1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Click...click...click

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:18 PM
reflections
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Click...click...click

'84 F250, 351W. several times over the past week I have had a little trouble with starting the engine. Most of the time it started strong, but several times it was slow to turn over. Now its just going click, click, click. I found that i had a loose connection at the battery so i tightened it and charged the battery. Then it double clicked, but the gauge on the battery charger showed the charge went from 100% to 10% almost instantly. I tried to use another vehicle and jump it with cables, but no good...clik, clik, clik. I checked the ground connection at the engine block and it is loose also, but the stud just spins around without tightening. I'm hoping the starter wont have to be replaced, but where should I go first?

Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,344 Posts
Fix the ground connection. Any loose connection on the large wiring is going to cause this.

Also put a voltmeter on the battery as you try to start it. If the voltage goes to zero or very low, the battery is shot.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:49 PM
reflections
Junior User
ok, the battery checks out with a full charge. All the connections, both positive and negative are tight.. the starter engages, but will not turn engine. I will replace the starter as soon as I get the two mounting bolts off.

Both bolts will not recieve a wrench.....any great ideas??/

Old 06-30-2009, 09:54 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by reflections
the starter engages, but will not turn engine.
I had that problem once but, as it turned out, the engine wasn't turning because
the crankcase had filled with gasoline.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...crankcase.html

Old 07-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Varqanir
Freshman User
'84 F250, 351W. several times over the past week I have had a little trouble with starting the engine. Most of the time it started strong, but several times it was slow to turn over. Now its just going click, click, click. I found that i had a loose connection at the battery so i tightened it and charged the battery. Then it double clicked, but the gauge on the battery charger showed the charge went from 100% to 10% almost instantly. I tried to use another vehicle and jump it with cables, but no good...clik, clik, clik. I checked the ground connection at the engine block and it is loose also, but the stud just spins around without tightening. I'm hoping the starter wont have to be replaced, but where should I go first?
That sounds exactly like what happened with my truck. Replaced the starter switch, charged up the batteries and tested the starter, but still nothing but the solenoid going "click!"

You know what it finally was? The battery cables. The positive cable was corroded under the insulation about two inches up from the battery connector, which I'm pretty sure was preventing enough juice from reaching the starter.

It might be worth your while to check those cables. Mine had corroded to pale green powder in some places.

the starter engages, but will not turn engine. I will replace the starter as soon as I get the two mounting bolts off.

Both bolts will not recieve a wrench.....any great ideas??/
The starter is a sumbitch to remove. There are three mounting bolts (at least there are on mine, which is an '85 F350), and you can't see the one on top from under the truck. What I had to do was find that top bolt head by touch and feel, slip a 1/2 inch socket over it with the wrench handle out straight, and then turn the handle with a crescent wrench. Very Rube Goldberg, but it worked.

Oh, I should mention that removing starters is especially fun lying on your back on asphalt in cold, pouring rain.

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:55 PM
victorcharlie
Tuned
Add a ground wire from the solenoid and tie it to the block.

Also, check your timing as an over advanced initial timing can make the starting "challenging".