Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Freshman User

MaxOut is starting off with a positive reputation.
White smoke at idle and acceleration Intermittant - smells like fuel

2005 F-350 DRW 6.0 36K miles

Only mod is turbo back monster duals. No Tuner.

At idle and acceleration I have been getting quite a bit of white smoke that smells like fuel.

Checked-
No Loss Of Coolant
No Pucking
No Oil Burn
No Leaks
No Apparent Power Loss And Idles Smooth

I am suspecting I may have a fuel injector issue but it is intermittent. I do not drive the truck every day but when I do I am usually towing. I want to take it too the dealer but when I decide to do it it isn’t smoking. I have not checked for codes or had it too the dealer since 2006. I have not had any issues other than replacing the vacuum pump for the climate system. I would really like a pro's opinion before I take it too the dealer. Any Help would be appreciated. I have searched the forum until; I'm blue in the face and it seems like everyone’s problem is a little different.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Posting Guru

Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.
Definitely sounds like an injector problem. Have you noticed any vibrations when it's smoking? Also, if you don't have a code reader, take it to your nearest Autozone and have them pull the codes. If it's an injector, it will probably be throwing cylinder contribution faults.
2006 F250 Lariat FX4, CC, SB, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, 3.73 LS, Backseat DVD system, Extreme Bedliner, Westin Bully Bar, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Fumoto Valve, Accufab Intake Elbow, Bilstein HD Shocks, Smitty-Bilt Grille Inserts, MBRP Turbo Back Cool Duals (Kitty ran away), ICON Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit w/Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 295/70-R18, Retrax Cover
Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 AM
Freshman User

Thanks for the reply. I am not noticing any vibration? It may be minor, I will pay closer attention. I have not changed the fuel filters since new so I am going to change them today with the oil and start adding cetane booster. I have been traveling a little lately and had to use a few small obscure fuel stops and suspected I may have got some poor fuel. I have burnt two tanks since the smoke problem and thought I ruled out bad fuel? I will check the codes today. I am making a 12 hour trip tomorrow and want to make sure no problems.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:29 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
FYI - The injectors can be damaged to the point of failure due to low fuel pressure. Ford states that fuel filters MUST be changed at 15k miles or less (10k w/ severe service). Ford has a way to verify if a vehicle has the original fuel filters in it - they would certainly void your warranty on the fuel system when they noticed this. Why not take it in to a dealership? Injectors should be covered under the 5 yr 100k warranty. Change your fuel filters first - maybe they won't ask to see your maintenance records and receipts.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Freshman User

Thanks for the advice... I dropped it at the dealer for oil change special ($59.00 with a free bottle of cetane booster) and the service rep is a friend of mine and said he will check for codes and see what he can find. It did not smoke on the way there so I hope they find something. I got the fuel filters and will replace them myself and maintain them from here on out. I also picked up a test kit for the antifreeze. looks like I will be busy tonight. I will post what they find if anything.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
A $59 oil change? With filter?

I can't buy the parts for that much.

Must be nice to have friends in the right places!!
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 06-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Freshman User

I recieved the offer directly from Ford. I signined up on thier web site to recieve special offers. It does include oil, filter & a bottle of cetane booster! Thats why they are doing it I cant do it as cheap. I also got a free Power Stroke LED flashlight with the purchase of a fuel filter. Just mail it in. Pretty sweet!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Posting Guru

Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am not noticing any vibration? It may be minor, I will pay closer attention. I have not changed the fuel filters since new so I am going to change them today with the oil and start adding cetane booster. I have been traveling a little lately and had to use a few small obscure fuel stops and suspected I may have got some poor fuel. I have burnt two tanks since the smoke problem and thought I ruled out bad fuel? I will check the codes today. I am making a 12 hour trip tomorrow and want to make sure no problems.
36k miles and no fuel filter change? Did I read that right? You should be on at least your third set of fuel filters at that mileage! Oh my......
2006 F250 Lariat FX4, CC, SB, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, 3.73 LS, Backseat DVD system, Extreme Bedliner, Westin Bully Bar, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Fumoto Valve, Accufab Intake Elbow, Bilstein HD Shocks, Smitty-Bilt Grille Inserts, MBRP Turbo Back Cool Duals (Kitty ran away), ICON Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit w/Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 295/70-R18, Retrax Cover
Old 07-01-2009, 03:03 AM
Freshman User

I checked my service record and the fuel filers were changed @ 16K and I just did them again. The dealer ran a check and no codes came up but they did have a TSB and reprogrammed the PCM. One of the things in the TSB described my issue so I hope that was it (the list was a mile long). I am leaving for a 12 Hour road trip today so I hope all is well. No smoke on the way home. Thanks for the help!!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:08 PM
New User

pollet is starting off with a positive reputation.
White smoke should not be fuel.
Fuel burns black.
I'll be watching to se ypur replies...
My issue is blue smoke and I'm thinking injector seals.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Excess fuel can produce some white smoke. I've seen a number of videos from folks who had white smoke that ended up being injector problems. The key is that the exhaust smells like fuel.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Senior User

hangon2me is starting off with a positive reputation.
Darn, mine just started to smoke for the first time at idol today.
I recently had Studs installed and up dated o-rings on the
injectors (2-weeks ago). I ran my (SCT) scanner and no codes.
Engine runs smooth at idol
then a faint white cloud appears and then clears up with no noticeable
change in idol RPM's or misfire. Checked the overflow and no loss of coolant or residue.
How do I check to see if the injectors
are bad with no codes?
BF Goodrich KM2 Mud-terrain 35/12.50/R18, Bush-wacker's, level kit, ARP Studs, Accufab intake Elbow, SCT X3 with Spartin Tunes,Full EGR Delete, Pyrometer in a single pod,Full 4" Magnaflow turbo back exhaust with 5" tip w/ modified Cat to 4" inlet/outlet, Zoodad, CCV Re-Route
Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Freshman User

Did the 12 (actually 16) hour trip and no smoke. Looks like the issue is in hibernation for a while. I did notice my fuel economy was slightly better at 14mpg while in tow (10K bumper pull load). Truck ran great and no issues. I will let you know if the smoke re-appears. Just to clarify the smoke was white with a bluish tint and there was allot at idle. Smell strongly of fuel with no smell of coolant or oil. fficeffice" />>>
>>
>>
While I was under the truck checking things out I did notice a slight oil leak that accumulated enough to make one drip on the tyranny. Looks like it's coming from the top of the engine but hard to tell. I am starting to think the turbo intake tube may be cracked underneath and causing the oil from the fuel to accumulate and could also be causing the white smoke?? Any thoughts??>>
Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2006, 60, 60l, acceleration, blue, engine, f250, ford, fuel, idle, idling, oil, powerstroke, smoke, smokes, white