1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How did you get into old Ford trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
1980!

I had just moved to San Jose, Ca. for my first big job. One day I was driving up US101 to San Francisco and there was some sort of Effie Truck rally driving north out of San Jose! There must have been 50 trucks and they were SO BEAUTIFUL.

I thought to myself "Self...You gotta have one of those!"

Two weeks later I bought my 55 which had been derstroyed by a fire and had had the frame, running gear and, read end reconditioned.

Two weeks later I met "Preston" at "F-100 Trucks".... been broke ever since.

Five years later this is the result:

Name:  55 Side View.jpg
Views: 4767
Size:  88.7 KB

I LOVED that truck and just died when I had to sell it - still kick myself!

The rest, as they say is HISTORY!

PS my 51 is going to be the same colors scheme!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:03 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just opened the door and climbed on in!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always been a car guy. Even as a little kid I read HotRod and Rod & Custom (little pages) and put together tons of Revell/Monogram models etc. I did other stuff too, but cars/trucks were my main thing. I had a couple $100 cars in high school and then got into sports cars/autocrossing and the like, but I was always drawn back to restoring old stuff. I got my first Ford truck--29Roadster pickup about 2ys after highschool. And don't I wish I still had that truck---The next owner put it in the Portland Roadster show in 1968? Actually I liked it better when I had it, but he made even shinier. As things went on lifes demands moved into times when I had to set aside my truck passions, but since the late 1970's I've continued on and off with "home garage" rebuilds of stock and modified trucks. I've settled into the Ford trucks for a couple reasons. One I like Fords and Ford motor companys history/racing too etc, and I like the looks of the Ford trucks better/and there's a big community and often abundance of support and parts etc to help me with the work--that's important.

Goodluck Tom

Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 AM
DadOh1
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My dad had an old Studebaker truck when I was little, and I spent the next forty years thinking that I really wanted to fix up an old truck 'someday'. Five years ago dad got the big C and came back to live with us, and we started lookin'. Since we were the world's 2 worst mechanics (and not made of money) we figured a Stude would be way too hard, and aimed for either a mid-50's Ford or late 50's Chevy. (yes, yes, I know...).

The C got him before we found it, by a few weeks, but 'we' got a '54 with all the "hard stuff" done (running w/ an '89 Mustang engine, AOD Tranny, new rear end, everything else bone stock or missing). Ole Betty's been my fave hobby for 3 years now, and with both my kids going to college now I have Time, to go with my now complete lack of Money.

And, between lurking here regularly for 3 years, and working just a mile from Sac Vintage Ford, I've now bled that Chevy idea out of my system, too...

Old 10-28-2009, 04:54 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
I guess these big jobs came as a package deal at birth. No my affection with these,
Im sure it came from my cousin had a complete collection of Tonka toys which are
to me 1953s and Im jealous that I didnt have one, he had rare 10 wheelers fire trucks
and those sleek dump trucks that felt like real hydraulic dump action. So at present
I have the last laugh. I operate real big jobs not toys.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Dirt Boy
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I was a "car guy" back in high school but my choice were British sports cars, had a rare Austin Healy 100/4 and a few Triumph TR3's and TR4's. But then I re-discovered motorcycles in the mid 70's (learned to ride in the 50's) when those Japanees Enduro style bikes were introducing many Americans to riding (had a '72 Yamaha DT-2 for many years.) So, my four wheel needs were all about transporting bikes and gear. I bought a Dodge van in '76.

Fast forward to 2001. I'm at work (motorcycle dealership) and an old guy comes in asking if anyone's interested in his old BMW. One of the salesmen wanted to go to his house to see it but didn't have any way to truck it home. I had a Dodge truck and offered to take him over Sunday and check it out. On the way out the door the old guy says, Oh yeah, got an old Ford panel truck if you know anyone who wants one.

Sunday, on the way over to check out the BMW, I told John I'd been thinking about an old panel truck and how cool it'd look towing my Scotty travel trailer. I said something like: If it's green (to match the Scotty) I'm gonna buy it! When I turned the last corner here's what we saw:

And the latest picture, taken last month:

Wonder why this project is taking so long???????

Moral of the story: Don't make rash statements ...... it can get expensive!

I did fall in love with the old girl, we've named her Minty, and can't wait to get her back on the road. If all goes well (does it ever?) she'll be up and running by end of year.

