Old 11-19-2014, 06:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Coolant System Guides
Print Wikipost

Electric Cooling Fans from FF Dynamics or LMC Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:27 PM
truvoice1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Electric Cooling Fans from FF Dynamics or LMC Truck?

Hi Everyone

My fan clutch recently went south on my 89 Bronco II 4WD 2.9 L. I am considering replacing the belt driven fan with an electric fan. Through eBay, I stumbled upon a company named FF Dynamics that sells a 3500 CFM electric fan conversion kit including variable thermostat for about $200. Has anyone had any experience with this company? I also have an older catalog for LMC Truck and online, they offer a similar kit for a little less than $200. Same question, has anyone out there used this product from LMC on their Ford? Lastly, does anyone have any other recommendations for good electric fan conversions? Thanks!

Tom aka truvoice1

89 Bronco II 4WD 2.9L 5 spd 250k
97 Aerostar Ext. 2WD 4.0L auto 197K
93 Saab 900 Turbo convertible 2.0L 5 spd 236k
88 Volvo 760 Turbo 2.3L 218k (dead)
91 BMW 318i 1.8L 5 spd 240k (replacing warped head- daughter overheated it!)
99 Ford Pinnacle 2933 RV 6.8L Triton V10 44k

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 06-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with those. Just watch your engine temp after you install them and see how they hold the temp.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:58 AM
truvoice1
New User
Thumbs up Electric Fan Conversion for older Ranger/Bronco II

Hey Dan Thanks for the reply! One question that I forgot to ask is how much of an increase in gas mileage should I expect if I use the electric fan? The sellers claim anywhere from 10 -20% which I think is very optimistic. In my case, that would bring me from around 17-18 mpg to a little over 20 mpg. Every little bit helps for sure; I'm just curious if anyone had any real results that they could pass along. Thanks again! Tom

Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by truvoice1
Hey Dan Thanks for the reply! One question that I forgot to ask is how much of an increase in gas mileage should I expect if I use the electric fan? The sellers claim anywhere from 10 -20% which I think is very optimistic. In my case, that would bring me from around 17-18 mpg to a little over 20 mpg. Every little bit helps for sure; I'm just curious if anyone had any real results that they could pass along. Thanks again! Tom
I agree that 10-20% is "optimistic". Actually, I would call BS on that claim. In testing, under controlled conditions, they reached that mark once! Thus they can claim that as a possible mark.
In actual use, removing the fan "might" net an increase of 2-3 mpg. Subtract the extra load on the alternator from the ~20-30A draw of the fan, you might be looking at a .5-1 MPG gain unless you start driving like Grandma.

Going electric on the cooling fan to increase fuel mileage is of no real benefit by itself. Combined with other mods and a conscious change in driving habits it can help yield good results, though.
When it comes to MPG, there's no substitute for "an egg under the accelerator pedal". Tweaking that device that will yield the best increase in fuel mileage of any other modification for a particular application.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Joshuaj
New User
Bad FF Dynamics

Buyer beware! The system was bought for me as a gift 6 months ago. I had it installed 5 months ago and checked the power and ground connections myself. 4 months later the first fan went out causing it to overheat while the a/c was on. I emailed the company to ask about the warranty. To this day still no reply on that email. And there isn't a contact number to reach anyone. A month later the other fan went out and left me immobile. Once again I wrote the company and waited a week. A week is a long time to be down a vehicle. And still no response. So I checked the BBB, and come to find out they are not accredited for not honoring warranties. FF Dynamics Review - Fans - Repair in West Long Branch, NJ - BBB Business Review - BBB serving New Jersey. So I sent the company a threatening email saying I would put them on blast if they didn't honor their warranty, especially after I sent them all my information about my system and the warranty. They wrote back they they never received it, and that they wouldn't help me because my email was rude and threatening. Hey atleast they replied to this one! In fact here it is;
Hello Joshua,

We do not deal with threats of bad reviews on forums and we do not deal with people who tell how to run our business and try to tell us the correct way a warranty should be handled. Go tell Sony, Pioneer, Sharp that they are all also doing it wrong when it comes to warranty service, that to have items being registered for warranty work to be handled. If you would have taken 2 minutes out of your day to fill out the warranty card and sent it to us so we know, where, what, when and from whom you purchased from, along with if this was a refurbished system or a new system or a used system. We have no way in verifying anything you say, without registering your product when you purchase the system. Your emails to us have been rude and demanding and you still have not provided any proof that you own the system and which system it was. We will not send you any free parts, period. You may do what you like on the forums, we have a loyal following and we do not believe, that one bad apple will do any damage to our company. People are much smarter than to take the words of an irate forum user that has a chip on his shoulder.

Thanks!
FFD
As you can see they are rude themselves, and have not even offered a solution that would allow me to purchase just the motors. And yes the relays get hot and burn out I've already replaced them once. But in the end it was the motors burning out that left me immobile for over a week now. My advice is to find a reputable company. I'm glad I could share my experiences to warn potential buyers.
Josh

Last edited by Joshuaj; 07-19-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 07-20-2013, 02:27 AM
truvoice1
New User
Hey JoshuaJ

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with FF Dynamics. I did have a problem with my fan and they were gracious enough to send me another fan even though I never had sent in the warranty card. As it turned out, the relay went south and that caused the fan not to turn on. The relay is a standard one that I picked up at Napa and now I keep an extra one in the vehicle. I also discovered that the sending unit that is inserted in the top fins of the radiator has a habit of shifting and sometimes gets pushed through the radiator and sticks out in front of it. This causes the fan NOT to turn on when idling at a stop and it needs the tip to be in the middle of the fins to turn on the fan! I hope this helps! Check the relay; that will probably fail before the fan motor does!

Sincerely,

truvoice1 aka tom

89 Bronco II 4WD 2.9L 5 spd 250k
97 Aerostar Ext. 2WD 4.0L auto 210K (dead, needs head gasket)
93 Saab 900 Turbo convertible 2.0L 5 spd 236k
88 Volvo 760 Turbo 2.3L 218k (dead, not sure why, an FI issue?))
94 Volvo 850 Base Wagon, 2.4L, auto 230k
82 Volvo 242 DL 2 door sedan, auto 120k, (just acquired at tow auction CHEAP, got keys from dealer today!)
08 Chevrolet HHR SS 2.0L Turbo, auto 70k (wife's ride, a CPO car purchased 6/30)
99 Ford Pinnacle 2933 RV 6.8L Triton V10 44k

Old 07-20-2013, 04:13 AM
tempforce
Senior User
on my old dodge, i wired in a probe cooling fan. used a 205'f sensor in the water jacket in the intake manifold. worked great..

Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Joshuaj
New User
Relay

I've replaced the relay once already too, thanks for the tip tho! I've actually hooked the fans directly to power without any luck. I'm glad they helped you in your time of need, it seems the company has changed in recent times. They took down their number and stopped responding to emails that don't threaten them. Lesson learned I guess, off to find new fans!