Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Senior User

4caster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Interior Headliner and Door Panels

I have a 1986 F150 XLT Lariat. (At least that is what the shiny badge says...)

Question 1 - Has anyone had any experience with LNC upper door panels? My OEM panels are quite chalky after 23 years in the Texas heat.

Question 2 - It appears that the missing headliner material was glued to the inner metal roof? (There is foam and glue residue on the metal panel over my head.) Was gluing the fabric to the metal inner roof the norm, or was this a "modification" made by a PO? What would be my best stategy for gluing on new fabric? I thought that most headliners backers were removable fiber board.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Freshman User

IrishBusDriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
head linner

Hi, I had a truck here that had a head linner in it, yes it had the fiber board and the fabric was glued to it, cant help on the other question, Mike
Old 07-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4caster View Post
I have a 1986 F150 XLT Lariat. (At least that is what the shiny badge says...)

Question 1 - Has anyone had any experience with LNC upper door panels? My OEM panels are quite chalky after 23 years in the Texas heat.

Question 2 - It appears that the missing headliner material was glued to the inner metal roof? (There is foam and glue residue on the metal panel over my head.) Was gluing the fabric to the metal inner roof the norm, or was this a "modification" made by a PO? What would be my best stategy for gluing on new fabric? I thought that most headliners backers were removable fiber board.
LMC has quality products

The headliner did have a cardboard liner w a faom backin then a piece of fabric glued to that. It Should not of ben glued to the steel headliner. The trim around the roof holds it up
Old 07-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Junior User

mercurycat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi, My 82 had a cardboard liner with a vinal headliner. I took a liner out of a 1992 removed the fabric and foam and sanded the cardboard. I then purchased new headliner fabric from an auto interior shop and used 3M super interior adhesive.
Diesel Brad is correct, the board is held up by the trim.
You can also find headliner material at some fabric stores. Her in CT we have Jo Ann Fabrics and they have some basic colors for a good price.
I also upgraded the suvisors to the 87 and up set up. Much more stable.
Good luck
Old 07-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Senior User

4caster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the replies! It didn't seem "right" to be gluing headliner material to the metal inner roof.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Postmaster

uncle.stosh has a good reputation on FTE.uncle.stosh has a good reputation on FTE.
Like others have said, there is supposed to be a piece of card board or foam board up there and then the headliner material gets glued to that.

My truck did not come with a headliner, and when I tried to find one all of them were either warped or cracked. Talking to my friend that owns an upholstery shop, he suggested gluing it directly to the metal roof. He does it all the time.

I thought about it for a while and decided not to in case I wanted to change the color of my interior. But, I did like the idea if it were going to be semi-permanent. The metal roof has some nice contours to it IMO and gluing the liner material right to it would look pretty good IMO.

I finally found a good donor piece of foam board from a later model truck and he glued a nice piece of headliner material to it for me and it came out really nice. The only thing you need to be aware of is that 87+ sun visors have an extra clip out near the end to keep them from flopping around. 80-86 do not use these clips and you will have to fill the holes in the foam board it they will show through the headliner material.

Either that, or use the later model sun visors and the clips that go with them. I choose not to do this because they did not offer the color I needed (Fawn) in 87+ trucks and the saddle tan was too dark for the rest of my interior.

One more thing: Make sure that your cab has the necessary square holes in it for the clips on the trim pieces. It is not so easy to add a headliner to a truck that did not have one from the factory. The trim pieces and those metal clips are what holds the headliner in place.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:26 AM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle.stosh View Post
Either that, or use the later model sun visors and the clips that go with them. I choose not to do this because they did not offer the color I needed (Fawn) in 87+ trucks and the saddle tan was too dark for the rest of my interior.
I got some 87+ visors & clips that are grey; although they don't match my
Wedgewood Blue interior, they complement it OK IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle.stosh View Post
One more thing: Make sure that your cab has the necessary square holes in it for the clips on the trim pieces. It is not so easy to add a headliner to a truck that did not have one from the factory. The trim pieces and those metal clips are what holds the headliner in place.
I also picked up all the pieces to add a headliner and rear trim (into which I'd
like to mount speakers a-la-later models) to my truck, I even made templates of
the sizes & locations of those holes you're talking about. I haven't installed any
of it yet and I'm not gonna 'til I first deal with the rusty floor but, the more I
think about it, the more I'm thinking of merely screwing the parts to the inner
cab sheet metal instead of trying to make those holes (which I'm thinking
would perhaps be made with a rotary tool but I can imagine it being imprecise
and a PITA).
Old 07-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
If you use the 87 and newer trim all that is screwed in place without any clpis like the 80-86 style
Old 07-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Postmaster

uncle.stosh has a good reputation on FTE.uncle.stosh has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
If you use the 87 and newer trim all that is screwed in place without any clpis like the 80-86 style
True, but the seat belt mounting on the B pillar is different.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Post Fiend

True true true
Old 07-04-2009, 10:33 PM
New User

forrd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Re: Headliner material.

Instead of going to an upholstery shop, I used one of those fuzzy nylon blankets from walmart. It has a nap to it, kind of like the old wool headliners from the 1940's cars, and provides decent sound dampening. I just used 3m spray glue to stick it to the fiber backing material.

It's held up pretty good for about 5 years now. Wager it might be cheaper than getting official headliner material.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Postmaster

I paid $40 for my new headliner removed, recovered and installed and thought it was a very reasonable price.

It came out as good if not better than the factory IMO and I didn't have to buy the material or the adhesive or waste my time doing it myself.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 AM
Elder User

Sport45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
We needed a headliner and a way to install a modern radio too. The "Highliner" that LMC (ond others, probably) sells fit the bill nicely. We left it black, but could have painted it to match teh rest of the interior trim.

The speakers aren't the best and we've since replaced them, but the concept is good.

<= "After"
Old 07-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Senior User

mds47588 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I too paid about $40.00 for my material and the removal of the old material and reinstalling of the new headliner at a small local upolstery shop. I had painted each and every single piece of my interior to get a solid match with the color and used the newer style of visors to prevent them from flopping around as Uncle Stosh mentioned. I had spent alot of time on my interior, it gets compliments, and I'm rather proud of my work thus far.

Click the image to open in full size.

Door panels can be hard to find in the yards. Some members here (Uncle Stosh) may have some to offer. The panels in my truck are going to be replaced with another set I have that looks nearly new when the doors are replaced in a few weeks. Most of the ones I've came across aren't in any kind of useable condition either.

I've seen the "Higliner" pictures in the catalogs, but never seen one in person, or even a picture of one actually installed in a truck. Care to share?
'92 Chevrolet C-3500 5.7L/5 speed extd cab dually
'82 F-150 LB/5.8
...all kept at a lil house in south Mississippi...
Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Elder User

F250FarmBoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've wanting a "highliner" for a while, but the $300+ LMC charges for it is alittle steep. NPD sells them for alittle cheaper, but its still over $250 IIRC.

Mel over on OBN has one installed on his truck and its all decked out with switches, a fan, radio, and more.

Looks good IMO
Kingpin D.60, Srw, 4.10 l/s, push button GP's, ex-tree service truck, dumped utility bed for the bed off an '89 . Soon to get paint with the idea of yellow and black "boss 302" graphics....but it won't say "boss 302"
Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 PM