DB

Old 10-28-2009, 07:29 AM
gt40racing
Senior User
I am classic mustang guy and I went out to my buddies place to checkout a 65 mustang coupe and stumbled across my current truck. Had no intentions of building a truck but there was something about this truck that was calling me. Truck has made a great addition to our mustang collection.....

Old 10-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Dirt Boy said "was a "car guy" back in high school but my choice were British sports cars, had a rare Austin Healy 100/4 and a few Triumph TR3's and TR4's."

I laughed when I read that "dirt boy"--I too was a British/German sports car guy and had a TR3&TR4++, and when I was 16/17 I was looking for a Austin Healy 3000(?) with the big 6cylinder etc, and I responded to an ad for a car but it was the AustinHealy 100/4 and it was in great shape and the guy only wanted like $700 for it--that was in 1963 or so?. And I was so young and stupid I couldn't even consider the 100/4 (little motor/3speed?/funny grille/fold down window?) Anyway I thought it was stupid!! still laughing. What a dummy I was. Fantastic car/maybe the most beautifully designed British car ever!! Anyway that's how I learned that "youth is wasted on the young".

At least it was on me!!.

Love your Panel truck.

Good luck
Tom

Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Dirt Boy
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Tomget,

Not only was it a 100/4 it was a '56 100/4. It wasn't a LeMans version, but still, the '56 is the coveted 100/4 as it was the only year with 4 cyl and 4 speed. I saw one go at Barrett-Jackson for $150,000! I sold mine for $1,500.

Of all the vehicle's I've owned, I'd love to have that 100/4 back, and my '79 Norton 850 Commando. Vehicles like those should never be sold.

DB

Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Lance Hogan
More Turbo

I can blame my father for this addiction (I have to blame someone right?). My grandfather and father are ford men making it a natural progression for me to bleed blue. In the early 1990’s my father decided he wanted to refurbish an old ford truck making it into a “California Style” hot rod. He put an advertisement in the St. Louis Post newspaper searching for a 1953 thru 1956 F100. We spent the next several weeks traveling eastern Missouri looking at Effie’s; a few good, most not so good. We settled on a truck located in Barnhart, MO (20 minutes south of St. Louis) and brought it home via a wrecker. I was soooo excited to see the truck sitting beside our house and even was compelled to wax the faded red interior paint.
<O</O
My father had a friend named Dick Lux who lived the majority of his life in California and was an old school “hot rodder”. To explain further, Dick drove a 1956 F100 (289c.i) to work every day, took his dates(single guy) out on the weekend in his 1940 Ford Sedan, and drove his 1932 Ford 3 Window Coupe (flathead) to church on Sunday. To say the least, he was a true blue hot rodder” and upon moving to Farmington, Missouri in the mid 1980’s soon became well-known for his abilities in restoring vehicles. My father convinced Dick to come to our house every Monday evening for a free meal and in return, we would receive a “lesson” on how to restore antique vehicles. He began by teaching us the basics in metal shrinking and bodywork. We tore the truck down and had the entire body sandblasted. After that, we apoxy primered the parts to inhibit rust. Over the next several years and lessons, my father and I became known as the “Bondo Boys” as Dick would call us. Around seven years after the initial purchase of our 1955 F100, we finally finished the truck. Dick taught us how engines and transmissions work; how to heat and shrink metal; how to prep and paint; and the list goes on and on. This knowledge will be a part of us forever and it is my hope to pass them to others as Dick passed them to us.
<O</O
As I reflect upon that experience, I believe the most important aspect was the time I had to share with my father. Every Monday night was our night! We got to discuss our life dreams, our life motivation, and life challenges as we completed this journey together. He taught me work ethic, discipline, patients, and how to be a respectable person. This opportunity was priceless in my book. As I have developed from a young teenager to an adult, these ole Ford truck have become even more special to me. To this day, my father and I share the same passion for these trucks, but we also have a special relationship that is irreplaceable. I often hear people complaining about the cost of these “hot rods” and in my book, I can’t put a price on my relationship that was developed with my father, the love for ole ford trucks, and skills I’ve gained. I can honestly say that I would not be the man I am today without these old ford trucks.
<O</O
<O</O
Lance
<O</O

