Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 PM
New User

jdevarie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy Clunking Noise when turning

Hello all and thanks for keeping up this great site. I have a 2000 F250 SD with the V10 engine. The problem that I am having with it as of late is that whenever I perform a full turn I hear some clunking coming from the front end. The clunking is similar to that heard from cars that use CV joints FWD but of course it sound more "manly"

Anyways, my truck has the full axle on front so I suppose it could be either the u-joint at the hub or the hub itself. I would like some pointers so I can acquire the required parts.

thanks in advance.

Jim
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Mine did it too until I serviced the hubs. You should do that before you do anything else unless it's been done. It's probably the joints making the noise. There are posts in here on cleaning/greasing inner hub and locking hub. I made a post on the inner.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:51 PM
New User

Thank you very much. That is nice to hear. I will research that. Hopefully it will stop raining up here (boston) so I can get it done :-)

regards,

jim
Old 06-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Elder User

Robs06SuperDuty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Robs06SuperDuty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
@stemandbeans
my truck was doing it a few months ago, I had just assumed that I had the hubs engaged but I didnt, they might not have disengaged. it doesnt do it now.
06 F250 XLT 5.4L SCLB 4x4, "Hybrid", F350 Block Swap, Firestone Air Bags, Skyjacker 2.5" Coils, 295/70R18 Trail Grapplers, 08 Rear Diff Cover, 08 Tailgate, RC Dual Stabilizer, K&N CAI, Banks Monster Exhaust, SCT X3 with Custom Tunes from 5 Star, Cobra 29 with Wilson 1000 whip
Old 06-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
If you get too much friction in the hubs they can spin the joints even though they are unlocked. After I did a greasing of the wheel and locking hubs it went away on mine.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Freshman User

Doubleubar is starting off with a positive reputation.
Another Source of a Clunk

While the hubs can provide the clunking noises, it is also possible for worn stabilizer bushings can also provide some lound clunking noises.

I have a 2000 F350 and had a clunking noise in the front end when I was making a left turn. I initially thought it could be one of the hubs but new bushings for the stabilizer bar eliminated the noise.

If you service the hubs and still have a clunk I would check the bushings on the drop links and those connecting the bar to the front axle.

Glenn
Old 07-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior User

Powerstrokin_350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same problem as well. New ball joints, new wheel bearing and hub assemblies on both sides, new warn non auto hubs, and my noise is more of a growl, not a clunk. only does it turning left and can feel it in the steering wheel. still maybe the stabilizer bar?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Senior User

Powerstrokin_350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oh, and its lifted if that changes anything
Old 07-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Sounds like the axles are turning. Either the hubs are locked, stuck, or the needle bearings (inner spindle bearing) is dry and rotating the axle even when the hubs are unlocked.
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 07-01-2009, 12:27 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
If you find you need to do some maintance here is a great website to help:
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/index.php

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 08-18-2009, 08:27 PM
New User

thank you

Thank you all for the help. Will get this done shortly!!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 11:16 AM
New User

maverick5.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
there is also a service bulletin on the drive-shaft clunk noise and to use teflon grease on the transmision output shaft so the drive-shaft can slide fore and aft... good PM since you will be wrenching away...good luck...-mel-
Old 01-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Freshman User

EricPero is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do you have the service bulletin #? I am experiencing bad clunking when turning the wheel in 4x4 at slow speeds - new ball joints, new u-joints in axle shafts and new wheel hubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5.0 View Post
there is also a service bulletin on the drive-shaft clunk noise and to use teflon grease on the transmision output shaft so the drive-shaft can slide fore and aft... good PM since you will be wrenching away...good luck...-mel-
Old 01-11-2014, 10:46 AM
New User

galaxie460 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My clunk was the sway bar bushings and links, it sounded like it was right under my left foot, did it when I turned into a driveway then everytime you hit a bump.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Very old thread - 5 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPero View Post
Do you have the service bulletin #? I am experiencing bad clunking when turning the wheel in 4x4 at slow speeds - new ball joints, new u-joints in axle shafts and new wheel hubs.
That is somewhat normal. These trucks do not use "CV" joints in the front axles, so when in 4x4, you WILL hear some slap back and forth with the wheels turned.
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 01-11-2014, 03:51 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
clunk, clunks, drive, end, f150, f250, f350, ford, front, makes, noise, rear, shaft, steering, truck, turning