1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

ididit steering column questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 06:01 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ididit steering column questions

for anyone with a column shift 3 speed, what is the handle action from neutral to park?

on mine,

low, no lock step into 2nd, no lock step into drive, where it is locked.
1/2/d the lever moved a little further away from me on each step.

pull lever up into neutral, locked.
pull lever up into reverse, no lock, slips on into park.
this last part I don't think is right. I think there should be a stop here in reverse,
then lift lever again to get into park..
and out of park into reverse, slips right into neutral.

can someone verify their operation

.... now, has anyone ever taken one of these apart in the car? is the stop control ring replaceable without sending the column to ididit?

thanks

Sam

Old 07-07-2009, 01:22 AM
alanco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ididit is just a GM column without the GM key lock. It looks a little better. The action for the GM column is two small steps between D, 2, and 1. a lock in Drive to keep you from overshifting into neutral when shifting up into Drive from 2 or 1. Neutral should not have a lock, and Reverse has a lock, and there is a lock in Park. The lock in Park is a high lock (requiring you to lift higher) so that rocking a car between D and R can be done over the Drive lock with a slight lift which stops at the Reverse Lock. To go into Park, you have to lift a lot more. The distance from Reverse to Park with a GM Automatic is equivalent to another shift position, so it is a long throw. A Ford Automatic is a much shorter throw.

The problem with a GM column on a Ford Auto is that the Ford has less distance between Park and Reverse than a GM transmission. The lock ramp for a Ford Auto has to be different than for a GM. I think the answer is that you do not have a lock in Park, so it sounds like the wrong ramp is in the column. Since so many Ididits went in with 350/350 combos, they may have sent you the wrong column. Since the only Ford combos I have used before were 302/C4 and 460/C6, and I used floor mounted B&M shifters, I did not have a column problem. I used a GM Jeep style Manual Column with tilt and directional signals. The GM columns are real inexpensive and are the same parts as are in my 80 Olds, which has a 2004R in it. I would call Ididit to start with. I am sure that they have had this problem before. You spent a lot of money on the Ididit Column, and they should make it right. Your truck is too gorgeous to have a shifting problem, Sam

Old 07-07-2009, 07:09 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

thanks.. let me try that description again

I pull the lever up (to the steering wheel), and all the way down into 1.
release the lever.

now, using just one finger, I can push the lever from 1 to 2 and from 2 to D without lifting the lever. now I am locked into D, won't go in either direction without lifting the arm.

I can now lift the arm and move it counter clockwise into Neutral, release the arm, and it is locked there.

I can now lift the arm and move it counter clockwise towards R. release the arm. Now, using one finger, I can push the lever counter clockwise all the way into Park, without stopping in R, or being locked into Reverse..

THAT is the problem.. it also does the same thing from park own towards neutral.. no stop before hitting neutral (1 finger pushing clockwise on the arm).. Ididit confirmed there should be a stop before going into park yesterday.. we played telephone tag, so I'm not sure what the repair choices are..

we did order a column with the ford detent plate.

Sam

Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 AM
alanco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
thanks.. let me try that description again

I pull the lever up (to the steering wheel), and all the way down into 1.
release the lever.

now, using just one finger, I can push the lever from 1 to 2 and from 2 to D without lifting the lever. now I am locked into D, won't go in either direction without lifting the arm.

I can now lift the arm and move it counter clockwise into Neutral, release the arm, and it is locked there.

I can now lift the arm and move it counter clockwise towards R. release the arm. Now, using one finger, I can push the lever counter clockwise all the way into Park, without stopping in R, or being locked into Reverse..

THAT is the problem.. it also does the same thing from park own towards neutral.. no stop before hitting neutral (1 finger pushing clockwise on the arm).. Ididit confirmed there should be a stop before going into park yesterday.. we played telephone tag, so I'm not sure what the repair choices are..

we did order a column with the ford detent plate.

Sam
It does not sound right to me. For one thing, the column should lock the park position so it can't jump out of park. The locks should also facilitate rocking the car between D and R, and should also require a lift between 1, 2, and D. The only thing that could screw it all up is if the shift lever or levers are the wrong length. However, the total throw is about right, so that's probably not an issue. If there is a GM ramp in it, it would allow more throw and the ramps would be wrong, especially starting from park, as you would have what amounts to an extra position that would put the reverse lock into neutral, but the drive lock would be down a notch also and it isn't. The total throw would be too long. So It does not figure....

Alan

Old 07-08-2009, 10:34 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

thanks Alan.. it locks INTO park.. and Neutral.. just no stop position in reverse.. it does not stop going INTO park.

we must be using different terminology.. I'll have to take a video and post that..

sam