Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank Issue/Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 AM
ottawaguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel tank Issue/Dilema

Here's the scoop.
I started to change my front fuel tank & ran into a problem with the fuel line connection at the tank.
One came off no problem but the other will not. I have spent over 4 hours trying to remove that damn connection. I have the plastic slip on tool which has worked every other time. I can see inside the fitting and can see nothing amiss. It looks like all the fingers are in good shape and the connection appears to be free of dirt.....yet I cannot get the connection apart. I will also mention that I cannot get the tool fully inserted into the fitting. It comes very close but is not flush with the end of the bell. I did not initially relieve fuel pressure before removing the first line, but have since checked the Schroeder valve for pressure thinking this was the issue, but there was no fuel there( so I'm ruling that out).
I am familiar with the design of these fittings and can see no reason for it not to disconnect. I cannot seem to get any in or out movement from the line either and am wondering if maybe the ring in behind is messed up or something.
So this is what I am considering doing.......
The tank is off and the only reason I need to remove the line is to get the locking ring over the pump.
I am thinking of cutting the locking ring to get it around the line and then install it on the tank and secure the cut section with JBWELD.
What I have is actually a JBweld equivelant but has never let me down. I am thinking that I should be able to tighten the locking ring down and if I apply a big slab of the weld around it, that would secure it permanently.
Has anyone ever had a situation like this or does anyone think this will be a bad idea?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:42 PM
ottawaguy
Elder User
Update:
Before cutting anything, I thought I would try to fashion a metal tool that would fit into the quick connect. Cut a piece of aluminum and planed it to the thickest that would fit into the fitting and tried that. It had to be lightly tapped in as it was not perfectly round, but it went in and the line separated on the first try..
Now...onto the new tank.
All's well that ends well

Old 07-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good man. Rep points sent.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:49 PM
ottawaguy
Elder User
Lazy K.....Thanks brother!
I was at my wits end. I could see no visible reason for the connection not coming apart.

Now I have a little to add.
I went and looked at a spare pump I have a realized the two fuel line connections are of a different size.

I think this was causing the problem with my tool. It wrapped around the shaft but not fully on the larger shaft, so likely was not compressing all the little fingers.
Here is a shot of the tools I had used. The little round piece of metal is the fabricated tool I made which worked like a charm. Once around the shaft, it is get crimped slightly to make it round. I will add that the next size up in the plastic set was too big.

I hope this will save someone the hours of grief I went through trying to remove the fitting.