1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas vs PSD

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:16 PM
p-nut
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacks in pickup trucks are pointless IMHO. I usually have a laugh when I see one.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:04 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by p-nut
Stacks in pickup trucks are pointless IMHO. I usually have a laugh when I see one.
You can't say it isnt sweet when a diesel truck with stacks blows big black clouds

Old 06-05-2011, 02:10 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
I like the look/sound of stacks.

However, I HATE the "Coal Rolling" mentality it gives it's attracted crowd... gives diesel owners and diesel in general a bad reputation.

Reminds me of the ricers with their fart-can exhausts and aircraft wing spoilers that the car can't go fast enough to even use.

Diesel has a bad enough rep already (Thanks GM for that crappy 350, lol) we don't need to make it worse.

Plus, the best diesel tunes DON'T smoke a lot.... only the crappy ones, or tunes designed to burn extra fuel for smoke.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:11 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
You can't say it isnt sweet when a diesel truck with stacks blows big black clouds
If at a dragstrip or tractor pull, sure. Not on the street. I will admit that I have a smoke tune on my 02. I have used it maybe 5 times in 2 years. I quickly realized it was a waste of money for that tune since there is really no place to use it. Now if I see the need to get even with some jerk, I would do it. But that has never happened. Most of the guys that drive trucks that blow a lot of smoke are usually jerks driving non-ford trucks. There are exceptions though.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
a 4bt in any 5-5500 lb truck (or lighter if one opts for a reg cab OBS ford)is gonna get around 30 mpg with modest tires and sensible driving. 25 mpg if its got a throttle happy driver with 350 wheel hp at his disposal. so, including mpg in your above statement is a moot point.

look above, i never said it would "outpull the 6.7psd". i said it would have the towing capability of any new truck. . .which, beside for factory tow ratings, is true. im actually making the same argument for the 4bt that you use provokingly in your signature about your v10 vs a psd, except im adding that the 4bt powered OBS ford can get 30 mpg unloaded.

i wasnt tryin to start a pissin match between a 4bt powered truck and anything else, so you dont have to defend against it. i was merely suggesting the only realistic viable alternative to a new-aged emission restricted diesel in a 1/2 ton pickup. (3/4-1 tons of old weigh less than even the 1/2 tons of the present, which is why i suggested to use them, along with the legality of the swap)
We got an MWM motor in the Super Duties in Australia that is similar in size to the 4BT. 200hp 4.2l Turbo straight 6.
Got a little better gas milage (think around 20mpg) than the 7.3's, suffered quite a bit from turbo-lag below 1500rpm, but was SO much more reliable than the 7.3's.
They are useful to get the smoke/smell out of the way of other drivers. Also useful to avoid setting your paddock on fire in hay season

Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 AM
driximus
Posting Guru

Smoke I use it for a couple of reasons.

1. Let other driver know they have screwed up and in the process have irritated me.

2. Prius drivers.

3. When im towing and need to move right a cloud does nicely to discourage drivers who are attempting to cut me off.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:38 AM
driximus
Posting Guru

And stacks are pointless. They hinder me from using my soot in my 3 reasons above.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:27 AM
p-nut
Senior User
Originally Posted by driximus
Smoke I use it for a couple of reasons.

1. Let other driver know they have screwed up and in the process have irritated me.

2. Prius drivers.

3. When im towing and need to move right a cloud does nicely to discourage drivers who are attempting to cut me off.
^^^^ Sure you aren't the problem here?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
In response to some of the posts, yes, my point WAS name one working diesel that is also used in a passenger car. There are fewer than I can count on one hand so far.

AND not being de-tuned or otherwise modified for heavy-duty (or even medium or light-duty) truck use.

I believe so far, that leaves none

Let's all be nice

But I will say, all that "coal rolling" has led to the EPA restricting diesel emissions. If diesel manufacturers stepped up and voluntarily reduced particulates, it wouldn't be federally mandated. Same goes for gasser emissions.

But let's not get off-topic

Old 06-06-2011, 11:58 PM
p-nut
Senior User
I apologize. I have promised another moderator that I would tone it down some... So I will.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
We got an MWM motor in the Super Duties in Australia that is similar in size to the 4BT. 200hp 4.2l Turbo straight 6.
Got a little better gas milage (think around 20mpg) than the 7.3's, suffered quite a bit from turbo-lag below 1500rpm, but was SO much more reliable than the 7.3's.
They are useful to get the smoke/smell out of the way of other drivers. Also useful to avoid setting your paddock on fire in hay season
Is there not also an inline 6 6.4 L engine in the SD's there?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:24 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
Is there not also an inline 6 6.4 L engine in the SD's there?
nope - just the 7.3 PSD (manu'd in Brazil) and 4.2l I6.

MWM has since upgraded the engine for emissions/power, and has also been bought out by International.
MWM make the 2.8l powerstroke that has been available in the South American Ranger.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
not only is blowin smoke a complete waste of fuel, its also horrible for your motor. soot has the lubricitive properties of sand. . .luggin your motor on purpose to blow smoke is just contaminating your oil. i will/do smoke out tailgaters and people who make blatant idiotic and dangerous driving decisions.

as for the idea that less ford guys blow smoke than other brands, thats a bit ridiculous. there are equal amount of idiots behind ford wheels as there are any other brand. in fact, there are prob more since there are just more ford trucks around. maybe you dont see as many blowin smoke all over town because the fact is, there are less psd's makin the kinda power that allows them to cloud out the sky. but idiots are abundant regardless of brand. i dont see how you could make a viable argument that ford is somehow exempt from idiot drivers/owners.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
not only is blowin smoke a complete waste of fuel, its also horrible for your motor. soot has the lubricitive properties of sand. . .luggin your motor on purpose to blow smoke is just contaminating your oil. i will/do smoke out tailgaters and people who make blatant idiotic and dangerous driving decisions.

as for the idea that less ford guys blow smoke than other brands, thats a bit ridiculous. there are equal amount of idiots behind ford wheels as there are any other brand. in fact, there are prob more since there are just more ford trucks around. maybe you dont see as many blowin smoke all over town because the fact is, there are less psd's makin the kinda power that allows them to cloud out the sky. but idiots are abundant regardless of brand. i dont see how you could make a viable argument that ford is somehow exempt from idiot drivers/owners.
I will have to say that I see lots more punk kids driving dodges going around blowing smoke.... maybe its just because they can. Cause I guess a cummins is about the easiest to make smoke like a pig

Old 06-07-2011, 11:55 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

Yes. Other then to Prius drivers. LOL

Quick Reply: Gas vs PSD