Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker fitment

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Speaker fitment

Ok, on my 96 F350 CC/4x the factory speakers are SHOT, what size are they, can I just buy 6x9's for the front and rear, or are they some special size? I don't need anything for major crankin, just some decent speakers that will last...

Thanks

Joe

Old 07-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
the search feature does work sometimes https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-speakers.html

Old 07-07-2009, 11:33 AM
ottawaguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a set of pioneers for my supercab at Wally World. This particular line listed all the vehicles it will fit on every box. They are an upgrade of the factory and sound decent. I think they were in the 200 watt range....and about 50 a pair if I remember correctly.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
the search feature does work sometimes https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-speakers.html
Yes it DOES,,Thanks,,, HOWEVER, are they 5x7 in the rear or 6x8?!

Haven't had a chance to take the door panels off, and I am heading to Fresno around 1400 today, so I was wondering which one they are!

Thanks

Old 07-07-2009, 03:29 PM
alxsnmr
Fleet Mechanic
According to crutchfield.com your front door speakers are 6 3/4" sized, and Behind the seat you can fit 6"x8".

Does this make since, as I have never been in a crewcab but I thought all the speakers were in the doors.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
the fronts are 6-1/2" rounds(doors) and the rears are 6x8" (Behind seat in corner)in the crewcab.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:00 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
99% of the time, when it says 5x7 or 6x8 they interchange.. Most of the speakers in this size range have multiple mount holes in the edge of the basket..

Old 07-07-2009, 05:01 PM
ottawaguy
Elder User
Just check the product label well.
As I indicated earlier....the set I bought had my year/make/model listed, but in fine print it stated that speakers may rub in the supercab. In my situation, the speakers did touch the outer metal, but I installed them anyway and I have not had an issue in the year and a half that they have been in my truck.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Neptoess
Senior User
be careful when buying speakers though. They usually list peak wattage and you cant go by that. you need to look at the rms wattage to be sure you wont blow them. but if you're just running a factory stereo or a head unit with no outboard amp all you need is about 20W per speaker handling RMS. Kinda funny how they print things like 52Wx4 and 600W on head units and amps when thats peak and you're only getting a continuous 17Wx4 and 300W lol

Old 07-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Thanks Gents!!! When it comes to stereos/speakers, I am absolutely CLUELESS, I can't even remember the last set I bought,,, oh wait I can, I bought a display speaker for $10 that matched the one that was in the dash on my 77. Dumb question #2 are the speakers @ wally world worth a crap, or should I hit a car stereo store? and what is considered a good ballpark for decent speakers?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Neptoess
Senior User
walmart generally sells low end speakers. check crutchfield.com for some nice speakers with good reviews(remember you only need about 20W RMS) and then order them off ebay because they're alot cheaper there. If you order from crutchfield though they give you brackets to tie into the factory wiring, but i gutted all that and ran 14 gauge so i just ebayed the speakers. Soldering or crimp terminals just seems like a better option than paying more for factory clips imo tho. But to each their own

Old 07-08-2009, 10:21 AM
alxsnmr
Fleet Mechanic
I would think if you are only looking for factory replacement that the walmart brands would suffice.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 AM
ottawaguy
Elder User
Well....the ones I bought at Wal-Mart were Pioneer. If I remember correctly they were labeled as factory replacements or something to that effect. Nothing will ever come close to the bass thumping bliss I get from my 70's High Energy Design 200 watt cerwin-Vega's. Highway Star has never sounded so good(imo), but these are a good upgrade over the factory speakers in my opinion. My deck is the latest in the Sony Xplod series with mp3/ipod hook ups and they sound good together. I have yet to update the door speakers, but will likely go with the same speakers.
If you would like to go to a stereo shop and start dropping some serious coin....you can get much better I'm sure.
Here is a link to the Pioneer car audio speakers page. From there you can look at the different series. Wally world had a few to choose from as well. I just grabbed the ones that were on sale.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...6+x+8+Speakers

Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Neptoess
Senior User
yeah the pioneers i have do say something about being a direct factory fit for ford/mazda. if your walmart carries pioneer get them they're nice. They have a pretty surprising bass punch too. Well, that was until I added the 10, that's a built in back massage haha. My sony heads also the xplod, which i've heard nothing but bad things about, but when i bought it it was the top rated head on crutchfield and ive never run anything off of its built in amp. So ppl can say what they want about my xplod, i cant hear them. Hell I cant even hear emergency vehicles with my windows down until they're literally right beside, and if the windows are up i never heard them. I live in my own world of sound when i drive. I hope the locals like metallica cannibal corpse and dying fetus, bc they're hearing it whether they like it or not haha

Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 AM
BigSix1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Neptoess
yeah the pioneers i have do say something about being a direct factory fit for ford/mazda. if your walmart carries pioneer get them they're nice. They have a pretty surprising bass punch too. Well, that was until I added the 10, that's a built in back massage haha. My sony heads also the xplod, which i've heard nothing but bad things about, but when i bought it it was the top rated head on crutchfield and ive never run anything off of its built in amp. So ppl can say what they want about my xplod, i cant hear them. Hell I cant even hear emergency vehicles with my windows down until they're literally right beside, and if the windows are up i never heard them. I live in my own world of sound when i drive. I hope the locals like metallica cannibal corpse and dying fetus, bc they're hearing it whether they like it or not haha
Hmmm..."dying fetus"...?

I'm guessin' that's not "New Age"?

Quick Reply: Speaker fitment