Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2009, 08:53 PM
New User

roaringford is starting off with a positive reputation.
black smoke coming from exhaust while accelerating

just recently black smoke started coming from my exhaust when i accelerate and it seems like my turbo is lagging more than it should be, this truck has already had a head gasket replaced, im not sure what is going on, has anyone had a problem like this and had it fixed?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Check for codes. It is hard to tell on such limited information. It could be sticking vanes on your turbo.

tell us more about your truck also .........
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 07-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Senior User

ptr34 is starting off with a positive reputation.
mine did that once it was the ebp sensor. but it would hardly move for a second

04 f350 cc 6.0 on 24's on 38" with 8" Procomp lift,
4"turboback, volant intake ,ccv mod and snow preformance meth, sct progammer with erics extreme race tune put down 392rwhp and 730rwtq(SAE).ran 8.78 in the 1/8th
Old 07-06-2009, 11:37 PM
New User

its a 2004 f350 6.0L, has had head gasket replaced, 145 000 km on it, all stock pretty much, recently the turbo pipe had popped off and had to replaced the upper gasket on the turbo pipe to the turbo, it always ran good until today, i just drove it and then sat for a couple hours and drove it again and this time when i started to drive it would barely move to start with, until something kicked in then it would finally move, like the turbo had no boost or something, once it finally moved it would still pump out some black smoke while i was accelerating, once its moving at highway speeds the black smoke quits
Old 07-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Until you check for codes, it will all be guesswork. Personally I would start by pulling the EGR valve and having a look. Be prepared to clean it.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Junior User

jlo84truck is starting off with a positive reputation.
it could be the vgt control valve going bad, it controls the vains in the turbo from open to close.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Senior User

jasontrucks76 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does a puff of smoke once and a while always indicate something is wrong? I understand he has a loss of power so something is going on but I have noticed a puff once and a while and thought nothing of it as there were no other problems that went along with it????
Not to hi-jack just a thought (or question rather)
New oil cooler
Updated STC fitting
4" 409 SS turbo back exhaust, EGT & Fuel gauges
Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 PM
New User

well i looked into it more and im pretty sure its the EGR valve being faulty...i dont have a loss of power besides the lower end, does anybody have any insight into time it takes for replacement, im not quite sure what im looking at here, and i want to make sure its done right...also does anyone know anything about EGR DELETE KITS? if it worth it i would rather do that than to deal with this headache again, any useful information would be greatly appreciated!

and about the big puff of smoke, im not sure what exactly whats going on, might have to explain it more, does it happen when your doing highway speeds, or around town?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Post Fiend

It shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours to pull the EGR valve, clean it, and replace it. The EGR system delete can take quite a bit longer for those who have not ever done it before.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 PM

Maxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE roaringford In the Tech folder located at the top of this forum you will find information with part numbers for new gaskets and how to clean your EGR valve.

Since you have an 04 model you can simply unplug the EGR valve with the truck turned off, the EGR valve will be in a closed position, and try driving it again to see if the problem persists. A faulty EGR valve will exhibit a coughing, bucking or stumbling on acceleration usually. Black smoke is from over fueling which indicates low boost, not enough air to fuel ratio to properly burn.

Cleaning the EGR valve is a good idea even if it has no symptoms.

2003 F-350 Reg Cab 6.0L
Old 07-08-2009, 11:01 PM
New User

do i need any special tools to do it?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:05 PM

Maxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaringford View Post
do i need any special tools to do it?
About a 6 pack and some bandaids....

2003 F-350 Reg Cab 6.0L
Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 PM
New User

haha i can do that! where do i find the tech folder?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Post Fiend

I unbolted it (two bolts), then rotated it 20-30 degrees while still in the intake manifold. I cut a 10 inch length of wire and slide the wire through a 4 inch section of fuel line (to use as a handle). I attached the wire to the two bolt holes of the EGR valve and then just pulled it out. It was hard to get out, but it eventually popped out.

After cleaning, when I re-installed it, I slightly lubricated the o-rings w/ a synthetic oil. It was easy to install.

Check out the Tech Folder instructions for details and pics.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Tech Folder Click Here
To save you time, how to clean your EGR valve Click Here
Part numbers for new O-rings Click Here

2003 F-350 Reg Cab 6.0L
Old 07-08-2009, 11:15 PM