2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burnout/ spinning tire.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:09 PM
bmvtr
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
burnout/ spinning tire.

I know i will get ridiculed for this but oh well i have a warranty. i tried to do a burn out in my supercab with 4.6l 3.55 gears and it just cant do it. is the gear and engine not the right combination or is there some traction control or limiter built into the computer on the newer trucks? Even when i was stuck in wet grass yesterday it seemed like the tires would stop spinning right away almost like brake without me pushing on the pedal. ( stupid hankook tires. any information would be appreciated.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
is it a 2wd??? because i think those do have traction control.....

Old 07-05-2009, 10:28 PM
bmvtr
Mountain Pass
yes it is a 2wd

Old 07-06-2009, 03:13 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
put the shifter into 1st gear

I don't know why, but in Fords, more power gets output when you manually select a gear in the automatics. Think it has something to do with Line Pressures.

My old Mustang GT could barely screech a tire in Drive...put her into 1st gear though and that bad puppy would roast the tires off the line.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
My 2004 is just the opposite, i shift into a lower gear ( i.e 1st gear) and my take-offs are slower than leaving it in drive. some sort of protection for the drive train from what I have read somewhere.. Now, maybe with a tuner that function is disabled, but I'm poor, and don't have the tuner.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

For the F-Series, dropping an automatic to a selection lower than (D)rive will automatically lower your available power. This is partially done so that you can downshift for tough take-offs with a full load or heavy trailer. It is also done to provide better throttle control while driving in places with limited traction and/or rough terrain. (I am sure there are other reasons.)

Old 07-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by Fishin76
My 2004 is just the opposite, i shift into a lower gear ( i.e 1st gear) and my take-offs are slower than leaving it in drive. some sort of protection for the drive train from what I have read somewhere.. Now, maybe with a tuner that function is disabled, but I'm poor, and don't have the tuner.
Originally Posted by Deluxe05
For the F-Series, dropping an automatic to a selection lower than (D)rive will automatically lower your available power. This is partially done so that you can downshift for tough take-offs with a full load or heavy trailer. It is also done to provide better throttle control while driving in places with limited traction and/or rough terrain. (I am sure there are other reasons.)
exactly...sorta

You still have the exact same HP/TQ ratings.

What Ford did was reset the Throttle Curve when you select 1st and 2nd gears. They only offer you 1/2 the normal throttle.

The 1/2 you have left is then spread out over the entire movement of the skinny pedal.

This gives you a really fine tuned throttle control for low speed applications such as towing, boat ramps, slippery areas...etc.

My Expy does the same thing. It is a really wierd feeling when I accidently put it into 3rd gear.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 04 stock could do a brake torque with out a problem in drive. Now with the tuner its even better. I dont have have a problem where I have to put it in a lower gear.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:30 PM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
i did something like this earlier with my 09. this one road i go down has a few road humps in it. well if i roll over them slow and then nail it, the tranny shifts to first and kinda barks the tires and takes off. but if i manually drop it first and roll over them then take off, it lights them up and walks the truck around a little.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my 05 with generals and my 07 with bfg rugged trails could light them up all day long....

however now that i have my michelins on the truck...i can't do burnouts....damn sticky tires

Old 07-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by tylus
exactly...sorta

You still have the exact same HP/TQ ratings.

What Ford did was reset the Throttle Curve when you select 1st and 2nd gears. They only offer you 1/2 the normal throttle.

The 1/2 you have left is then spread out over the entire movement of the skinny pedal
We said the same thing, but in different words.

But, to be brutally honest, you will not have the same horsepower & torque curves. It takes fuel to create that power, and limiting the flow of fuel to the cylinders can drastically change your horsepower & torque curves. Granted, the overall engine design, electronics, and what-not still carry the potential to create the same power, but the fact remains that the performance will be drastically limited by placing the transmission in 1st & 2nd gears.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

my 09 F-150 rental has those Michelins on it...they are pretty sticky. I've broken 'em loose a few times, but it took the entire throttle from a stop.
Originally Posted by Deluxe05
We said the same thing, but in different words.

But, to be brutally honest, you will not have the same horsepower & torque curves. It takes fuel to create that power, and limiting the flow of fuel to the cylinders can drastically change your horsepower & torque curves. Granted, the overall engine design, electronics, and what-not still carry the potential to create the same power, but the fact remains that the performance will be drastically limited by placing the transmission in 1st & 2nd gears.
semantics...and you know exactly what I meant

Old 07-06-2009, 06:57 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My 2007 F-150 V6 5-speed won't do a burnout, but that's a good thing. I found out on wet pavement that it gets wheel hop doing a spin-out - I guess I'll have to put traction bars on it! . The funny thing here is, the engineers do everything they can to give the unloaded truck traction, and the guy complains because he can't do a burnout. Dude; it's not supposed to spin the tires - it's supposed to move when you gas it.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

c'mon...he's a guy with a truck

who doesn't want a little burnout here and there? I had lots of fun with my old truck. Left a little rubber everywhere I went

Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 PM
bmvtr
Mountain Pass
Nah i know its no supposed to roast tires but like tylus said its fun to do one every now and then but i guess good so it will keep me out of trouble thanks guys

Quick Reply: burnout/ spinning tire.