items for her. For those of you that have bought items recently, have ya'll seen the quality drop over the last couple of years. Man, it seems like I have to purchase at least 2 or more of each item. I've purchased items from LMC, NPD, Jegs, Summit Racing, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, Auto Carpet, Rock Auto, Performance Distributors, and even Ford Motor Co, just to name a few. Each one of the above listed companies I've had to return at least one item for poor quality and this is all within the last 18 months! What is it with the quality control of these companies? She's even getting repainted again due to bad prep work when I had her painted last September and I'm about to throw in my 3rd AC compressor. Does anybody care about what they are selling or servicing?!?

Any comments?

Preston
I know it's not really the same thing, but at JCP they have major quality control problems.
With one sheet set in particular, Chris Madden 500tc.
Everyone who buys a set, has to come back to get a new set, or a whole different set. The seams and thread itself always fail on the fitted sheet, causing the whole thing to fall apart.

Most of the people who do QC at JCP factories and shipping centers are of Illegal status who don't give a crap (not an opinion, but a fact)

So it's not just with our trucks that we notice this, but with all the things we buy on a daily basis.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:37 PM
mds47588
Senior User
Not that it helps any...but assumed you had seen my thread I had started...???

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-pictures.html

Old 07-09-2009, 09:39 PM
86bigred
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
made in China.Chinese quality control.then they ship to America,and somebody puts made in the USA sticker on it.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:21 PM
uncle.stosh
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's why I spend so much time in the junk yards.

There is no substitute for OEM parts and I refuse to put aftermarket junk on my truck.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:42 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stosh is correct, buying salvage is not being cheap, but buying quality. Alot of these parts in the yards are still original paint. This makes it much easier to see what you are buying.

My friend wrecked my unwrecked 79 truck and I originally ordered aftermarket parts for 500 dollars. I was very unhappy with the quality and the fit. I sent it all back and found original replacement rot free for around 150 dollars. I am much happier.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:02 AM
86f1504x4Extended
Freshman User
Ya'll have all validated my point. I have no problem paying for quality parts, finding them is a different story.

Originally Posted by uncle.stosh

There is no substitute for OEM parts and I refuse to put aftermarket junk on my truck.
You mean to tell me you put salvage yard brake rotors and pads, light bulbs, sensors, distributor parts, fuel injectors, exhaust, etc. We all have to purchase parts that are meant to fail. I'm tired of the crap that is being pushed down our throats as 'quality' parts.

Preston

Old 07-10-2009, 08:41 AM
uncle.stosh
Postmaster
Ya'll have all validated my point. I have no problem paying for quality parts, finding them is a different story.

You mean to tell me you put salvage yard brake rotors and pads, light bulbs, sensors, distributor parts, fuel injectors, exhaust, etc. We all have to purchase parts that are meant to fail. I'm tired of the crap that is being pushed down our throats as 'quality' parts.

Preston
Yes, and I do every day.

I just found a like new factory Y pipe with BOTH convertors for a 92-96 F150 with a 300 six for my 84 EFI manifold conversion for $13.00

I routinely pull used light bulbs, injectors, sensors, etc and use them in my own truck. Have you seen what they charge for a couple of light bulbs lately? I just pulled all of the 194's out of a Dodge minivan and put them in my 84 cluster. The twist lock sockets were exactly the same as mine.

My dash has NEVER lit up so bright and I got them for free.

I just picked up a 93 Chevy for my father and it had an idle problem when cold. I pulled a used temp sensor, TPS, EGR solenoid, Manifold Vac Sensor and some other stuff in an effort to isolate the problem. I paid a total of $10 for everything and once installed, the truck purrs like a kitten. I don't have a scanner and had no other way of troubleshooting the problem except to replace one part at a time until it went away.

It turned out to be a bad TPS.

IF a used part is bad, it's no big deal. I have next to nothing invested in it and I"ll just go grab another one.

Same thing with rotors. What's wrong with grabbing a perfectly good (thick) set of rotors and taking a light cut on them? I have and will do it again as opposed to buying Chinese junk.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I could not have said it better myself.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:18 PM
86f1504x4Extended
Freshman User
Fantastic Uncle Stosh, I commend you on having the time to find those items. I just don't have the time nor resources.

Preston

Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I always buy Motorcraft Parts whenever possible. When they are not obsolete.

If it's obsolete I will go junkyard hopping, or buy from aftermarket dealers that are licensed by Ford.

If you have no other choice, you can get OEM quality aftermarket parts still, IF you know where to get them. Definately not over the counter. You will have to Special Order 99% of the time, and demand it from the clerks really.

Examples of some aftermarket parts on my truck that are close to, if not OEM Quality: In my opinion.

Borg/Warner Nascar series, Spark Plug Wires. (motorcraft obsolete)
Borg/Warner Nascar Series, Coil. (Motorcraft Obsolete)
Goodyear upper Radiator hose (Motorcraft Obsolete)
Borg/Warner EGR Valve (Motorcraft Obsolete)
Bosch O2 Sensor (Original Equipment Manufacturer)

Etc...

Spark Plugs, Battery, Belts, Fuel Filter, Oil Filter, Cap, Rotor, etc... all motorcraft. Even the engine oil.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie

Any comments?

Preston
I am on my 6th steering gear and 4th set of points and condenser.
I know just how you feel.