1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wiring ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
[quote=4thgenford;7687184]
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Of course, that assumes people would read it first; just like the Search function, that doesn't seem to happen.

THE SEARCH FUNCTION THAT NEVER SEEMS TO WORK!!
I honestly don't know what the crying about Search is about? I found three or four threads on this same question just by searching This Forum on keywords "turn signal wiring".

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...earchid=973483

242 hits, including the ones with Julie's detailed wiring, other schematics, etc. What's the problem?

-- use Advanced Search
-- limit the search to this forum
-- spell the Keywords correctly
-- if you have any idea when the thread you are looking for was posted, dial in a date range

Old 07-07-2009, 02:42 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Great tips on the search Ross!

I never tried the advanced search....probably makes a big diff. I'll try it because I use the search ALOT and I can't find any thing any more. Maybe its a methodology thing????!!!!???? You just have to be smarter than the search function (boy am I in trouble).

Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Yes, use the advanced search only! Click on the search tab in the blue bar, click on advanced search at the bottom of the box that pops up. In the advanced search pane, put in your search terms starting with the most important word then any "modifier words" that make the search more specific. If you don't find what you want, try synonyms for the term. If you know who's posts you want to find put in their user name in the user name field, being sure to get it right, capitalizations and spaces count. as said, limit your search to this forum unless looking for info in other forums.
i.e. someone complained they couldn't find my posts on aligning front sheetmetal. They did a general search on "aligning doghouse" and got nothing.
They should have done an advanced search thusly:
search terms: alignment fenders hood doghouse -axle
Since they knew they wanted posts by me:
user name: AXracer (note AX is uppercase, no spaces. best to find a previous post by that user and copy their name exactly)
search in forums: Older Classic Antique trucks/ 1948-60 F1 F100 and larger (this forum)
If he knew he wanted to read something I had posted on the subject in the past 6 months he could add a date span as well. If he only wanted to find topics on the subject I started rather than individual posts I made he could have selected "search titles only" in the drop down box under the keyword field.

Doing a general search on a slang term meant that the entire site was searched for any post that included either "alignment" or "doghouse" or any part of those words, so he may have found many many articles on front end alignment on all year trucks, how to build a doghouse for a pet or a SO who is in trouble, what kind of dog people own, and what was ment by a statement, etc.. In other words a lot of useless info. That's not the search engine's fault! It gave what it was told to find. The search was just too generalized.
In my advance search above he would have found posts by me on this forum that I posted in the last 6 months only that included the term "alignment", "fenders", "hood", or "doghouse" in that order of importance, but skipped any that also contained "axle" (-axle. a minus sign says to skip any term following the minus. note: no space after the minus, if you want more than 1 term skipped list them all seperated with a comma space between) Note that alignment is the most important search term so it it listed first. Otherwise I would have gotten all posts with fenders, hood, or doghouse discussed listed before any alignment topics depending on search term order. A plus sign followed by a term (no space between) tells the search engine that the term following the + must appear in the post as well as the previous term(s).
Enclosing more than 1 term or phrase in quotes tells the search engine that those terms or phrase must appear together in the order in the quotes: i.e. searching on front fenders will return hits first including "front" then including "fenders", so you'll get posts on which end of the truck is the front, teeth decorations, etc then posts on all sorts of fenders, including front and/or rear, repairing, which are best, posts talking about/by a user named "fenders" etc.
By enclosing the two terms in quotes ("front fenders") in the search field you will only get hits on posts that include front fenders as a phrase in that post. You would not get this post: "When aligning the front sheet metal the fenders are aligned after the hood." since front is not immediately followed by fenders.
All search engines are pretty powerful, but also pretty dumb. They will not try to figure out what you really want to know, only exactly what you ask for, so be careful of what (how) you ask to reduce surprises. Ask and Bling are two newer search engines that are attempting to use "fuzzy logic" to try to figure out what you REALLY want to know, but the jury is still WAY out.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:27 PM
tom howell
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks every one. The pressure switch was the problem.
Got a new one and it works just fine.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Woodsman_30350
Elder User
Had the same problem on my '50 equipped with a pressure switch and a Ididit column. Turned out to be the connection between the white wire at the junction of the harness and the column wiring. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 PM
4thgenford
Senior User

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Great tips on the search Ross!

I never tried the advanced search....probably makes a big diff. I'll try it because I use the search ALOT and I can't find any thing any more. Maybe its a methodology thing????!!!!???? You just have to be smarter than the search function (boy am I in trouble).
Ditto Julie