460 efi

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:24 PM
chris232
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 efi

I have a 1982 F150 with a 429 that needs to be completly rebuilt. it needs everything new from pistons to starter and water pump to everything. i have found a 1997 F350 with a roller 460 with EFI. My question is will it be easier to swap the EFI to carb or the truck to EFI. Any help in this matter would be awesome thanks.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:41 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it is always easier to swap the efi to carb. but you have to swap the heads and intake and exhaust manifolds from the carb motor to the efi motor as the efi heads won't accept the carb manifold and vice versa. other than that they use the same short block. not 100% sure but i don't think ford ever made the 460 with roller cam from the factory.

the only reason i say this is because the efi motor would require a lot of rewiring to adapt the efi motor to the older truck. although not impossible or extremely hard to do if you have the complete wiring harness from the efi truck (that means complete engine, transmission, fuel pump and computer harness) and a complete wiring diagram from both trucks to splice in the new harness, then it can be done.

i would swap the efi short block and use the carb heads and amnifolds for a fairly easy swap.

rgds
Mike