1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

1988 EB - What mods are a must do...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 07:33 PM
wwwtbirdforumcom
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am getting a 98 EB - has 65k on it - what mods are a must do to save money on gas?

Old 01-02-2003, 05:22 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

First off, you're driving a very heavy truck - gas mileage is always going to be an issue. I found that my K&N FIPK increased the gas mileage of the truck a bit (approx. +40 miles/tank), as well as giving it a more open throttle response. A catback exhaust will help. Keep the tire pressures correct - expys are extrememly sensitive to PSI. I can tell right away if one is off. Other mods to consider: Addco or Hellwig sway bar - make it wobble less in corners. Transgo shift kit (make it shift with more authority).

And here's the biggest secret to getting better gas mileage in a Ford Expedition..........................don't stomp the gas. Seriously, drive a little more relaxed. For an experiment, fill it up, and drive aggressively - take off fast from stoplights, go 75+ MPH on the highway (Expy's get like 1 MPG when you hit about 73MPH ), all that. When you go to fill up again, take note of the mileage. This time around, just drive smoothly, don't bury the pedal, etc. Then check your tank mileage. You'll be suprised.

You've come to a good place to ask for help - these guys are great. Don't be a stranger!

XXL

Old 01-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Petrol
Elder User

Any money spent on mods in the name of better fuel economy is wasted money! (in my opinion) For example, a K&N FIPK will set you back about $150-$200, while you may experiance modest increases in both performance and fuel economy, you'll never save enough gas money to "pay for it"

This example only gets worse when you look at some of the other popular mods like CAT back exhaust systems, Headers, and Chips.

Buy you mods for performance increases, not mpg . . . well ok, you can tell the wife they are for mpg, but just make sure you know better!

The best way to get better mpg in an Expy is the same as with ANY other vehical. Keep it well maintained and in proper operating condition and drive it like mileage matters to you.

Old 01-07-2003, 07:04 AM
Acamar
Senior User