Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Senior User

deadbug is starting off with a positive reputation.
The cac fix

For hesitation in rainy or humid weather.

My Question is if your experiencing it is that hurting our engine's or turbo's
etc.

Dealer has part on order for me won't see til next week but want to drive to Maine of coarse in the rain. go for it or I'm I hurting anything,
I could really man up and take the bike

Thanks,, Happy forth to you all as well
Old 07-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Senior User

R-T0r21on is starting off with a positive reputation.
I see in your sign. that your truck is a job#1 which means that you've been driving in the rain for a while now. I don't know if it really hurts anything, but I really doubt that 1 more time will matter. I just had mine done. I drove in a little rain since then (not much though), and so far, so good.
Job #1 F-350 SRW, 6.4 PSD, Auto, 4x4, supercab, long bed, Line-X, Vent visors, AFE cold air intake, MBRP "cool duals" exhaust, Bed locker electric retractable tonneau cover, Kenwood DNX-9980HD Nav. stereo w/ backup camera, Titan 60 gal. tank, Readylift leveling kit, 5" rear spring blocks, Banks intercooler, Spartan 275 hp DOC/DPF delete tune.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Senior User

deadbug is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yea, she not a daily driver. I've had this truck since last October and never experienced the highway issue until the last month here with this lousy
weather.
The problem fits the tsb perfectly just never experienced it till recently.
So then I'm not sure if it actually does any damage to anything either.
I would imagine that would be a tough debate....
Screw it I'll just drive it
Old 07-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Postmaster

ruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant future
Joel Rusche Joel Rusche Joel Rusche
For what it's worth my truck has been doing the sputter and smoke dance for two years. I do lots of highway driving with trailers in tow and when the rain was out, I pushed the motor just as hard as usual. There have been many times when I actually pushed the motor harder making the condition really bad so that I could make something either break or throw a code. While it has been under warranty I have really tried to make as much stuff break as possible and nothing has. My engine is running strong and I have the new CAC and it's great. I think the engine runs even better with it.
2015 F350 CC KR SRW LB 4x4, 3.55ELD, ordered 9/4/14, home 10/24/14. Factory 5th wheel set up, VIAIR #10009 kit, train horns, ride-rite air bags, CB, Strobe lights, BedRug, BakFlipG2, TransferFlow in-bed 50gal tank, 2 Kicker 10" subs, Polk 1" tweeters, tinted front windows, Tuxedo Black Monotone option
Old 07-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Senior User

overthehillbill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.overthehillbill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I am now on the final leg from central Ca. through Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Washington and now in Oregon. I am pulling a fiver and have noticed much better performance with the new CAC.
In tow/haul it seems to pull much better with higher boost and less down shifting. Hand calculated fuel mileage has increased 1 mpg. Not sure if that is the result of the CAC or the engine getting broken in.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Senior User

trfdfirefighter is starting off with a positive reputation.
what is cac? my truck never has any problems with sputtering smoking or hesitating. do i even need one?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
CAC = Charge Air Cooler.

Also known as an intercooler.

Cools the air coming out of your hot turbos before it goes into the engine. Since cooler air is more dense it increases the amount of air that goes into each cylinder, which increases the amount of power the engine can make, as well as lowering EGTs.

You don't need one because you already have one.

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Senior User

trfdfirefighter is starting off with a positive reputation.
oh i know what an intercooler is and all that jazz just never heard it called a cac thanks though learn something everyday on here!
Old 07-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Senior User

jlalanas is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same issue with my job 2 '08 and just had it replaced last week. Been raining a bunch here in the northeast this summer, so it was a noticable issue. I'm still not certain why/how the engine was creating the smoke? Was the original CAC sucking in the water and blowing it through the engine? OR were the fins on the original part two small/close and not allowing the CAC to cool the air down enough before pumping it back in the engine creating the smoking condition?

Either way, now I have a shiny black new CAC which should make the truck run better.

'12 F350 Lariat 6.7 CC, Sterling Grey
3.55, Method 18" Toyo MT 35x12.5, S&B Intake, Access Bed Cover, Weathertech floor liners, Carli 2.5 Pintop, Bil 7100Stabilizer, Linex, Amp Powersteps, 50G Titan Tank
2011 Ducati Multistrada, 2011 KTM 250xc
Old 07-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Elder User

sawtooth is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlalanas View Post
I had the same issue with my job 2 '08 and just had it replaced last week. Been raining a bunch here in the northeast this summer, so it was a noticable issue. I'm still not certain why/how the engine was creating the smoke? Was the original CAC sucking in the water and blowing it through the engine? OR were the fins on the original part two small/close and not allowing the CAC to cool the air down enough before pumping it back in the engine creating the smoking condition?

Either way, now I have a shiny black new CAC which should make the truck run better.
From what i've been told the old design allowed condensation to develope on the inside of the cooler. This would slowly build up and after 20 min or so on the hwy if you jumped on the throttle or going up big hill with load then the high boost pressures would force all the moisture into your motor. Not sure how the new one resolves this but it seems to have somewhat more wider fin openings and has a much heavier / slick looking paint job.
Banks Ram Air Intake / Banks Charged Air Cooler
Airlift 5000 + 100% compressor + tank
Hellwig rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein shocks
Old 07-07-2009, 06:04 PM