Old 10-29-2009, 02:57 PM
john fin
Senior User
My truck

Another Dad story: My dad was an aerospace engineer who was only an engineer for a few years due to the layoffs in the industry during the 60's and 70's so he bought a service station, ARCO. The service truck for the station was an orange '47 Chevy. I loved that truck and the body style was great BUT they only came with 6er's and I was a v-8 man so I hunted down the next best(maybe better) thing: a fat fendered V8 ford. When I was in HS in the 70's a friend of mine was going into the marines and had a 52' ford he had to unload, burried up to the seat in mud. Thats were I got hooked. Most of my HS buddies were reading playbay, I was reading the dennis carpenter catalog, had about 10 pages back then but it was cool.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:17 PM
jake08
Elder User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lance Hogan
I can blame my father for this addiction (I have to blame someone right?). My grandfather and father are ford men making it a natural progression for me to bleed blue. In the early 1990’s my father decided he wanted to refurbish an old ford truck making it into a “California Style” hot rod. He put an advertisement in the St. Louis Post newspaper searching for a 1953 thru 1956 F100. We spent the next several weeks traveling eastern Missouri looking at Effie’s; a few good, most not so good. We settled on a truck located in Barnhart, MO (20 minutes south of St. Louis) and brought it home via a wrecker. I was soooo excited to see the truck sitting beside our house and even was compelled to wax the faded red interior paint.
<O</O
My father had a friend named Dick Lux who lived the majority of his life in California and was an old school “hot rodder”. To explain further, Dick drove a 1956 F100 (289c.i) to work every day, took his dates(single guy) out on the weekend in his 1940 Ford Sedan, and drove his 1932 Ford 3 Window Coupe (flathead) to church on Sunday. To say the least, he was a true blue hot rodder” and upon moving to Farmington, Missouri in the mid 1980’s soon became well-known for his abilities in restoring vehicles. My father convinced Dick to come to our house every Monday evening for a free meal and in return, we would receive a “lesson” on how to restore antique vehicles. He began by teaching us the basics in metal shrinking and bodywork. We tore the truck down and had the entire body sandblasted. After that, we apoxy primered the parts to inhibit rust. Over the next several years and lessons, my father and I became known as the “Bondo Boys” as Dick would call us. Around seven years after the initial purchase of our 1955 F100, we finally finished the truck. Dick taught us how engines and transmissions work; how to heat and shrink metal; how to prep and paint; and the list goes on and on. This knowledge will be a part of us forever and it is my hope to pass them to others as Dick passed them to us.
<O</O
As I reflect upon that experience, I believe the most important aspect was the time I had to share with my father. Every Monday night was our night! We got to discuss our life dreams, our life motivation, and life challenges as we completed this journey together. He taught me work ethic, discipline, patients, and how to be a respectable person. This opportunity was priceless in my book. As I have developed from a young teenager to an adult, these ole Ford truck have become even more special to me. To this day, my father and I share the same passion for these trucks, but we also have a special relationship that is irreplaceable. I often hear people complaining about the cost of these “hot rods” and in my book, I can’t put a price on my relationship that was developed with my father, the love for ole ford trucks, and skills I’ve gained. I can honestly say that I would not be the man I am today without these old ford trucks.
<O</O
<O</O
Lance
<O</O
Thanks Lance; Very nice to hear about the great relationship you had with your father. That should occur in more families.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Anyone that knows Lance and his father can understand the bond they have, they truly love these old ford trucks. I have met both Lance and dad and enjoyed the time we have spent together and also the wife and beautiful baby at Piegon Forge last June, see you in June 2010 Lance, Garry

Old 10-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by homade
Anyone that knows Lance and his father can understand the bond they have, they truly love these old ford trucks. I have met both Lance and dad and enjoyed the time we have spent together and also the wife and beautiful baby at Piegon Forge last June, see you in June 2010 Lance, Garry

I agree Garry, Lance, his dad and all the guys/gals that I've met over the years are truly a class act group of guys/gals. Its more than a hobby, when you count the friendships and extended families that we have in this "hobby"

Good story Lance!! But we need more pics!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:43 PM
freakboy
Senior User
My love of old ford trucks happend when i was born! Old ford trucks and old mustangs are my true love. I also was lucky enough to live in a family who only drive quality! ford!

Quick Reply: How did you get into old Ford trucks?